Ross' Aspen

-
thats a good point they typically rusted...
mine rusted like an A body but now that I think about it the fenders rusted too so I just got lucky that the floors and trunk and extensions were mint and that the 1/4s weren't too bad.

That's the one bad thing about the F-bodies. If you live in the snow belt areas like I do they seem to have been made with sheetmetal that dissolved in water. Gorgeous little cars, when done right, like you are with yours, and very underappreciated, even within the Mopar circles. Granted they were built during the decline of Chrysler pre-Iaccoca and during the smog area, but we have ways of remedying that, like you're showing.
Any plans with suspension upgrades? I'm finally gonna get my joint (co-ownership with my dad) M-body into my garage this weekend and may start posting pics of that in this forum as I start bringing it back to life. It's already got the rear cop sway bar and the big brakes out back. The cop box upfront, but will be installing the aluminum K-frame biscuits, tweaking the rear leaf rubbers, etc. What route were you thinking?

That's the one bad thing about the F-bodies. If you live in the snow belt areas like I do they seem to have been made with sheetmetal that dissolved in water. Gorgeous little cars, when done right, like you are with yours, and very underappreciated, even within the Mopar circles. Granted they were built during the decline of Chrysler pre-Iaccoca and during the smog area, but we have ways of remedying that, like you're showing.
Any plans with suspension upgrades? I'm finally gonna get my joint (co-ownership with my dad) M-body into my garage this weekend and may start posting pics of that in this forum as I start bringing it back to life. It's already got the rear cop sway bar and the big brakes out back. The cop box upfront, but will be installing the aluminum K-frame biscuits, tweaking the rear leaf rubbers, etc. What route were you thinking?

I have gotten rid of all the iso mount stuff, I have the aluminum diskettes up front with e body XHD leafs (with the drop front hangers) and a b body 8 3/4. I have the cop rear sway bar for the back but I also have an adco bar that I might use instead. Up front I am going to give the kmember a full weld and skid plate. I have the complete firm feel rebuild kit with the stage 2 ps. I also have lower control arm boxing plates, and the fatman drop spindles so I can have to lowered stance and still have my t bars cranked firm. About the only thing I haven’t found is a set of HD Tbars and HD front sway bar. Also a set of sub frame connectors.
I also still need to find a Cordoba to get the big brakes off of as I still have the stock disks up front and stock drums in the back, but I want to get the car together and see what happens first and then maybe do a trick brake set up.

I have been trying to set the car up to be low and handle well, this suspension is not a drag strip one and mostly designed so I can take the car to the mountains and have a lot of fun!

And thank you for the complement about doing it right!

I have gotten rid of all the iso mount stuff, I have the aluminum diskettes up front with e body XHD leafs (with the drop front hangers) and a b body 8 3/4. I have the cop rear sway bar for the back but I also have an adco bar that I might use instead. Up front I am going to give the kmember a full weld and skid plate. I have the complete firm feel rebuild kit with the stage 2 ps. I also have lower control arm boxing plates, and the fatman drop spindles so I can have to lowered stance and still have my t bars cranked firm. About the only thing I haven’t found is a set of HD Tbars and HD front sway bar. Also a set of sub frame connectors.
I also still need to find a Cordoba to get the big brakes off of as I still have the stock disks up front and stock drums in the back, but I want to get the car together and see what happens first and then maybe do a trick brake set up.

I have been trying to set the car up to be low and handle well, this suspension is not a drag strip one and mostly designed so I can take the car to the mountains and have a lot of fun!

And thank you for the complement about doing it right!

You're welcome, though I look at it more as a statement of fact than a compliment. Like the way you're making the car your own, with the taillights and definately on the right path with the suspension.

My M made it to the house last night on the rollback. The rollback driver is a Level 4 certified Chrysler mechanic and has been wrenching for the local dealership since the '70s. He's loving the idea of bringing the Dip back to life as an old Chrysler tech. As he said, they were bulletproof and he never really touched 'em except routine maintainence. He wishes Chrysler were back on that trend.
That's probably the reason I like your F-body so much: the M-body is nothing more than a re-designed F and I loves my M-bodies.

Might want to take a skip over to dippy.org if you're looking for anything cop parts. Lot's of M-bodies being parted out over there if you're looking for anything specific.

If you're looking to make the switch over to pin type front brakes then you'll need the Cordoba parts, but if you're looking to upgrade to just the bigger rotors (11.75") remember the stock anchor will clear these and the rest of the parts will remain the same. From what I've read it's trade off: a little more weight for just a little more stopping distance.

ok here are the pics of what I got done today. I had to cut out the right side and move it in and down a bit to match the much better looking left side. It took a bit of doing but I think well worth the extra 5 hours or so of work. The last pic is something that is in the door jam on both sides, I have no idea what it was for so I welded it up on both sides, I figure since I am running a custom wiring harness it doesn't really matter. Just out of curiosity what was it?

man this car is close to paint 1 maybe 2 more days and I think I will be happy to put some color on, now I just need to figure out a booth time. and I still have a bit to do on the hood, but since I am going to black it out I am not going to worry about it just yet.

tail light fix1.JPG

tail light fix2.JPG

tail light fix3.JPG

tail light fix4.JPG

I think I've said if before and I'll say it again: love that custom taillight set up. Did you say that was in the door jamb? Little black button sticking through with wires attached?

I think I've said if before and I'll say it again: love that custom taillight set up. Did you say that was in the door jamb? Little black button sticking through with wires attached?

yep it's the door jam. but it's been so long since the car was together I have forgotten what it was. And thank you.

yep it's the door jam. but it's been so long since the car was together I have forgotten what it was. And thank you.

Don't quote me on this, but if I remember rightly that's the "door ajar" reminder. (Like the dome lights being on wouldn't tell you.) Same set up on my M-body with all four doors.

Don't quote me on this, but if I remember rightly that's the "door ajar" reminder. (Like the dome lights being on wouldn't tell you.) Same set up on my M-body with all four doors.

aw that could be. Ok thank you I don't feel so bad welding it up now. The car is getting all custom wiring and gauges so I'm not to worried about it. Thanks.

today's work. I finished up the redo of the tail lights and got the deck lid striped prepped and dp90ed. I also made mounting brackets for the lights.

It's getting closer!

PA220240.JPGr.jpg

Did you know that tomarrow will be one year for this thread ? your car has gone a long way since that first pic. keep up the killer work and keep the picks coming:cheers:

Did you know that tomarrow will be one year for this thread ? your car has gone a long way since that first pic. keep up the killer work and keep the picks coming:cheers:

Haha I wish it was only one years worth of pics on the tread!
The pics start about 6 1/5 years ago when I first started. I ended up driving the car with big windows and primer in high school for a total of about 2 weeks before I tore into the tear down. That was June ish of 05.
It was however a year ago that I took the car back from the guy who taught me body work as it had stalled and was going no ware.

What are your plans for the back bumper?
Roll pan possibly?
I am thinking about something like this, for right now though I am going to shave chop and tuck the stock one. I will shorten it to fit a lot more like a '71 demon bumper and also shave the bolt holes.

77 super bee.jpg

77 super bee frente.jpg

Great job, makes me want to build one too.
Looking forward to the next progress.

Nice work. It's going to be bad! I thought you were putting a scoop on it?
yep I have a nice cowl induction hood that I built. I am not worrying about painting the hood right now since it will be blacked out, and I can do that later.
The pic is from the first time I did the hood. I had to redo it and it look a lot better but I don't have any pics right this second.

In the drawings I would also keep the '76-'77 grill and change the light set up, they are just a rough idea of the bumpers, the exhaust would also have to be different to run a license plate.

DCP_2846.jpg

Hey Ross, you need to clean the lens on my camera. It is waterproof, so don't worry about it. Turn it on and put the lens under water then use a microfiber to clean it off.

Pop

well after tonight every one will know I am a sick and twisted person. Or I have been hanging out with JR too much.

So I started the bumper tonight because I figured I should do this before paint. Wow the bumper material is hard to work with, I found using the acetylene torch made it a little easier but not much. This is going to take a lot of time to make it right.

I cut it and rolled the bottom lip tonight, I have a new appreciation for blacksmiths

1.JPG

2.JPG

-
Back