SB, Indy 2.10 Int valve to piston clearance question

-

scampman416

Reaction score
I am building an R3 retro 340 engine, (416 ) 4"Scat Pro comp drag crank, scat H beam rods, and Diamond pistons #51007 4.070 bore. I will be running the Indy 230-2 heads 2.10 intake valve a bullet roller cam 268/276@ .050" with around .680" lift at the valve. that's with the T&D 1.65 rockers.
Q. the diamond pistons say in the fine print max valve size 2.07 gives a .045 radios clearance. Ive been told that there is no clearance problem here with the 2.10 valve. the problem I have is, I have to bore it for these pistons to test it and if there was any chance that the clearance is to tight I would change up to a different set of pistons before taking them out of the box.
Has any body been through this and mocked up there engine and found it to tight, with the Indy 2.10 valve.

I just checked my engine as it was appart. Mine are custom made diamonds in a 408 stroker that were originally built for w5 heads. I did a dry run with some plastercine in the intake pocket with my indy 245 heads; that's with a 2.15" valve and there was enough clearance. All that being said you should check the clearance yourself, but I would bet that it would be good.

Talked to a Diamond Tech and he sees they cut all there shelf pistons with a 2.140 to a 2.150 Valve relief, leaving me with .040 - .050 clearance. It's On the tight side so I guess I will see when I dry test it.

I was going to say biggest I've ran was 2.05 and they weren't even close. I dont think it will be a problem but as always check it...

-
Back