SB Xram Pics - Edelbrock STR12 Manifold

-

GTXperience

Orig Stealth Mod
Reaction score
Since I have had a couple of people ask to see pics of my STR12 that is going on the 408, here are a few shots. Thanks to memike for resizing them for me.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

GTX.

That is nice. How much HP is your 408 making to need that?
You will have to keep us posted on this one.

GTX.

That is nice. How much HP is your 408 making to need that?
You will have to keep us posted on this one.

I will be honest. There are two 408s being built and this is going on the lesser of the two (maybe 500hp). Running the single 4-bbl M1 with the Indybrocks would probably be the better choice but I have had this setup for way too long and it needs to be utilized. I guess the cool factor is playing a big part in this decision.

If for some reason, it has major issues, it will come off (but those issues would have to be pretty damn big for me to pull it off). I have talked to two other people running this setup on their strokers and they are having pretty good luck with it. There are some internals mods (mainly the addition of dams) that need to be made before it run. I will update when there are new developments. BTW: There is a good chance I will just break in the 408 with the M1 and then switch over to the STR12 after everything is dialed-in.

Sure would be nice to see a picture of this set-up in the car. I couldn't agree more that the wow factor is something else. This manifold must be rare because this is the first I have ever seen that fits a small block. I would almost give my right nut for one of those things.Keep us posted on your progress and good luck with your build.:burnout:

I've been looking for one--- what is generally considered their current value?

It's hard to tell. When I see them show up on eBay, they usually disappear quickly. The sellers get outside offers because people don't want to chance losing it in the auction and "cheat" their way into owning them.

An NOS one sold on eBay about 1.5 years ago for just under $2000.

Hi. I saw a used one go on e-bay last year for just under 1300.00 My brother bought one from a guy in 1980, still has it ,never been used.

I've been looking for one--- what is generally considered their current value?

Although not often, I think you can still find these for under a $1K. You won't find them on ebay for that price though. Recently, I believe one sold on racingjunk.com for $800 or so. It's going to be the smaller classified sites where you might find one at a somewhat acceptable price.

you lucky dog you, maybe i can find one of those one day i those things:cheers:

you lucky dog you, maybe i can find one of those one day i those things:cheers:

I know, I was howling at the moon the day I got these. The nut shelled story goes: I bought a '69 340 'Cuda A56 car from this gentleman in my area (actually about 90 minutes from me). As I was pushing the car out of his garage, I noticed it and a few other manifolds hanging on his wall. I asked him if he wanted to part with it and after a minute, he said, "Sure, but I'd have to get x amount of $ for it." I couldn't dig into my pocket fast enough. That was around 1995.

what carbs are you gonna run? 2 eddy 500's? 2 holleys?

if you hate it, i'll trade you an air gap and a trip to the massage parlor around the corner.

what carbs are you gonna run? 2 eddy 500's? 2 holleys?

if you hate it, i'll trade you an air gap and a trip to the massage parlor around the corner.

I was thinking of using a pair of 500's but am now thinking of trying a pair of Holley 660 center squirters.

Re: your offer. I just asked Joyce if that would be ok. Her exact words, "I don't know what an air gap is but you better not be thinking about going to a massage parlor in Oakland. Who offered this? Was it that Steve guy who has the shop in Oakland?" I replied, "Yes, that was Steve from Oakland and ... I think he'll pay for a massage parlor nearby here too - it doesn't have to be in Oakland."

Steve, I think you have one dirty look coming your way when we drive down to Spring Fling. ;-)

I was thinking of using a pair of 500's but am now thinking of trying a pair of Holley 660 center squirters.

Re: your offer. I just asked Joyce if that would be ok. Her exact words, "I don't know what an air gap is but you better not be thinking about going to a massage parlor in Oakland. Who offered this? Was it that Steve guy who has the shop in Oakland?" I replied, "Yes, that was Steve from Oakland and ... I think he'll pay for a massage parlor nearby here too - it doesn't have to be in Oakland."

Steve, I think you have one dirty look coming your way when we drive down to Spring Fling. ;-)

dirty look?:scratch: c'mon, they've only been raided 3 times and they even offer happy endings:cheers:...................

seriously though ben, the holleys might run good too. i have 1 or 2 holley 600 cores if you want.

dirty look?:scratch: c'mon, they've only been raided 3 times and they even offer happy endings:cheers:...................

seriously though ben, the holleys might run good too. i have 1 or 2 holley 600 cores if you want.

Awww ... happy endings ... it's just like reading a bedtime story when I was younger. Whoops ... wrong kind of happy ending. ;-)

Steve, I am going to do a little more research on the carbs and will let you know. Thanks for the offer.

The inside of the manifold looks alot like a SBC one. I have one of those & used the the book "Camaro-untold secrets" as a guide to setting mine up for the street. While they used 660s too I used a pair of Holley 500s and didn't have one problem on a 355sbc. The book mentions some tricks like reversing one of the carbs & using a Hemi airfilter for greater flow. Linkage had to be fabbed up & there's some things you can do to the accelerator pedal linkage to make it work better. Get the book I think it'll help a bunch.......

I've also wanted one of these intakes for quite a while being familiar with them back in the day. So I've been busy trying to get Edelbrock to start making them again. It's not out of the realm of possibility, the key of course is demand. Since FABO has lots of Small Block guys who like the cool factor it could make a difference. A phone call to Edelbrock a letter here or there.
Here's one of my current efforts. These guys have contacts through out Mopardom.

http://www.moparmax.com/departments/letters/iii_3-letters-2.html

Gonna have this engine at Spring Fling? Gotta see it when it's done. XRams are sooooo cool.

Gonna have this engine at Spring Fling? Gotta see it when it's done. XRams are sooooo cool.

No, it won't be at Spring Fling. I had some issues with the machining and I am not going to have time to put it together in time, break it in with the M1 and then switch over to the STR12. I've wanted to bring this car down to Spring Fling for years so I may wait until next year. I will bringing my '71 Cuda for Spring Fling and then again in Fall. I will post some pics though.

I've also wanted one of these intakes for quite a while being familiar with them back in the day. So I've been busy trying to get Edelbrock to start making them again. It's not out of the realm of possibility, the key of course is demand. Since FABO has lots of Small Block guys who like the cool factor it could make a difference. A phone call to Edelbrock a letter here or there.
Here's one of my current efforts. These guys have contacts through out Mopardom.

http://www.moparmax.com/departments/letters/iii_3-letters-2.html

I e-mailed Edelbrock too & was told that for them to re-cast the manifold the number of orders would have to be "substantial". Okay, that's understandable. I'm wondering if FABO could set up some sort of list/petition/pre-order list to present to Edelbrock to convince them. With the number of smallblocks being built & the nostalgia thing being so big it shouldn't take long to get a listthat would convince them....Well?

When I last spoke to Edelbrock, (The lady I spoke to knew a lot about Edel and their history so I think she has been with them for years.) She said it would have to be an order of 30 or so intakes for them to do a limited run.
I don't have that kind of capital, but having said that, the more request the better the odds of it happening.

SO where do I sign =P~ I'll gladly add my name to a list.

-
Back