School me on 340 exhaust manifolds

-
So I have a wanted as for manifolds.

My car is a 1970 duster fender tag says built oct 10...I have had some people say I am looking for June-August 1969 manifolds then. I thought I should be looking for June-August 1970 manifolds...what do you guys suggest???

Oct 10, what year? It was probably 69 for the 70 model year.

1970 Duster?

An Oct 10 Build date would be October of 1969.

. If my car is a 1970 duster and the fender tag build date is oct 10...wouldn't that mean it was built in oct 10 1970...as in the owner ordered it earlier?

I understand that if this car was pre made for 1970 it would have been built in late 1969...how can I tell the year my car was built?

I have all documentation for the car ( build sheet, fender tag, numbers matching)

i will admit that i will never fully understand the resto crowd,but as i see it,if the manifolds are not the ones that came on the car in the first place they are not the originals anyway and in that case you might aswell get the reproduction ones since you will never find the ones that came on the car anyway.
just my point of view.

that is the correct answer....not originals ones...not number matching...

that is the correct answer....not originals ones...not number matching...

Yes it would...

Can people please stop trying to tell me it doesn't matter. I never understood the importance of it either until I got this car. Always heard of people cloning cars and she arching for the right parts...that doesn't matter. 100% agree.

Please no more comments about this won't make my car original. Your comments are on def ears! If you havnt owned a #'s car, you wouldn't understand...I didn't until now.

Yes it would...

Can people please stop trying to tell me it doesn't matter. I never understood the importance of it either until I got this car. Always heard of people cloning cars and she arching for the right parts...that doesn't matter. 100% agree.

Please no more comments about this won't make my car original. Your comments are on def ears! If you havnt owned a #'s car, you wouldn't understand...I didn't until now.

That's a pretty course response to those trying to help you.

FWIW, if you do not have the original manifolds that came on the car from the production line, then it's not original.

That's a pretty course response to those trying to help you.

FWIW, if you do not have the original manifolds that came on the car from the production line, then it's not original.

Numbers matching pertains to parts with numbers corrisponding to dates and other parts codes specific to a car built in a specific year

Would it not be true that if someone bought a 1970 340 duster NEW and one manifold came cracked from the factory, and he got it replaced right away with another one with simular date code ( unknown to him) then he stored the car for decades...passed away...wife sold the car..would the buyer be able to tell that the car was not 100% numbers matching???

Sorry bad sport if you think that's a harsh comment towards people who you think is trying to help me...I don't see how any words on the post was helping me understand what year manifolds I was looking for. It was just an expression of opinion.

What if someone kid smashed the dome light on said vehicle? The owner replaced it...would it still be numbers matching?

This is exactly why one size don't fit all! If he wants all original that's great! Everyone has their own opinion so let him do as he pleases.He is asking for help finding parts,I'm sure he has had plenty of opinions. Sorry that I don't have the date code you are looking for but good luck finding them.

This is exactly why one size don't fit all! If he wants all original that's great! Everyone has their own opinion so let him do as he pleases.He is asking for help finding parts,I'm sure he has had plenty of opinions. Sorry that I don't have the date code you are looking for but good luck finding them.

still not sure what date code I'm looking for actually.

June-aug 1969?????
OR
June-Aug 1970????

fender tag says oct 10...how do I find out what year? yes the car is registered as 1970 duster

Thanks for everyones help so far

Using your approach, if you went to a dealer on Jan 1 1970 to buy a Duster, did elves in the backroom put it together for you on the spot? :)

When did the 1970 model year cars show up in showrooms? New model year in this day and age, when do they arrive? It's pretty close to the same.

1970 Model year cars were on showroom floors in Sept of 1969. 1970 model year production started Early Aug 1969 through late July 1970. Model year does not follow calendar year.

. If my car is a 1970 duster and the fender tag build date is oct 10...wouldn't that mean it was built in oct 10 1970...as in the owner ordered it earlier?

I understand that if this car was pre made for 1970 it would have been built in late 1969...how can I tell the year my car was built?

I have all documentation for the car ( build sheet, fender tag, numbers matching)

No, the model year starts in June of the year before. They started 1970 model year production in June/July of 69. It ended in May/June of 70.

If you have a 70 Duster that was built in October, you should look for manifolds from sep 69 and earlier.

Parts can sit in the factory for a while, especially back then. I just saw a guy offering a 71 340 block that was cast in Jan of 71, but had a VIN code for a 72 model year car. Component parts can sit in the factory for months, sometimes years. If they are still at the proper change level for the next year, they are used. Or they use them up at the end of the year production or run them out at the beginning of the next year's production to save the cost of scrapping them...

Your car could theoretically have a 68 casting date exhaust manifold that sat on an engine that had to be torn down and recycled, then parts reused. As long as the casting date is not AFTER the build date of the car...

But then again, what if it was replaced under warranty??? 5 years/50,000 miles....

As for the date code on the manifolds.

Is the date code 5 digits. With first two day, second two month and last one year?

Also, should the left and right manifold have the exact same date?

Thanks

Heat shields are reproduced and expensive. We used to throw them away...

No kidding, the stuff we used to throw away kills me. Like 340 exhaust manifolds for instance...just to slap on the crappiest headers ever made.

I may have found some...are these what I'm looking for??? This one kinda looks like an 07/11/9.

Is that 7 nov 1969?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 186
Another pic of other
This 7 August 1969
Or
July 8 1969?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 225
you might find more date code and production info searching the tech forums at moparts.com
In particular look for the thread started by Scott Harms about all the tiniest details and variations on 340 engines. That's in the restoration forum.

As for the extra stuff needed.
Outer fasteners should be studs. The studs are in the water jacket (in other words a little pipe sealant is needed). My recollection is that they are coarse thread into the head and fine thread sticking out. This matters because some? 340s got a special threaded tube with a hex on the end rather than a regular nut.

Underneath the nut, a thick conical washer is used regardless of year. My recollection is that its also used on the outer attaching bolts, but not the inner ones. Verify all this with shop books and actual survivors. The washers helps distribute the clamping force properly.

If you are going this far, you may want reasonably close (or exact correct) head markings on the bolts. Can't help here, but there a people who have collections of bolts they've pulled off cars and are in good shape.

Gaskets. I think 70 had the metal heat shield on one side. No gaskets used (other than that). If the machine marks are still somewhat visible on the exhaust manifold's ports, its probably true enough for a metal to metal seal. That's been my experience. I also check trueness on a flat glass plate or machine surface.

Gaskets part 2: Head pipe gaskets are hard to get in the right size. Both Accurate and TTI have them in stock. Accurate's use a metal fire ring. TTI's are slightly different design. Sealing here is a pain.

Head pipe attaching bolts. Can't help you here for factory correct. Just remember one of them goes in from underneath like the shop books show.

any pics of the said car? is it the car in your avatar? as long as the date code and part# match that's as good as it gets nobody could tell unless you let them know they were replaced!

2863553 and 2863549 are the numbers you are looking for...usually about 400-500 a set...and yes they will have a date code on them

Yes, I paid $300 for mine they are pitted , not the best but it was ten years ago when I bought them. I painted them with cast blast . Don't forget about the heat riser valve that sticks on the passenger side. I was advised to "remove " it by cutting the shaft. I had a problem with headers bottoming out on the passenger side. They do have good headers out there, but they are expensive. Heat is an issue with headers also. I wanted to get the car back to "close" to original anyway so I opted for manifolds Mainly to get the exhaust up tight to the underside of the car. As far as schooling, the manifolds are 340 specific, they are designed to be high flow so don't think they will restrict performance. The 318-360 manifolds may not be as open as far as flow.

Do do June-July 1969 Manifolds flow better than May or August?

Barrett-jackson called?

Hope you don't plan on running them, if you drive your car and not just wipe it with a diaper; that's an item I'd keep in a box on the shelf, they are fragile. Along with that numbers matching block and trans.

Man, that has got to be stressful every time you drive it being obsessed about representing Mopar to such a caliber without compensation. I know they sure don't care.

Hope you find your unicorn and more importantly, I hope it bring joy to your house!

-
Back