setting points and timeing

-

32 hooptie

Reaction score
Could somone tell me what to set the points and timeing on a 1970 318 2 bbl duster?
Thanks

Yes, set the points in the trash can.…your timing is perfect to get a new distributer.:-D

If you have a dwell meter, set the dwell to 30 to 34 degrees. If you do not, use the thickness gauges and set to .016 to .018 as mentioned above. Remember to lube the breaker cam so the rubbing block does not wear out! As far as timing is concerned, TDC is probably spec. but 10 degrees may work very well. Remember the 340 was 10 degrees BTDC. If you can get away with this amount, cylinder pressure will be improved and the engine will run stronger. Also by running 91-93 octane fuel, timing may be "adjusted" up some and the engine may run even better. [when tuning, small timing adjustments,{max of 3 degrees} road test, listen for "spark knock" and adjust as necessary]

There was nothing wrong with points and zero + or - 2 degrees back when... the distributer was new, gasoline was 8 cents per gallon, avaerage travel was 6000 miles per year or less.
Today we need some form of electronic ignition and 6 to 8 degrees before tdc to get all we can from the fuel available.

Like 360 said... I set dwell at 28-30° which I think puts gap around .016. Timing I'd go something like 5-10° initial and see if it pings. ore than likely it won't.

-
Back