Shed on the cheap.

-
Well, LOL, plain and simple, we need more photos!!!

attachment.jpg

Did you put anything down for an underfloor/ ground vapor barrier?

Well, here's a update. We are currently freezing our a$$es off but we are making progress. We have most of the roof structure in place and the walls and floor are ready for the plywood. I am not sure if we are going to be able to put the shingles on before the snow hits but we will have something on the roof to protect the plywood. We are going to keep plugging along at least until walls and roof are complete. More pics are coming.
IMG_20181110_135020342_HDR.jpg
IMG_20181110_135015385_HDR.jpg
IMG_20181110_135007250_HDR.jpg
IMG_20181110_135037684_HDR.jpg
IMG_20181110_135031802_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Hey....you used my "lean to" roof idea!! Yea!! if you put plywood down on the roof you can buy an inexpensive plastic tarp (harbor Freight) to cover the wood to protect it from the snow (temporarily). Treblig

Hey....you used my "lean to" roof idea!! Yea!! if you put plywood down on the roof you can buy an inexpensive plastic tarp (harbor Freight) to cover the wood to protect it from the snow (temporarily). Treblig
Yep, it was a good idea. The shed roof goes under the garage gutter so if the gutter cloggs the water goes on to the shed roof and flows to the shed gutter and to the ground keeping the area between the shed and garage dry. More to come.

If that was me it would be a metal roof. I would darn sure be looking towards a roof quick!!! By the way this is turning out way better than I envisioned when I read the title LOL

If that was me it would be a metal roof. I would darn sure be looking towards a roof quick!!! By the way this is turning out way better than I envisioned when I read the title LOL
YES!! Plus you can extend the sheet metal more toward the adjacent building to further control water run off!!

Thanks, It's not totally free but I hope to keep it around $1000 to $1500.00 but it's not bad for a 12 x 24 shed.

THAT'S CHEAP!!! Go try and buy a storage building that size for that price....ain't hap'nin'!!
LOL, Yeah that's what I thought. I am trying to be the king of cheap since I broke the bank on my 418 stroker. I just want to show what can be done with a little imagination and ingenuity. A lot of places throw these pallets way so if you get a chance to grab them this would be fairly easy to replicate. Honestly I owe a lot to my 3 buddies Larry, Bob and Greg (all of which are brothers, I'm sort of the adopted brother) they show up when I'm not around and work and actually it was my buddy Bob who came up with the idea to use the pallets whole. Larry and I were going to take them apart for the oak 2X4s. Anyway I am keeping track of the costs and I will let you knoe what the final tally is.

I built a gigantic carport for my driveway and used heavy gauge sheet metal for the majority of the roof. Later I added an addition to the carport and decided to use heavy Vinyl (or maybe it was Asphalt).
Ondura 4-ft x 6.58-ft Corrugated Asphalt Roof Panel
756541001531.jpg

Either way it saved lots of money, is pretty heavy duty and has held up for many years so far. Also if you get something that is more transparent it will let some light into the rooms unless you plan to electrify it?? I bought the roofing at Lowes.

I built a gigantic carport for my driveway and used heavy gauge sheet metal for the majority of the roof. Later I added an addition to the carport and decided to use heavy Vinyl (or maybe it was Asphalt).
Ondura 4-ft x 6.58-ft Corrugated Asphalt Roof Panel
View attachment 1715247963
Either way it saved lots of money, is pretty heavy duty and has held up for many years so far. Also if you get something that is more transparent it will let some light into the rooms unless you plan to electrify it?? I bought the roofing at Lowes.
I thought about using something like you're saying but I don't know if the wife will like the look. She will most likely want the same style and color of shingles that are on the house. I will give it a whirl and run it by her.

Those asphalt corrogated sheets come in many colors u might find one close to ur roof shingle color. Sometimes u just have to bite the bullet!!

Those asphalt corrogated sheets come in many colors u might find one close to ur roof shingle color. Sometimes u just have to bite the bullet!!
I will bite the bullet if it's not being shot at me LOL. I will speak with her and see what she thinks.

Alrighty then,
Here is the "Shed On The Cheap". Well on Thursday (while out of town in Boston) I was watching my DVR through my Slingbox when I all of s sudden lost communication with it. I tried reconnecting but couldn't. I called my wife and she said we had a power failure, I told her aw, it will probably be on a a couple of hours. Talked to her the next morning and the power was still out and worst of all NO HEAT. This kind of stuff ALWAYS happens when I'm out of town. It turns out that that the power failure was much worse than I had anticipated. The heavy snow had caused havoc with the power lines, we had a transformer blew out and catch fire and the lines were on the ground. I was scheduled to come home latr Friday but I rescheduled and mad it back around 7:30. The whole neighborhood was dark but my buddy Larry and his brother Bob (who is a good friend as well) took time to dig out my generator and get it started for my wife. This was not without trouble, the gas tank had a pinhole leak in it so they remove the gas tank and propped it up on an angle on my workmate. This solved the no power no heat situation. On Saturday we had to work on the shed in the snow with only a generator for power, I guess we're hardcore. Here are the pictures that I took sorry there's only a couple. Yesterday I move the generator to my buddy Bob's house as he is still without power and the wires are still laying on the street. No word as to when he will get power back.
IMG_20181118_155130021_HDR.jpg
IMG_20181118_155116904.jpg
IMG_20181118_155111270.jpg

Okay,
So here is the "Shed In The Cheap" update. We we managed to trim the ends of the rafters off, and finally attach the OSB board to the roof. It's coming along, hopefully we will have something walls bext week. Enjoy.
IMG_20181123_183655550.jpg
IMG_20181123_183701751.jpg
IMG_20181123_170428022_01.jpg
IMG_20181123_170428022.jpg

-
Back