Shop Heat

-
Thank you. Do you notice a significant difference in your electric bill? I realized as I am working through this, that because my ceiling isn't insulated the heater that I have now will just run and never kick off. So I am just wasting money and energy. I need to insulate my ceiling first and then see what happens.

I appreciate everyone's responses in this thread. I was trying to find something in the short term so I can get the car shot in epoxy, but waiting until March or so, isn't the end of the world.
I only run the heater if I am going to be out in the garage for a while. It's not like I heat it all the time. Our electric bills during Dec-Feb might be $20 higher each month max due to running the heater. It's worth that to me to have a 60 degree garage to work in when it is 10 degrees outside. That being said, you certainly can't paint with an electric heater on. If you want to get the car in epoxy, look around for a paint booth that can be rented. There is a nice one in my area that charges $20 per hour, but the clock is only running when the fan and heater are on.

Don't limit yourself to a mobile home furnace if you go that route. I picked up a 145000 BTU furnace for 400. Doesn't take up much space and heats my 1500 sq Ft great. In my garage at home I have a 240 electric unit like the one you showed and it does a good job on my 2 car garage, except that I hear from my wife about the electric bill when I run it too much.

all I know is that I have one of those portable propane shop heater's that looks (and sounds) like a little jet engine. I only used it once because it put out so much moisture into the air that immediately condensed into water on EVERY cold surface. Between the noise, and the condensation that was enough for me.

-
Back