Should I bore a 74 318 to 340 ci or just go with a 360?

318 or 360

Votes: 61 27.1%

Votes: 164 72.9%

• Total voters
-
Ok i'm building a 318 so i'm bias to the little underdog but what gets me is the fact no one has said a word adout this guy using his duster as a DRIFT CAR!!!!! Lol that is great when you get it done there better be some videos posted racerdude5
hey i was at the drags wedensday and they have drifting in the pits, a black shortbed ram came out and just crossed it up all around the track.it was sick as hell!he was tearing them furrin guys up!loland by the way wheels up 73 was out there kickin *** as usual

Throw the 4.00 inch arm,if you have the coin.You are looking at least 3 to 4k. If on a budget,work a 360 .

Run production Magnum heads, even if you keep your original 318. They flow like aftermarket LA heads and leave you looking stock. Using them will free up some budget to pay for the custom pistons you're going to need.

More and likely you won't be able to bore your 318 to 340, so I'd build 360 depending on your budget I'd worry about the Top End 1st heads and valve train over stroking it.

Interesting.Where did Strokers,and my last post go?kinda curious,about his theories on rod to strokeratio,and camming.I thought gnore this post,idiot at work.it was an intelligent question. I

I guess somebody didn't like it. Certainly was nothing inappropriate and I thought it went well with the topic. Oh well. what do I know?

I have seen the power and torque a 360 can shell out with a good set of heads, a hot cam and a good set of pistons. I think the 360 took the bad wrap from being choked down in the emissions era where it didn't have a chance to fully perform to the potential it could have like the earlier 340's and so forth. I myself prefer the RB platform, but had a friend who had his aspen with a warm 360 in it, with a good stall converter, and gears. Man was it a sleeper.

I ALWAYS WANTED TO STROKE A 318. ! HAVE NO INTEREST OR FAITH IN THE 360. i WOULD LOOK FOR A 340 BLOCK IF NOT STROKING THE 318

stuff the 318 in the corner.... in storage...

find a 360 and stroke it up to 408 ... best of all worlds..

when done just put the 318 back in.. and now you have a 408 for other uses....

As much fun as a 318 could potentially be... i am sure later you will want more!

Looks like the 318 takes the back seat in the polls again. I voted for the teen myself just because I always pull for the underdogs. Being that, it looks like you will have a good pick in the bone yards for a good teen build lol.

All the more reason to use the 318...dare to be different.

And when you blow their doors off...say yeah it's a 318...you don't need to mention that it's been stroked.

Paul

Looks like the 318 takes the back seat in the polls again. I voted for the teen myself just because I always pull for the underdogs. Being that, it looks like you will have a good pick in the bone yards for a good teen build lol.

Cheapest power is a 360, zero deck pistons, decent heads, and decent cam. This will be the most power per dollar you can build. Next best choice is a 318 with zero deck pistons, cam, heads; that will make very good power too.

You need to figure out your budget first. Then after that your options can be narrowed down.

If your budget allows putting a 4" crank in either 318 or 360 will give you big block torque.

Don't bore to 340, that will weaken the block and eliminate the possibility of any future rebuilds.

318s are great engines once you get the compression up and put some good heads on them. But the 360 with its bigger bore and bigger stroke has a huge advantage over a 318 right from the start.

... economy is one of his goals.
perhaps those with 390 0r 408 could chime in..

The 340 has a reputation because it's the only small block performance engine Mopar built during the horsepower era. You can build a 318 just the same. If you bore your 318 to 340 it's still a 318. It says so right there on the block. The only reason to have a 340 in the first place is the cool factor. I made a decision a long time ago to leave the 340s to the people that think they need a 340. The decision came when I cracked a cylinder wall in my 340. You find out real quick that you can't go to Wal Mart and buy a new block on the cheap like you can a 360 or a 318. It's hard enough being a Mopar guy in the first place. If I was about parts availability and budget I would run a Chevy. But let's not add any more trouble than we already have.
Here's the deal. Two people with two different engines are given the same budget. One has a 318 and the other has a 340. After the build is complete they'll have engines that run pretty close to neck and neck at the finish line. Ask anyone with a 340 if they've ever lost to a 318 at the track. Happens all the time.

You need to define horsepower needs. What does a drift car need?

My understanding is stroker plus high revs does not = long life.

Boring cylinder walls to the max seems dumb to me.

For high revs. I would just use the 318 bore, boost it with 9.5:1 coml ratio and do a good cam/lifter/spring combo, and reputable machine shop to port and flow test the heads. Im sure or i hope your already looking in to forged bottom end to go with the top end performance your looking for. The factory la shaft style rockers are capable of 6400 rpm as tested and proven by hot rod magazine. And the boosted 318 with 4.10 gears would produce plenty of power and torque to go slide ways on the weekend. JMHO

I ALWAYS WANTED TO STROKE A 318. ! HAVE NO INTEREST OR FAITH IN THE 360. i WOULD LOOK FOR A 340 BLOCK IF NOT STROKING THE 318

Don't be ignorant dude. We both know 360's are great engines. And turn off the goddamn caps.

7 month old thread. Original poster has not posted since then.

Probably has a souped up Civic by now.

:eek:ops:
:wack:
:sign3: (me - forgot to check the date - again)

-
Back