Should I rebuild a "good engine" to fix oil leak?

-

Ken71Twister

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've owned since new. My 71 with stock 318 was rebuilt in 1990 approx 70K miles ago. I ran compression check today and low was 146 psi and high was 152 psi. The engine is running great. The problem is that it drips enough oil that it is not welcome in the garage. (I have a new car cover still in box and gravel parking area in side yard where I can park it.) I'm preparing the car for a paint job and intend to keep it 'till I drop (hopefully 20+ years). I've not resorted to oil additives to stop the drip. I can easily replace valve cover gaskets - but the other minor leaks will require pulling the engine and probably involve a full engine rebuild after going that far.

I'm not looking for a show car - just want to keep my car looking and running good and I will eventually drive it as my second car rather than as my hobby car.

Debate is this: Should I rebuild it now or are there some reasonable steps I might take to reduce the drips for the short term and save the rebuilt for a time when engine performance tells me that I need a rebuild.

FYI - The car was originally Por-Red and, after over 20 years as a black car with agrey hood, it will soon be back to its original Por-Red with a black hood. The oil leak is more of an annoyance than a need.

tx,
Ken

where is the leak ? those additives are garbage , if you plan on keeping the car change the gaskets

It's really not hard to change the gaskets that are leaking.
Don't rebuild it unless it needs it.
That's what i would do.

Order a fel pro engine kit,set some time aside and do it.Just did mine. The peace of mind alone is worth it.

Order a fel pro engine kit,set some time aside and do it.Just did mine. The peace of mind alone is worth it.

X2

I will be changing my 318 from a two barrel to a four barrel and swapping the cam and lifters. Since this involves replacing the gaskets for the intake, valve covers, timing chain cover, and the water pump, I am going to get a full gasket kit and change the rear main seal. It has been leaking a small nuisance drip of oil ever since I got the car (2 years ago) and I have been using a drip pan to catch it.

I will probably pull the heads to check the cylinder wear and bores since I don't know how many miles are on the engine. The compression is good on all cylinders and it doesn't smoke but I have no information on the engine.

Try to find where the oil leak is coming from first before you dump all that time and money into a full rebuild. Oil can leak from the valve covers, oil pan, timing cover, or intake manifold (usually that one affects performance though). You could also check the oil pressure sender at the back of the block. FYI a bad rear main seal will cause only a couple drops after the car is parked and turned off.

If it runs good and does not smoke or make noise, I would pull that sumbitch out so quick to JUST do gaskets on it, it would make your head spin. No need to tear into a good running engine. Just my 2 cents.

Peace of mind...Pull the engine,replace all gakets and frost plugs.While it,s out and the oil pan off,I,d also replace the timing chain and gears.I,d also replace any rusty exhaust studs.Some fresh engine paint and re-install.you,ll be glad you did this in 5 yrs.This is just what I,d do.:D

dye test it, dye into the oil...and a black light....up on stands running....shine the black light all over the bottom of the engine, the leak with illuminate purple'ish pink.

it's probably the oil pan gasket/seals....and even possibly the oil filter plate/adaptor.

Spray some degreaser on hit, wipe it around with a brush, and hose it off. Then do what wild says. Could be rear main, cam plug in back of engine, oil plug in back of engine along with what others said. If done right that engine will not leak a drop.

I would not rebuild it. Sometimes rebuilds don't work out too well and since the engine does not need it why do it?

I had this problem on my car last week. I found the leak after cleaning the engine and added some dye. It was a leaking oil sending unit.

I'll clean the engine good this weekend and pay attention to where the oil is coming from. I know the valve covers are one source - but I suspect there more going on further down someplace. Unfortunately - my high pressure sprayer (Honda engine) doesn't want to start and that might get me off track to get that thing running tomorrow. I have too many gas operated gadgets that don't forgive sitting idle for too long.

It was a leaking oil sending unit.
Ditto on my 383 years ago. Thought it was a valve cover, cleaned everything well and found a drop would come out of the oil sender every minute. Quick fix. I can't believe people are saying "yank it out". Have they ever done that? I have done a re-ring on several engines with the block in the car. Easier than disconnecting from the tranny, etc. Many people do that. Easiest on a transverse 4 cyl since you don't even have to pull the steering link.

Changed cam and had a bad oil leak. The rear cam plug had fallen or been knocked out. Anyone ever done this on a small block (273)? I am really upset as now my clutch is coated in oil and entire system has to be pulled.

-
Back