Should Members of a Club Sponsoring a Car Show Be Eligible for Awards

-
So, what do you do if the majority of people who show up to said car show ARE members of said club that's sponsoring the show? That's normally how it is around here. But then, even if Vixen was show worthy, I would not enter into any shows. I prefer the cruise in type activities.
There's not a car club in my area that allows their members to enter their own shows. They all show up, but are ineligible for judging or participant voting.

So, what do you do if the majority of people who show up to said car show ARE members of said club that's sponsoring the show? That's normally how it is around here. But then, even if Vixen was show worthy, I would not enter into any shows. I prefer the cruise in type activities.

:mindblown: Then I guess a dozen people get a sack full of trophies.

How do you guys feel about cars leaving before the awards are handed out? Is that frowned upon?

I don't think it a big deal. We have a Facility mandated rule to keep them parked till 1pm just for safety reason of cars driving around spectators. Traffic is tough in SoCal and people come from a distance. But I think you need to start awards around 2 pm and keep moving with a steady pace.

I've seen some other brand shows that did awards from 3 to 4:30 even. C'mon, get things going and stop with the gibber gabber!

Last edited:
My 76 Ventura took Best Pontiac in one show, because it was the ONLY Pontiac there. I also took a best in class win with my last fox body Mustang in the only judged event that I ever entered it in. I can honestly say that I did not think it was deserving of first place, but the judges saw different. My 70 Dart was a much better car, built 90% by me, yet it rarely got any recognition in the dozens of times I entered judged shows. The 75 Dart Sport will likely never be entered in any show, unless there is a category for shitbox. Lol

What about car shows that don't have judging?

We do one event without judging (Show and Shine) and another 2-day show where one day no judging and 2nd day judging available if you choose.

View attachment 1715946285

View attachment 1715946287

View attachment 1715946288

View attachment 1715946290

View attachment 1715946291

View attachment 1715946292

View attachment 1715946293

View attachment 1715946294

View attachment 1715946295

View attachment 1715946296
Yeah, that’s cool.

It would surely be their loss if they won something, wouldn't it?

Absolutely, but some people don't attend car shows for the $5 trophy and some folks simply don't want to spend the whole day there.

That's actually one of the biggest reasons why I don't bring my junk to cars shows. I have a short attention span don't want to feel obligated to stay there for 10 hrs. If you catch me at a car show, I'm in attendee-only mode.

Absolutely, but some people don't attend car shows for the $5 trophy and some folks simply don't want to spend the whole day there.

That's actually one of the biggest reasons why I don't bring my junk to cars shows. I have a short attention span don't want to feel obligated to stay there for 10 hrs. If you catch me at a car show, I'm in attendee-only mode.
Hit the nail on the head, I no longer want to spend all day sitting in the sun, and while I really don't mind talking to people and answering questions about my car, I just don't have a need anymore for a trophy that will simply collect dust on a shelf.

That's why it's nice to have a little swap meet going if you can. That makes for some activity at the show. And that's helpful to the people showing cars so they can get parts for their cars.

I hear lots of time where someone will bring a car in the show field, go to the swap meet in morning, and then say they didn't really get a chance to look at the other show car. Because they got so preoccupied in the swap meet and talking to people, they didn't get back to the show field until 1pm

IMG_5969.JPG

IMG_5983.JPG

IMG_6031.JPG

Last edited:

I don't mind spending the day at an outdoors even, as long as it's not a million and a half degrees outside. If it's hot, I get done pretty quick.

Worst I've seen was at a Muscle Car Review magazine show in Sacramento in 1989. Our GTS was freshly painted (the correct color), but didn't have the stripe on it (horizontal stripe). There were a handful of other minor things that were not 100% correct. I told them not to judge my car, but they insisted so I said, fine. At the same show was a clone GTS convertible (no docs, wrong color, wrong upholstery, lots of things wrong). As the three judges approached our car I overheard one of them stating that our car had the wrong wheel opening moldings. I told him that mine had the correct moldings. These guys were supposed to be "experts", but they had seen the clone first and did give him an award (yes, it was a very nicely done car, but far from concours).

MOPAR Alley in Campbell gave out the "best of show" to one of their member's who's car wiper motor was wrapped in black electrical tape. But he was a "good old boy".

How do you guys feel about cars leaving before the awards are handed out? Is that frowned upon?

If an award winner leaves our club car show early, we either mail his award to him or make arrangements for him to pick it up.

I don't care if folks leave early, but what really pisses me off is someone starting up their car and leaving DURING the awards ceremony, making the folks doing the show and everybody else wait until the MC can be heard over their exhaust noise (and believe me, normally I love a loud exhaust).

I feel if you're hosting, the awards should go to visitors. I mean, if you're just going to give trophies to each other why did you invite others?

Our local county car club gives awards usually to their own and leaves others out. That's one reason among many Kitty and I won't join.

I don't care if folks leave early, but what really pisses me off is someone starting up their car and leaving DURING the awards ceremony, making the folks doing the show and everybody else wait until the MC can be heard over their exhaust noise (and believe me, normally I love a loud exhaust).

One idea... If possible try to divert the exit route away from the MC and awards area for a larger buffer zone. Caution tape and stakes/cones. And try to setup the awards area away some from the exit gate.

On top of the noise, you've got a concentration of people/pedestrians vs. show cars driving. Letting people out before awards can help that traffic problem.

Separated entry and exit gates are great, but not always practicable or possible.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the EXCELLENT responses. I think my mind is changed a bit. I guess it DOES all come down to fairness and letting EVERYBODY know that the judging is honest and above board.

-
Back