Show us your 999 cars!

-

65dartcharger

Dart Charger 273 Historian
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
In 1965 and 1966 Chrysler produced some odd 999 paint code A-body cars. Let's show all the 999 cars and which color they had. I'll start with mine. 1965 DartCharger painted in yellow. Yellow became an option in late March 1965. The DartCharger had this color from the start in September 1964.

004.jpg

Yellow became an option in late March 1965.

Hi Ulf - my 65 GT vert isn't a 999 car but is the same yellow as yours - build date April 2, 65. Might be one of the first production cars with that color! No pictures since it's in bare metal rightr now.

Hi Don! Your gotta be one of the first. What I know of they started April 1st with this color. Do you have 888 on your fendertag? By the way, thanks for the help. I'm so glad that I finally got it.

Don! Do you have any shipping labels for the rear seat springs? My rear seat has shipping labels from the manufacturer to Chrysler. Is you car produced in St Louis or Detroit?

Don! Do you have any shipping labels for the rear seat springs? My rear seat has shipping labels from the manufacturer to Chrysler. Is you car produced in St Louis or Detroit?

The first thing I did when I bought the car in Mar 84 was pull the rear seat hoping to find a build sheet. YES! I have carefully preserved the original build sheet. There were no other labels or anything else under the seat cushion or (later) behind the back seat back (I would have saved them if present). My GT is a Detroit-built car and sold in Albany NY (which I already knew from a dealer decal inside the glove box) per Chrysler Historical.

As a side note I did find a seat manufacture's label of some kind when I pulled the rear seat from my 65 Dart wagon (car made in LA and seat label also from LA) - but no build sheet.

Are you coming for the Nationals again this year? We're staying at the Super 8 in Zanesville this year.

When I pulled the rear seat this is what I found! Shipping labels from Allen Industries in Compton, CA. They are still in business. I Google the name and according to a Ford website they also did the seat springs for the Mustang!

Here is the pictures of them.

I'm not coming over this year. I have plans for Detroit in October but we'll see. I was close to Carlisle too, but we have to much work!

096.jpg

097.jpg

LOL! I just looked at the shipping tag I found under the rear seat of the wagon and it's also from Allen Industries in Compton CA. Number on it is 2410256B and does not have the pull-off tab on the right. Got to correct myself - I did have a build sheet under the wagon's seat - bad memory lol!

What a coinsidence! I wish I found the broadcast sheet to but I have heard that the LA plant didn't put the sheet in the car(under carpet, above glove box or under the seat)! I'm not sure why or the reason!

Did your car had the orginal carpet? In my old station wagon I found a label from the manufacturer, Redwood Company. It was located at the left rear corner under the drivers seat at the end of the front carpet.

I'd be willing to bet that my station wagon came from the LA assembly plant - a lady in LA was selling it on eBay and as far as she knew, it had been in CA all it's life. I might have to invest in the $45 for Chrysler Historical and get all the info on it.

Don!

This is how the 1965 VIN# starts;
Cyl Detroit Los Angeles St Louis
Dart station wagon 6 2552- 2555- 2557-
Dart 270 station wagon 6 2752- 2755- 2757-
Dart station wagon 8 L552- L555- L557-
Dart 270 station wagon 8 L752- L755- L757-

Hope it helps you!

Thanks! I will check on that when I get home and let you for sure

sent from my iPhone

Mine was an original LA car and it is still here. There is no fender tag and I have not found a build sheet yet. But according to the VIN it is a /6 and not a 270. The exterior trim is not 270 but there is a 270 emblem on the dash. It also has a 68 or 9 four speed (originally 3 on the tree)

That is a nice wagon you got Timbolia! Can the privious owner might have changed the outer dash with the 270 script?

They arn't so easy to find today. Is it s summer cruiser or a daily driver?

I drive it every day to work, 5 miles or so each way, and drop the kids off at school when it is not summer vacation.

My 66 formula S has 999 code it is dark green. Does the 999 mean it had a stripe?

Original door panels will have Allen Industries stamped across the backboards too.

Redfish! You are right. Even the rear panels have Allen Industries stamped on them.

Dervco! The 999 paintcode means that the color was a special order. It's rare. Not any color in trhe standard catalog! Any pictures?

Redfish! You are right. Even the rear panels have Allen Industries stamped on them.

Dervco! The 999 paintcode means that the color was a special order. It's rare. Not any color in trhe standard catalog! Any pictures?

The car has been repainted and you can see that it had a stripe on it up close. How would I find out what the code would mean? I thought that the stripe was the special order because the green was probably a stock color.

17294ij_19.jpg

My guess without being so into 66 cars is that the paint was special order but the stripe came as standard with the Formula S package!

-
Back