Size of power steering drain plug

-

BenOwen

Reaction score
The guy I bought my 73 Duster from seemed to have a place holder bolt for the plug. fluid dripped out

It looks like it needs to be a 5/16 bolt.

Is that correct?

Photos are very helpful
I'm not sure how a photo would be helpful in this case. I probably need a bolt size chart . My manual doesn't seem to indicate the size.
The bolt that was in it was slightly smaller . the next size up looks like 5/16 in. I was wondering if any one knew precisely .

I'm not sure how a photo would be helpful in this case

I am not aware of any Mopar P/S that has a drain plug. A picture would be helpful

There is your answer why photos are VERY helpfully.

I too am not aware of a drain plug on ANY PS pump I have ever worked on from Ford, Chevy or Chrysler

My best guess is you are referring to a bolt that holds the resivour to the pump, or a front mounting bolt.

But without photos Boone can help you.

:thumbsup:

0B05897A-69DD-4DE3-BBFD-9AFE7A6FCB43.jpeg

No pix?? Well, take it out and see what flies out lol.

This is the pump I have. If that bolt is just for a mounting hole, the leak seems to be coming in that area. When I pulled the bolt out it had fluid on it
I've checked the hoses and they seem fine.
Is there something else I could be inspecting?

20220605_134044.jpg

This is the pump I have. If that bolt is just for a mounting hole, the leak seems to be coming in that area. When I pulled the bolt out it had fluid on it
I've checked the hoses and they seem fine.
Is there something else I could be inspecting?

View attachment 1715937651
That's a mounting bracket hole. There's an "O" ring on the inside of that hole between the reservoir and the main pump housing. Assuming that the "O" ring is still good and in place, installing the correct bolt should cure your leak problem. I believe a 5/16 coarse bolt is correct for that hole. The length should be about 1" IIRC.

That's a mounting bracket hole. There's an "O" ring on the inside of that hole between the reservoir and the main pump housing. Assuming that the "O" ring is still good and in place, installing the correct bolt should cure your leak problem. I believe a 5/16 coarse bolt is correct for that hole. The length should be about 1" IIRC.

Pump has to come out,and replace o-ring. There should be a big o-ring too.
There is a seal kit,that also contains the o-rings. You will need the casting number off pump behind pulley to identify. Saginaw
Federal
Chrysler
Were all used.

You can buy seal kits for them. I bought one for my small TRW pump. I "think" I ordered it on Oreilly.com for delivery to the store. Rock auto may also have them, or summit.

You can buy seal kits for them. I bought one for my small TRW pump. I "think" I ordered it on Oreilly.com for delivery to the store. Rock auto may also have them, or summit.
To update: I took the pump out. It looked all beat up-- hammer hits, cross threaded holes-- I just replaced it with a remanufactured part from rock auto. no problems now

-
Back