Small block mini starter

-
I agree with 66PlyValiant. They come on all rear wheel drive V6 and V8 from at least the early 90s. I have encountered one situation where the mini starter would not clear something on a block casting but run them on all of my 318, 340 and 360 combos currently in service love them and much easier to install with or without headers. You might have to modify the wiring connectors slightly on some but easy fix and very worth it.

Mopar Dude you wouldn't happen to have the number for that starter would you? When you look up the number for the 97 Dakota 5.2 they give you two options that will work and I just looked at the number of the one I had in my car and it matched one of the numbers they called for on the dakota it is something like 174666. Don't quote me on that number but it was something like that. That one is the one that the header tube laid right on top of so, hopefully there is a smaller one.
Pat Faley
67 NB S Clone
69 vert project
East Peoria IL

I just bought the same one today at Auto Zone for $94. The P/N is 17274 and also from a 97 Dakota 5.2L. Here are some pics of it.

View attachment 2012-03-01_00-26-29_38.jpg

View attachment 2012-03-01_00-26-52_561.jpg

When I put headers on my son's '83 W150 318/727, the stock starte wouldn't fit. I searched one of the forums here, and ordered a starter for a '92 Dakota with a 3.9 V6. It bolted right in an I haven't had a problem in the 6 months it's been on the truck. Thanks, forabodiesonly!

Morning/Good Day All,

Looks like this thread has been dormant for a bit but I do have a question regarding the mini starter-vs- stock.

I do have a 67 Dart ( Slant 6) but also am a C Body guy and have a 72 Fury wagon with 360 I am trying to add Sanderson hedders to.
All looks good on one side of the engine but the side with the starter is too close to tell visually and without pulling the manifold. My thought was "Mini Starter" but have never done this so just wanted to inquire as to what style/part number of a mini starter might work for my case? If possible- maybe attach a link.

I think I may be the only dude trying this on a 72 Fury wagon but if it works- I'm definitely sharing with folks here and on For C Bodies Only :)

Thanks for any feedback -

Hi, I used the Summit high torque mini starter on my 360. It has doug's headers, which were a bit of a pain to install (interfered with borgeson power steering box, steering column and torsion bar) but the summit mini starter was never an issue. It fits perfect without interfering with anything.
One thing I did do was change the wiring from the battery to the starter since my original wiring was a bit too short. I used the below:
- Summit Racing® Protorque Starters SUM-820337
hope that helps.

Perfect. Thanks so much 67cuda360.
I think your suggestion is the smartest at this point.
I have the hedders, will order the starter and if everything visually looks good then I'll dig into the fun part of dismantling the stock exhaust.

This is what I put on my '71 Dart GT (318, auto, factory exhaust manifolds) when the original starter died.

Starter (1).JPG

Starter (2).JPG

And a little google search I found this:

Starter Fitment.png

Thanks as well DartGTDan. Two great solutions. I'll give one a try and if that does not work - I'll try the other but either way, I'll make sure to update the post incase anyone else tries what I'm doing. I mean- although this site is for A Bodies- who of us does not have another type body style on their Xmas list? Hmm?? ( laughing). It's always good to be able to move between the A Body and C Body site for so much knowledge to be shared.

-
Back