So how are you cooking your turkey?

-
If I cook the turkey it is in the turkey fryer with peanut oil. But this year its going to be a couple of beer can chickens.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Going to church again this year. Father Doug cooks the birds and the rest is pot luck. Talk about a cool way to try LOTS of things at one time.

I have already cooked 3 turkeys in my new Big Easy oilless and they turned out great. Has already paid for itself with the savings of buying peanut oil like I have been doing. I was sceptical at first but the results taste just like the fried in oil if not better since I could put cajun seasoning on the outside plus injecting marinate,Joe

I asked my wife and she is not sure as I will no longer fit in the oven!! I guess that she will have to get creative this year. LOL

One in the oven.
One in a roaster oven.
One deep fried
One smoked.
Having over 40 people over. Last year every one dressed like Pilgrams and Indians. This year it is the 70's theme.

Some pics of last year above the shop.

Attachments

• asset.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 192
  • asset%281%29.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 178
  • asset%282%29.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 171
  • asset%284%29.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 173
The turkey is always my contribution to Thanksgiving dinner. I'd love to deep fry one to see what they're like as all I've heard are rave reviews, but it has to be traditionally roasted to satisfy the rest of the family.
It's in the brine now and will be until tomorrow morning. Then herbed butter under the skin on the breast and legs, toss a quartered onion, a couple stalks of celery and a quartered apple in the cavity and into the oven. I roast in at 450 until the skin is nicely browned, then tent it with aluminum foil and lower the temp to 350 until done, basting every 20-30 minutes.

Here's a killer recipe for yams (the addition of the Southern Comfort is mine):

Yams A’La Maison

2-3 pounds Yams(orange flesh)
7-8 ounces CreamCheese
1 each Egg
1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
¼ Tsp Ground Coriander
¼ Tsp Grated Nutmeg
Salt & Pepper
½ Cup Apricot, Peach or Pineapple Preserves
½ Cup ChoppedPecans (optional)
“airline” size Bottleof Southern Comfort (optional)

Preheat oven to 375°

Scrubthe potatoes and prick them in several places. Bake, on a baking sheet, for 1-1 ½ hours or until tender.

When cool enough tohandle, peel the potatoes and put them into a mixing bowl. Add the cream cheese, egg, spices, salt andpepper to tast, and optional Southern Comfort if desired. Whip with anelectric beater until smooth and fluffy. Spoon into a buttered baking dish and smooth over the top.

Warm the preserves until melted, then stir in the optional nuts if desired. Spread over the potato mixtrure.

Bake 20 minutes. Serve hot.

If I cook the turkey it is in the turkey fryer with peanut oil. But this year its going to be a couple of beer can chickens.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Have you tried the beer can turkey?? It is awesome, you just need a bigger can. :D

I've used the Fosters Lager cans before, perfect.

i'm doing 2 turkeys, both 21lbs. first deep fried and injected with butterballs smoky mesquite seasoning kit and the other baked , soaked over night in the sink and injected with butterballs buttery creole seasoning kit.

One in the oven.
One in a roaster oven.
One deep fried
One smoked.
Having over 40 people over. Last year every one dressed like Pilgrams and Indians. This year it is the 70's theme.

Some pics of last year above the shop.

Well I just came up from the shop and this years party. The best of the four turkeys they made was the deep fried. The juiciest breast I ever tasted. Took many pics will post later.

Deep fryer. Super fast cooking, and tasty too.

^^^ this :D

Peanut oil--- pricey--- but no latent heat of vaporization (read low flash point) .

Skin is seared 2 min into the oil, about 20? min later a 15# bird is done,
cooked from the inside out by steam.

NO MORE DRY GOBBLER :D:D

Deep fryer. Super fast cooking, and tasty too.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Deep fried. Will never go back to oven it takes too long and is dry.

Well I just came up from the shop and this years party. The best of the four turkeys they made was the deep fried. The juiciest breast I ever tasted. Took many pics will post later.

Deep fried in peanut oil is hands down the best turkey I have ever had...:prayer:

Mother-in-law uses a Reynolds oven bag. She starts in the oven and then finishes in the roaster to free up oven space. Always tender, jucy, and delicious!

People must be becoming more careful. I haven't noticed any "news" stories about fryer accidents this year............

-
Back