So much for that toyota quality..

-
Lets take for instance the Dodge Dakota, just a quick search turned up issues with airbags accidentally deploying, structural bolt failures and multiple brake system hyd. failures (not exactly something you can just put the vehicle in neutral to solve an unsafe situation).

say it aint so... thats impossible...lmao.

My dad had a 440-6-pack cuda at one point and the throttle got stuck open on that one... apparently it was fun at first though. He went by his buddies garage and was powershifting down the street with the throttle wide open.

Anyway, if anything at least the mechanics at the toyota dealerships are makin good money right now.

OK, this is getting a little nutty and political. Lets take it down a notch and relax a bit.

Well, I dont know why you think this is all an Government conspiracy... I admit I havent been following this too closely, however my impression is that Toyota initiated this recall all on its own.

Moreover, Toyota is now recalling cars in Japan, and it looks like they will announce for Europe soon as well. Additionally, to my knowlege there hasnt been a mandatory recall on this. So, I don't see how the government has anything to do with any of this.

I'll quote the NY Times:

DETROIT — Toyota Motor has come up with a remedy to fix the millions of cars it recalled because their accelerator pedals could become stuck, dealers and a federal official said Saturday. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/31/business/31toyota.html

SO, wanting to know a little more, I did some digging, and I found a USA Today timeline of events.

It seems the Govt only had a beef with the floormats until Toyota told the NTSA they may have an issue with sticking accelerator pedals, and then admits problems with brake software in 2010 Prius hybrids.

Design problems happen. While a huge problem for Toyota, I dont see this as politically driven. Im impressed with how Toyota is handling this actually. I also came across an article that says Toyota is giving dealerships up to $75k to help deal with the expenses of this and to advertise once the issue is fixed.

I don't see it as political either..it's just ANOTHER case of a company putting profits before peoples safety..first toyota blamed the floor mats..ok put them in the trunk,hmm.. gas pedal still sticking geez,we just might have another issue here..by the way toyota DID NOT volunteer to stop producing/selling these cars,the federal government made them..and they still kept selling them for 5 more days after being told to stop doing so,ya toyota cares alright about profits PERIOD:thebirdm::thebirdm::thebirdm:

This video is enough to put Toyota at the bottom of my truck list.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJZVUnOduH4

I love it! "The fully boxed frame of the F150...blah, blah, blah..." Umm, anyone see a fully boxed frame on a Freightliner? Or a Pete? Or a Kenworth? Or how 'bout on a F250? F350? Or the bigger F-series? Anyone?

You know why? Because the frame has to flex for the torque and the load. Let's see, a 425hp Cat putting out 1800 ft/lbs of torque pulling a 45,000# load off the line and the frame didn't flex. Snap! Watch a loaded tractor trailer take off the line. Watch the left front spring up and the whole frame flex to compensate. Considering the larger F-series are "commercial" trucks, diesel optioned, the same physics apply. The frame needs to have some flex in it for the torque of the Powerchoke and the larger loads expected to carried by the larger trucks.

So you are saying it's good that the Toyota flops around enough to destroy the rear of the cab? Sorry but you guys are as bad as the Mopar or no car crowd. The camera does not lie.

So you are saying it's good that the Toyota flops around enough to destroy the rear of the cab? Sorry but you guys are as bad as the Mopar or no car crowd. The camera does not lie.

No, that much flop isn't a good thing. Notice how the rear kept kicking out almost to the point where the driver lost control repeatedly. And the frame looked like it was going to bend in half. The balance has to be maintained. Big trucks flex, but still remain rigid enough to take the load. And if the fully boxed frame is the be all and end all, then why not go with it in the larger F-series? Physics of being able to handle massive amounts of torque and larger loads says you can't have a seriously rigid frame.

What I'm saying is that you have to know what's what in marketing.

It's like Toyota's bs commercial of pulling a container up over a cliff. Notice the size and number of pulleys? Put enough pulleys in the equation the right size and one man could do the same thing.

And take a look through this thread. I don't see where I've defended Toyota. As a matter of fact I believe I made the case as to why Toyota has put themselves in this situation, given a history of corporate cover ups which lost them a class action lawsuit in the past.

I say drive what you like , whatever that may be. I bought 5 brand new Chrysler products between 99 and 05 , at this point I wouldn't even think about owning another one. GM lost me in the 90's with crappy quality. As of now Ford is my only American choice and so far I am happy. I know whatever I buy It is mostly built outside the US anyway. I think my 300C was built in Mexico and my Rams were built in Canada.

I Drive A 2003 Dodge 3500, Full Boxed Frame & My Son Drives A 2004 Dodge 1500, Full Boxed Frame. Results = No Squeaks Or Rattles. Both Trucks Past The 100k Range. I'm Sold On The Box Frame For The Light Duty Trucks. The 4500 & 5500 Series Dodges Use The Open Frame Like The Sd Fords. The Chevy Ld Stuff Are Rattle Traps. They Have Alot Of Flex, Now That Flex Will Give You A Smooth Ride For Sure. My Uncle Was Killed In A Chevrolet 1500 When He Ran Off The Roadway & Thru The Depressed Median. The Truck Had Flexed So Much That It Had Pulled The Steering Coupler Apart, Leaving No Steering Control. My Aunt Didn't Sue Gm, They Showed Up On Her Doorstep With A Settlement Offer. She Took The Cash & They Took The Truck From The Insurance Company. Gm KNew Thay Had A Concern. If You Happen To Drive One Of The Later Gm Trucks, You Will Notice That The Steering Column Will Make Noise While Driving. This Has Got To Be Due To Chassis Flex.

OK, this is getting a little nutty and political. Lets take it down a notch and relax a bit.

I'm not sure if you mean the thread or the recall.
Or both.

At any rate for some reason this come to mind.
Both "nutty" and the future of cars?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcNkMIwolKc

I had heard it was an off duty officer of the law that was driving.
Was it a controlable?
That would be good to know.

If You Happen To Drive One Of The Later Gm Trucks, You Will Notice That The Steering Column Will Make Noise While Driving. This Has Got To Be Due To Chassis Flex.

Actually the column makes a lot of noise because the intermediate shaft is running dry. The first fix was to pack it full of lithium grease. The second newer fix is to replace the intermediate shaft with updated universals. Takes about ten minutes to replace one.

Without out a doubt I'm a hardcore Chrysler man, but I worked on hundreds of Toyotas in the late 89-90 while employed at Girard BMW/Toyota in New London CT.

Toyota has an excellent reputation because they make a good car, this current wave of bad news smacks of govenment meddling designed to prop up Government Motors.

I have worked on thousands of G.M's over the last 25 years as a trained line tech and manager of a dealership and GM can't hold a candle to Toyota.

Period.

Pretty funny when you drive by a Toylete dealership,and the majority of vehicles are there for recalls now..lol:toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

really lucky coincidence for U.S. auto makers when there main competitor has a rash of unexplained recalls just as they start to get back on there feet

Why is everbody trying to blame the government in this? The government had allready been suggesting to its employes that they buy these foreign cars for "fuel efficiency" just recently. Toyotas reputation for superior quality has been greatly exaggerated IMHO. They are just another car company producing cars for profit, and they have some serious safty issues right now.

Toyotas reputation for superior quality has been greatly exaggerated IMHO. .

As someone who has 25+ years under his belt pulling wrenches I don't agree with you.

I have worked on just about every car made and can state without a doubt GM sucks compared to Toyota. The techs loved Toyotas when they came in, it was rare indeed that you had to do much to them besides regular services.

This administration has a history of attacking people from doctors, insurance companies, private citizens, Wall Street, etc.

The list is near endless, I have no doubt this is a ploy to help prop up Obamas union buddies running GM.

The techs loved Toyotas when they came in, it was rare indeed that you had to do much to them besides regular service

That CAN'T be said nowadays..lol..RECALLS!!! RECALLS!!!..lol....pieces of crap!!

That CAN'T be said nowadays..lol..RECALLS!!! RECALLS!!!..lol....pieces of crap!!

And ask yourself- Who is pushing for recalls again?

Ah, the owners of Government Motors.

Wake up and smell the coffee boys.

Yeah the government planned to have those people killed with Toyotas UNWANTED ACCEL cases ????????
They made you manager with this reasoning?
I have never heard of a Automobile company having back to back to back recalls ????
The list continues each week , goes to show you the Toyotas are not all they are made to be ...
NO override for unwanted accel > GOOD engineering there > NOT <
That is ONE big reason people do not want to drive them , while waiting for fix ....

They have jst been lucky to dodge the bullet as long they did. You know...what goes around comes around. (on recalls)

-
Back