So sick of the V8 or die guys...

-

Rockerdude

Rock n' Roll and A-bodies
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
A bunch of my local buddies think its a huge waste of time and money to build a turbo slant six. I understand where they are coming from of course, putting tons of cash into a n/a slant to do 14s would be kinda stupid. But Ive always wanted a sweet 15+ lbs of boost powered slant that really surprises those guys. Idk, just talking out loud as usual. Lol after reading about Bill's car and a bunch more, and getting my first cars slant back for free randomly I just feel like its right to put something together on the side. Even though I dont even have a car for it right now.. I still really want to build a slant.

:violent2:

Screw them!!!! Different is kewl, a slanty is different, in a light early-A they can go fast.....ignore them and let them play with their lame a$$ 350's LOL

Lol after reading about Bill's car and a bunch more, and getting my first cars slant back for free randomly I just feel like its right to put something together on the side. Even though I dont even have a car for it right now.. I still really want to build a slant.

:violent2:

Show them (or send them) this video and ask them how many of their cars will outrun it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QzUfV8iTpQ"]Turbo Slant Six 10.74 @ 127 mph 7-19-10 - YouTube[/ame]

Then ask them if thery still think it's a dumb idea...

FORGET about our car; it's an unknown quantity.

THIS little turbo slant six '66 belongs to FABO member Ryan Peterson and is one of two cars (Tom Wolfe's '71 Dart is the other) that are the whole reason Freddie and I spent the last 4 years trying to put something together that will run something like this.

When the good weather gets here, we'lll see if we did our homework.... Our car is a bald-faced mechanical copy of Ryan's in most respects. We can only hope that it runs within a second of his car... Not that easy!!!

PS Ryan's car has a 727 in it.... worth an easy two tenths...

I understand the feelings,even though "I" am one of the "STUPID" ones !! I'll be very interested to see how my /6 runs in the 1/4 !!!

Here`s a list of items I`ve already purchased !

Aussie 4 barrel intake
Holley 600cfm carb
Aussie 6 into 2 headers
High Volume Oil Pump
Ported Cylinder Head
Head Gasket
Intake/Exhaust (Romac)
Offy Polished Valve Cover
K1 Forged Rods and Wiseco Pistons (True 11:1 compression)
ARP Main,Head Studs
Oil Pan and Valve Cover Studs
Windage tray and Crank Scraper
Double Roller Timing Chain
Romac SFI Dampner
MSD6
Mallory Unilite Distributor

And not to mention the added weight from sounds withe 6 speakers,2-10" subs.Ex HD Leaf Springs.The BEST part of it all,"I DID IT MY WAY" !!

I understand the feelings,even though "I" am one of the "STUPID" ones !! I'll be very interested to see how my /6 runs in the 1/4 !!!

Aussie 4 barrel intake
Holley 600cfm carb
Aussie 6 into 2 headers
High Volume Oil Pump
Ported Cylinder Head
Head Gasket
Intake/Exhaust (Romac)
ARP Main,Head Studs
Romac SFI Dampner
MSD6

And not to mention the added weight from sounds withe 6 speakers,2-10" subs.Ex HD Leaf Springs.The BEST part of it all,"I DID IT MY WAY" !!

Dennis,

Not everybody wants or NEEDS a 10 second car!

You built a super nice A Body for the street that has more than enough grunt to be a fun ride!!!

My guess, is low 15's, about like what a '73 low compression 340 would run off the showroom floor.

That's just MY GUESS, though, and it will be interesting to see how far off I am, once you get the Buzzin' Half-Duzzin' to the strip!

Please let us know....

That is one good-looking ride you have there!!!! :cheers:

lol that camaro looked like he was out on a sunday drive i dont think he knew what hit him that is one bad a$$ dart

I personally think trying to upgrade a N/A slant 6 is kind of a waste but if you got a turbo... that's a whole 'nother story lol! I would love to build a turbo /6 someday but I think before that I will rebuild my old 318 into a 550 HP turbo monster since it's sitting in my garage.

Yeah, they also make it sound sooo expensive to build a 6 cylinder vs an 8, when its pretty close when you really get down to it. I just want to be different, which being a Mopar guy is already the case usually. Lol

Any time different is attempted or done, scorn for not being of the norm follows.
So what else is new? I've been getting it for decades doing a MoPar.
Quit your bitchin and get it done and then Promptly shove up there *** with a smile on your face.

Aussie 4 barrel intake
Holley 600cfm carb
Aussie 6 into 2 headers
High Volume Oil Pump
Ported Cylinder Head
Head Gasket
Intake/Exhaust (Romac)
ARP Main,Head Studs
Romac SFI Dampner
MSD6

Can you share where you found some of those parts like the headers, intake, etc. I'm also with you guys on the slant 6 building. I'm doing my 64 dart 270 with a slant 6 and push button torqflight. I'm gonna bore the block 40bover, have head work done,
n etc. Screw what the v8 or die crowd says I've seen slant, straight, and v6 engines shut those people up out not up, cause everytime they get beat by a 6 cylinder they always have a excuse.

I never thought about it........I guess I've been stupid since 1970 with my first /6.
Stupid is as stupid does....I'm building a 64/6 Dart right now.

I think it's a great idea. Thought about doing it but the car is a dd and can't be down while things get sorted out. Do it!!!!

When given a choice between mild upgrades to the /6 (two months and a few hundred dollars) or converting to a V8 (a year and 2-3 grand), my son unhesitatingly chose the slant. We got lucky on finding the Super-Six parts, and even found a mild nitrous set-up to pump up the Cool-factor. At the many car shows I go to, I find myself walking past the gleaming chromed V8s straight to the Rat Rod sectionand customs to see who is making good solid horsepower without bankrupting themselves.

So how many of these vee-eight guys get in their 4 banger 'modern' car and drive off without thinking anything of it?

Glenn

My 66 Valiant, slant six, was built for about $1500 including buying the car. Runs mid 14's in the 1/4, on motor only. Low 13's on spray. Have about $2,000 in it now, after a fuel cell, new windshield, cutting the wheel wells, hood scoop, and milling the head.

I would love to have a 70,71 Dart with a mildly built turbo /6 in it just to enjoy some tire burning power for around town. What I really think about the most is a 71-74 step side truck with a blown /6 just to turn heads and tires :burnout:

..can't remember which mag,but there was a super article on 273 2bbl station wagon that runs hi 13's in the quarter.
..that is spectacular...as are over achieving slant 6's!

My .02. I grew up in primarily chevy country, lets face facts after 40 plus years of heavy market support a sbc can be built to run pretty good with bolting parts/ kits on it. Complete upper end kits and on and on. The figuring out of the parts combinations is already done. A fellow I used to run with said it best "its the only car I can go to Wal Mart and buy parts for". Its your money, time, sweat, and blood. Do it the way you want, who gives a crap what others think ! Honestly part of the fun in my opinion in doing something that others dont understand and being different. Its not the destination but the trip getting there.

Wish I had just a plain old slant 6 daily driver. I think the slants are on a come back. Go for it!

Your funds, your car do as you please. One thing to keep in mind though is while boost is a great equalizer a bigger motor is going to respond to boost as well......someone posted a video of a slant running in the 10's with a turbo. While it is impressive IF you are after speed a v-8 is still going to stomp all over it....if it is turboed as well.....[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAwwWhKMJz4"]chads Turbo 340 duster - YouTube[/ame]
Not for nothing but if you are going to make a comparison you need to make it apples to apples, not apples to oranges.....Not to side with your buddies but reality is what it is......

I was gonna do the V8 thing (340/904) in my wagon but decided to keep the slant with some mild internal upgrades - shaved head, oversize valves, upgraded cam, double roller timing set and windage tray. Externally, it's got to have a little bling and pop. So I'm planning on either a triple SU set-up or maybe a triple Weber set-up and Offy valve cover. What will it run? Don't know and don't care - it'll be different for sure.

Got to give props to Leanna who coated the Lynx triple SU manifold and Offy valve covers plus all the small bolt-on stuff. Now I got to find time to get it all together.

Attachments

• intakes 007.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 698
  • intakes 009.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 713
  • car stuff 010.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 686
-
Back