So who's running a Comp XE268?!

-

vntned

Reaction score
I'm trying to get some real world feedback from people actually running the Comp XE268 in their car.

How's the power and torque?
How's the driveability?
Economy?
Etc.?

I've got one in a built 318. W/O a 2200+ stall I wouldn't recommend it. Took a lot of tuning to get it to idle in gear or not try to dye at stops. A 340 or 360 might be a different story. I bet a 9:1+ 318 with a 4 speed would be great.

I've got an XE268h in my 340.

First things first though, my combo: 346ci, 9.5ish:1 compression, 1.88/1.60 915 heads, Air-Gap intake, 1405 Eddy carb (750 DP going on soon), hooker headers going into 3" duals w/H pipe, stock electronic ignition, and of course the XE268h cam with matching 901-16 valve springs. Non-OD 4 speed, 3.21 rear gears (have new 4.10's for it...hehhehe).

So far I'm really liking the new cam. It pulls a lot more vacuum than the old Thumpr did, and it idles a lot smoother (obviously) but still has some lump to it. Sounds really nice at idle and when cruising down the road it's very well behaved. Off the line I have to slip the clutch more than I would like to. It could definitely use a lower starting gear (Hence the 4.10's). From what I can tell, fuel economy is decent. I took it on a 25 min cruise this weekend and the needle barely moved. With the Thumpr, the fuel gauge moved almost as fast as the tach. I just put the motor back in last week so I don't have a ton of miles on it yet, and I'm still working out the kinks, but my first impressions of this cam are good. Are there cams that'll make more power? Sure. But this cam is a tried and true performer and it's a good cam for a street car. Nice broad powerband, much less peaky than what I had.

When I install the Holley, put in my 4.10's, and dial in the tune, I think that's when it'll really come to life. I'm waiting a while before I really beat on it but so far I'm pleased with the cam.

and since were increasing cubes, I got one in a 408
it was spunky with a stock converter...but with a custom high stall it really is a blast to drive

never bother checking my mileage (I'm not driving a prius) but it score high on the smiles per gallon scale

she puts out 423 HP and 470 foot pounds

I have one in my 360 with a Holley 750 DP, 9.6:1 compression, EQ heads with 2.02/1.60" valves, Edelbrock Air Gap intake and a 4 speed transmission. Sounds like a sewing machine under the hood (I hear it's common from XE cams), but performs really well. Maybe it's the Holley 750 but it's very thirsty. It idles around 850 RPM or so and it has a nice lump to it.

Voodoo 60403
Hydraulic Flat Tappet. High performance street cam likes 2400 RPM stall, 700 CFM carb, dual plane intake and headers. Makes unequaled power to 6200 RPM with proper valve springs. Strong cam with great street manners for crate motor.

• Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 268/276
  • Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 226/234
  • Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .494/.513
  • LSA/ICL: 110/106
  • Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
  • RPM Range: 1800-6200
  • Includes: Cam Only

Still working on the tune. Way better than the xe284 that came out.

Last edited:

Voodoo 60403
Hydraulic Flat Tappet. High performance street cam likes 2400 RPM stall, 700 CFM carb, dual plane intake and headers. Makes unequaled power to 6200 RPM with proper valve springs. Strong cam with great street manners for crate motor.

• Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 268/276
  • Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 226/234
  • Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .494/.513
  • LSA/ICL: 110/106
  • Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
  • RPM Range: 1800-6200
  • Includes: Cam Only

Still working on the tune. Way better than the xe284 that came out.

Was the XE284 just too much cam?

I'll be the odd ball. I'm running it in a stock long block 318, 4bbl (600cfm quickfuel), 2500 stall converter and 2.45 gears (needs changed). It's a dog out of the hole and at times I have surge issues around 1500rpm (probably tuning) but minus that it's not terrible.

The XE must be an improvement on a 268h Comp I put in my boy's low compression 1973 340 duster in 1988. 3.21 gears, fourspeed, a little back yard butchery on the heads and headers, and it was faster than cars that should have kicked his butt! His high school senior class had 1100(!) kids so there was some competition!

The XE must be an improvement on a 268h Comp I put in my boy's low compression 1973 340 duster in 1988. 3.21 gears, fourspeed, a little back yard butchery on the heads and headers, and it was faster than cars that should have kicked his butt! His high school senior class had 1100(!) kids so there was some competition!

That's not a bad little cam either... That combo should run mid to high 13's

i used an XE268 in a warm 9.5:1 340 Duster. Despite what comp say it needs a converter
with 3.23 gears and 15" tires.I used a dynamic 9 1/2" converter that stalled around 3000.
With timing all in @1800 (34) the car would launch hard in lo or just break loose if you were't
careful but detonated at times.
Re-curved to be all in (34) around 2800 and the power from 2500 up seemed limitless,it just kept
pulling hard well past 100 mph.
..Spent a lot of time tuning and with that converter it would break loose easily at lo speeds and was very fast! The 650 Edelbrock Thunder worked perfect for that build and when driven sensibly using vac advance and running 50 degrees total would knock off 20 plus mpg (hoser gallon)
...It did have some valve train noise...which i grew to like.I miss that car!

Last edited:
i used an XE268 in a warm 9.5:1 340 Duster. Despite what comp say it needs a converter
with 3.23 gears and 15" tires.I used a dynamic 9 1/2" converter that stalled around 3000.
With timing all in @1800 (34) the car would launch hard in lo or just break loose if you were't
careful but detonated at times.
Re-curved to be all in (34) around 2800 and the power from 2500 up seemed limitless,it just kept
pulling hard well past 100 mph.
..Spent a lot of time tuning and with that converter it would break loose easily at lo speeds and was very fast! The 650 Edelbrock Thunder worked perfect for that build and when driven sensibly using vac advance and running 50 degrees total would knock off 20 plus mpg (hoser gallon)
...It did have some valve train noise...which i grew to like.I miss that car!

I'd be interested in hearing whether or not you had to mess with the jets and rods on that Edelbrock. I found it to be too rich on cruise and too lean on power. I'm running one now until I get my Holley worked on.

I'd be interested in hearing whether or not you had to mess with the jets and rods on that Edelbrock. I found it to be too rich on cruise and too lean on power. I'm running one now until I get my Holley worked on.

That's going back some.. only changed metering rods...it was 12 at wot 13 at idle and 13.5 cruise

I have one in my 69 340 4 speed, Headers, 3.55 gears, Air Gap, 650 Eddy Thunder Carb. Runs great, and sounds great. I have a video of how good it sounds, but it won't upload.

Here's an idle and rev clip of the XE268h in my 340. It's got a nice lumpy idle without being too radical. Miss the sound of the Thumpr cam I had, but I like the practicality of the XE268h.

I used a 268 in my 360. Didn't hav it long after it wiped out a few lobes. Changed to a solid 270s magnum cam which was way better all over the power band.

Have that cam in my 318 and love it engine has a 650 double pumper (rejetted).stock 73 340 intake,Hooker street headers, mopar perf distributor with the chrome Hi-Rev box from Rick Ehrenberg.040" gapped Champion plugs, the HD Mopar rockers and shafts,a good double roller chain ,manual Cheetah valve body in the trans with a 4-1 kd lever ,4;10 gears in the 8 3/4 15" rear tires it's fun to drive .idles well.doesn't overheat or load up at an idle i do NOT have power brakes (anymore) so don't know the effect it would have..........................oh yeah the heads are 73 360 heads

I know its not an A body but it is a 360. Broke cam in and idled it down to 750RPM still need to tune and chase a couple of coolant leaks. 10 1/2 to 1 comp. J heads with 2.02 valves and milled .050 back in the 1990's, Holley 780 vac sec carb, magnum manifolds and flowmaster 40 mufflers to the bumper
sorry about my piss poor videoing First Day on the JOB. To the OP I cannot give you drivability yet as the car is not quite finished, should be in a couple of weeks still waiting for a few parts to come back from paint and then final assembly. As soon as I know more on the drivabilty of the cam I'll keep you posted.
Kevin

Last edited:
I've got one in a built 318. W/O a 2200+ stall I wouldn't recommend it. Took a lot of tuning to get it to idle in gear or not try to dye at stops. A 340 or 360 might be a different story. I bet a 9:1+ 318 with a 4 speed would be great.
X2 on the in gear idle. Got the carb tuned correctly and helped a bunch at idle and less hydrocarbons but the converter was too tight..took it to a more loose 2200 and made a world of difference. 3.23 gears and not too much of a dog off the line...3.55's would be better. Gas mileage sucks at 11 ish. Great torque for a teener and is much more streetable with the loose converter. 286 hp and 261 tq to the rear wheels.

I know this is a old post but want to get opinions on that XE268 i just recently bought for my engine, debating whether i should return and go for something else?
340 bored 30 over and stroked 3.58=372
650 double pump vacuum 2ndarys
Eddy closed chamber heads
904 tranny stock
Rear end to be determind

Your gonna like it I think.
Give it some stall in the converter and 3.55 gears.

The duration is very streetable with good torque and nice top end hp. It is a really good street cam.

I’m currently running the Comp Hyd. roller version in the wife’s (367) .030-360, 2400 stall converter in a 904 & 3.55 gears riding on 26x10 tires on 15 inch rims.

I suggest to you to use ported heads, headers and 1.6 rockers which will add in a nice top end pop. Here is the cam card below. Notice the duration @.050 numbers and valve lift. This will also get 1.6 roller rockers.

6290EAA5-FD1C-4903-85CA-F724E0041930.jpeg

Last edited:
I know this is a old post but want to get opinions on that XE268 i just recently bought for my engine, debating whether i should return and go for something else?
904 tranny stock
Rear end to be determind
What Rumble said. I think you're going to like it. It works well in a 340.

904 tranny stock
Rear end to be determind
yur gonna need a 750 or better to feed that hungry brute, and I'd run a DP.

I have a 367 (4.04x3.58), same eddies, KB107s at .005 up out of the hole, .039 gaskets for .034Q.
I did run a Hughes HE2430AL cam, which was 223/230/110@.050.Specs were 270/276/110+4,lifts of .538/.549 @1.6 arms. I think very similar to the XE268, except the Hughes runs a bit more lift.
At 185psi cylinder pressure that was a fantastically strong off the line cam, a tremendous midrange, died early compared to the previous 292/292/108 Dc cam, but still pulled pretty good to 6000, and I regularly took it to 7000. I ran it with 3.55s and a clutch. It had so much off-idle torque, that it was a dump-it-and-go routine most of the time.
Later I added an od box and a GVOD behind it for a final drive of 1.97, and pushed the mpgs to over 30USg with a dedicated smaller carb. I ran it with a few different intakes and carbs, but finally settled with the AirGap and 750DP. She runs TTIs with 3" full-length duals. Try to keep the crossover, cuz I unsuccessfully spent the best part of a summer trying to find the missing torque when I cut mine out to fit the GVOD. If you don't have a crossover, then with 3.55s, you will need more stall .
I like to gear my combos to hit 60mph in second gear at about power peak plus 300rpm or so. But that cam is so flat over the peak that you can go a long ways over the top. I'll guess it peaks around 5200, but it's hard to pinpoint. Ima thinking she'll pull pretty hard thru those Eddies and a 750, all the way to 6000.
Unfortunately for you with a 904, the ratios (2.45-1.45-1.00) will not get you any where close to 60 in second gear, and 6000,lol. You could do it in first with 3.23s, at 6200, or with 2.94s at 5650. But you would need some stall to get off the line happily. Don't worry, at 185psi, and a lil stall, it will spin any street 275s, pretty much from start to finish.
But if your pistons are still .012 in the holes, you'll have to run .028 or less gasket to make that kind of pressure/ and Q.
I wouldn't run .039+.012=.051Q. With iron heads that would probably risk detonation with full timing and even best gas. With the Eddies you'd probably be ok with best gas. But with .034Q I run 87E10 with full timing no issues.
So for just a gasket swap, keeping the Q to less than .040, you can save thousands of dollars over the course of the engine's life, in the fuel cost difference.
185psi is a sweetspot for that combo, embrace it. Running aluminum heads at 160psi or less, IMO, is a total waste. To break even in absolute power, with the same iron combo, it has been written that you need at least a half point more compression. That might be right for drag-racing, but on the street, IMO that .5 hike should be changed to at least 1.0; and the aluminums will like up to 1.5 points with tight-Q. I have run 11.3Scr with the 292/108 cam, full timing, and 87E10, with no issues.
With my Hughes cam above, I think it was 10.95cr, still on 87E10 and full timing.
BTW; full timing with those aluminum Eddies is between 30 and 34 degrees; I run about 32....... most of the time.

After the tune is in,you are gonna love that cam.
Then you are gonna spend all your money trying to make it stick and launch. Save yourself some coin, and just go straight to 295s or better. If they don't fit; either make 'em or get you a traction aider... like slapper bars at the least. Otherwise, with a 750DP, yur gonna need to relearn some driving skills,lol. The turns are gonna be awful exciting. Be cool in traffic 'til you get the hang of sliding around. If you can't be cool, at least get rid of the Part-Throttle Downshift,lol, cuz it will never be in the right place; when it kicks down in mid-turn, around you will go smashing your rims on the median; ask me how I know,lol.
Do not bother with 245s, you'll burn 'em off in a couple of weeks, probably less. Without trying very hard, you can bald 245s out in a couple if days.
I think a 2800stall would be about right for 2.94s and a 2500 with 3.23s, 2200 with 3.55s and a stocker with 3.91s. 3.73s are in-between so I'd first try the stocker.
BTW
those Eddies will accept up to .550 lift IIRC,or was it .600? Yeah .600 I think, cuz my current cam is .549/.571@1.6 arms and different springs is all. Jus saying

Last edited:
-
Back