So you thought my rattling/ticking noise was an exhaust leak?

-

Shaun65dart

Reaction score
ok guys I posted about my 65 dart that had a mysterious rattle or ticking noise under acceleration. I did find some exhaust leaks but that is not the problem. I dove back in today and took it for a drive. The noise was still there. I took a look underneath and figured maybe the exhaust was loose since it sounded like it was coming from the rear of the car when I opened my door while driving. I brought it back home and put the rear end on jack stands. I started and put it in drive and had my son tap the gas back and forth. I added the video to my YouTube. What do you guys think is going on here? It’s obviously louder toward the rear of the car in the video. Doesn’t sound good I’m bummed....

Here’s the video

Last edited:
Ball and trunion? Is it louder in the front? I had a ball and trunion back in 69 on my 65 Dart but it was good so I don't know what a bad one sounds like.

Something in there rattling around in the rear...broken teeth or something in the muffler (baffles broken off). I can't tell which is rattling by your video

Why is your driveshaft turning and not your wheel? Even if it is an open rear end both wheels will be spinning....I think your rear end is shot

Passenger side wheel was spinning at the end of video, I thought I saw it at the very beginning but he seemed to focus on the drivers side.

One wheel turning more can be normal with a standard rear-end (not Sure-Grip). All it takes is a little extra drag in the brakes on one side. Sure sounds like a sheet-metal sound. I also suspect something loose inside the muffler. If so, it will eventually rust away or blow out. My 1996 Voyager sounded similar, which turned out to be broken ceramic in the catalytic converter. In my experience, play in the U-joints (front is a "Detroit" ball & trunion) causes a clunk when you shift from D to R, and eventually makes a vibration around 55 mph.

I was thinking ball and trunnion as well, speed of rattle tells the tale.
Higher frequency-driveshaft/pinion noise
Lower frequency-axle brake crown related.

Neutral on stands engine off grab driveshaft and rotate to see if there is any play.

A thump with the hand will tell you if exhaust is rattling.

I dunno, but I sure like them wheels! :thumbsup:

Pull the drums and run it again (remember youll have no more brakes so dont try and use them) And its easy to pull the inspection cover off the 7.25. I doubt its the driveshaft or gears. Also check your convertor bolts....and convertor inspection cover. Sounds like very thin metal vibrating.

My first guess is muffler baffle or other exhaust rattle (could also be the muffler or pipe rattling against something outside). I do not think it's a ball and trunnion issue. What happens with this same kind of revving in Neutral?

With the same revving in nuetral there is no noise. It’s only when in gear and rear wheels are spinning. The muffler is brand new from the store that I welded on 2 months ago

I’m not sure what the noise is either at this point. What inside the diff could be making a noise like that?

There is no clunk when shifting to or from any gear either

could your endplay on your crank be forcing the convertor bolts front and back to possibly contact metal? There is so much goop in the rear end that something tinging in there is improbable. There IS goop in there, right? You can also unbolt the headpipe from the muffler pipe (if there is a union) and just run the motor like that, its really not that loud for testing a rattling muffler.

h0lI2CyIpYM

Last edited:
I have ran the engine with the dust cover off and did not notice any movement back and forth on the crank. I will confirm endplay is within spec. Like I said at idle there is no noise. Revving at idle there is no noise. Oil pressure is 50 at idle. 140-150 psi compression every cylinder. So it sounds like it wouldn’t be the driveshaft or the diff. Noise definitely sounds like it’s coming from the back half of the car as that’s where it’s loudest

open up the differential and check it out. Then change the oil in it along with new gasket.

Just a suggestion. Put car in neutral on stands. Turn driveshaft by hand and check rear u joint. Or put in neutral and let drift with out engine running. Years ago my '69 was making noise. The u-joint was actually sliding in the cups, back and forth as the drive shaft turned. It was just enough to make the noise louder the faster it turned. Just a thought.

Just a suggestion. Put car in neutral on stands. Turn driveshaft by hand and check rear u joint. Or put in neutral and let drift with out engine running. Years ago my '69 was making noise. The u-joint was actually sliding in the cups, back and forth as the drive shaft turned. It was just enough to make the noise louder the faster it turned. Just a thought.
It sure seems to be a driveshaft related noise. I have never heard a ball/trunnion before,but its very much like a cv in a fwd car, its almost like that.

What is making the axle windup periodically? There would have to be a load on the drive train. Could the brake shoes be binding erratically?

What is making the axle windup periodically? There would have to be a load on the drive train. Could the brake shoes be binding erratically?
WIND UP IS NORMAL. Did you lay hands on the rear of the driveshaft and see if there was any movement? Kinda sounds like a pinion bearing to me.

FYI: be careful about spinning driveshafts, especially if you have long hair or loose clothing. Years ago, some guy in Ballard, had jacked up his van in a parking lot between a Chevron? station and an auto parts store on 15th Ave NW. A guy came into open up the gas station in the morning and noticed this van running and fluid running down the incline in the parking lot. He went over to investigate, and found this guy all wrapped up in the driveshaft. Evidently, he had been messing with his driveshaft with the engine running in gear. His long hair had gotten snagged in the spinning driveshaft, it had pulled him into it, scalped him, and he bled to death right there. Very gruesome. true story.

i did not check the driveshaft for movement. All i did was take the video. So when i dig deeper into this.....

1st- put in nuetral and rock driveshaft back and forth
2nd- pull wheels and drums and re test running in gear
3rd- remove diff cover and check to see if anything is broken

When i bought the car in early october, there were no noises like this at all like it should be. This started out as a very slight noise and has progressed to how you hear it in the video. I have only driven the car about 300 miles since i bought it.

As far as the noise goes and putting in nuetral while coasting, the noise goes away. Revving in nuetral while coasting the noise is not there. Put it back in drive, and accelerate, the noise comes back. while its making the noise, if i accelerate a little slower, the noise getting quieter. The harder im on the gas, the fast the noise gets and the louder it gets. It is def coming from the back of the car though. Without more testing, im pretty perplexed as to what it could be. Im at work now so i will try to take a look this evening after im done coaching my teams basketball practice. Sorry to keep you guys waiting!

Time for 8 1/4" or 8 3/4" rear.......
Sounds like metal or bearing parts being slung around in oil in diff. when accellerating...........

-
Back