So you want 2 go Big block...Read this first!

-
Wow lots of issues to deal with putting a big block in an a-body..i think i'll stick with my small blocks besides it much more fun spanking big block cars with a small block a-body..:-D:-D

Wow lots of issues to deal with putting a big block in an a-body..i think i'll stick with my small blocks besides it much more fun spanking big block cars with a small block a-body..:-D:-D

sure...and how much $ was the SB build? A Stock SB couldn't come close to a BB, so you have to have re built the engine...seams like an expensive issue to deal with there. and what BB are you racing? a stock new yorker?

There really isn't alot of issues. its really not hard.

I only read the first two, then the last page...lol. Careful, it's starting to sound like moparts over here :D.

I've done a few swaps first hand. Then run the gambit from making me $150 on a bet to over $10gs for a small block. So lets establish a guideline or two.
You need a car that has 10' paint job, runs and drives on the street, mimickign a stock car. I think by adding those three limits, we can compare apples to apples. Now, my bet car.. I got a '72 Swinger /6 with a hole in the block, and a '67 sport fury, both for free, and I was told no way could I get the 383 into the dart buying nothing but tuneup stuff, a rear end case and axles, and exhaust. I won. 383 2bbl, column shift 727, and one legger 8 3/4. I had the 8 3/4 case. Everything else was fabbed by using my head and parts from either car. I did need the 2bbl exh log angle milled, which was a favor for me by a friend. But I think adding the banjo and the milling at todays prices, I could do it for $300. Fully done and driving. It's now been totally redone with a mean 451 in it. I'm happy it was rescued from the recycler.
For a big block to be functional and safe (by original manufacturer specs for that year) you don't need disk brakes. Most guys love them, but many guys now-a-days never had a drum brake car of anythign with a choke ever in thier life. Before the insurance push of the early 70s stopping in time and reasonable speed was the responsibility of the driver... not the manufacturer. So my pricing would go like this:
RB wedge from /6 car:
engine (running stock 440) - $1000
trans (stock rebuild done by local shop, w/stock convertor) - $800
rear axle (working 8 3/4 comp w/SBP axles and 3.23 gear one legger) - $500
Exh manifolds (someone makes HP manifolds modified for A body) - $300
Exh system - $1000 (I use custom bent stuff, 2.5", with good mufflers and tips)
Misc stuff (subframe connectors, kickdown cable, hoses, belts, tune up, carb kit, paint, gasket set, driveshaft, centerlink, tie rods, oil pan, various safety items like brakes and brake hoses/lines, tires, etc. - $2000.

total - 5600, and we havent gotten the car yet. I am thinking of doing a similar project in the near future should some things in my life get finished. I'll track every cent and see what it costs... The best car to get if you're going to big block one is a running car. V-8 preferred. And early V8 should have an 8 3/4 and decent radiator. A later water pump housing and timing cover can be run with a little tweaking to utilize the outlet configuration on the small V8. You dont need a 4 row aluminum.. it's en-vogue, but not necessary. You do need a fan shroud, a decent fan or fans, and an engine in general good state of shape. You don't need headers or 3" pipe. Those that say it's a must have weren't driving the cars with 2 1/4 pipes with Sonic Turbos and still running well. You don't need a dana 60 unless you are making mad power AND can hook it up. That 383 2bbl could do a 2-3 gear one legger holeshot for over 100yds from a dead stop. I've priced two complete cars in the past two years, starting from a fairly rust free running V8 car, and ending with a mid 10s capable street car, with me doing all the work (including cage/suspension and body/paint) They come to between 20K and 25K. Once you reach a certain performance window (about low 12s) the pricing gets almost the same for big or small block. You end up needing the same things.

Always a good idea to count the costs before you dive in. Even then there are the aw hells that run the total up.

One of the things missed is that in doing a disk brake conversion on a /6, you need to figure in BBP wheels and appropriate tires. Even if one goes to the KH brakes and SBP wheels, the largest factory wheel was 14x5½ inches, most were 4½ inches. The smaller wheel limits max tire size to something like 185/70-14.

If you go to Rallyes or Magnum 500s figure on $800-1000 for the wheels and accessories. Add another $450-500 for a set of T/As mounted and balanced.

WOW I skipped through this post some but I do have to correct one thing.. My 440 is out of a 72 motor home and is a steel crank motor... Not a cast..

And I am shoe horning it into a 65..

Well after reading this post and not being here very often.I think I've done 10 or so big block conversions.
One was when we bought a 67 Dart at the Portland swap meet a few years ago on a friday and took it home and on saturday started the swap from a 73 dart swinger big block car which we swapped into the new 67 /6 car.Swapped out the /6 from the 67 into the 73 dart and the73 big block parts into the 67.Both cars we removed engine,trans and rearends.took 12 hrs in the driveway.
The swap is not difficult to do just do it 1 past at a time.

A couple of bigblock cars we run.

IMGP0262.jpg

IMGP0719-1.jpg

IMGP0498.jpg

We have gone the gambit of Hooker fenderwells,Schumachers,tti's and the Headman b-body headers into an a-body just to see if it could be done.

The last Bigblock duster I built cost under $6000:

Picked up the 73 duster rust free at an auto auction as a /6 car for $650

Bought a wrecked mud bogger at the same auction with a newer .030 cast piston 440 for 600.00 looked brand new inside put in a hyd mopar purple cam in it for 150.

schumaker headers 600

727 our tranny sponsor built for us(way more than we needed so i wont include the full retail for that because a stock 727 with a shift kit wuld prob be just fine so figure 6-700 bucks for it if you had to pay full retail for a rebuilt 727 with a shift kit)

used 8 1/4 rear wth an auburn posi( I know they arent ideal but we have at least 250 passes with sticky tires 26x12.50 hoosier quicktime pros on it and it hasnt flinched a bit) 500.oo

schumaker motor mounts 150

used performer rpm intake 100.00

2.5 in exhaust w/turbo mufflers,dumps,and an x-pipe 250

junkyard radiator from a 1-ton ford 20.00

plug wires 80.00

stock 340 dual snorkal hoodscoop 180 from yr one

750 dp holley used rebuilt and tweaked 200.00

megashifter 250.00

driveshaft 80.00 from wildcat auto

torque converter 250.00

wheels/tires rear draglites with 26/12.50 hoosier quicktime pros, fronts skinny steelies with dogdish hubcaps and offbranf skinnies 400.00

misc 400.00

We didnt do any bodywork or anything to the interior or paint because we didnt need to, its not a show car but its pretty nice no dent dings or anything, a few scratches but its a cool old school hotrod. runs 12.23s with some 906s we alleady had, just bigger valves, was bowl hogged for them and just blended from there nothing spectacular but they work pretty good prob call them 600 bucks if you had a set you could do what we did to ours. That about it. That was the original build now it has a set of ported and milled stage 6 heads and a big plate on it but hasnt made a pass since will update when the track opens.

Engine
IMGP0512.jpg

Duster
IMGP0500.jpg

You can spend as much money as yo want,this just shows what can be done on a low $ build.

i am in the middle of a 440 build for my 71 duster, but somewhere along the line i started to do a full tear down, so at this point i am not sure when it will get done.

what feed back i can add that hasn't already been mentioned is before you build the car, decide what you want to use it for, how fast you want it to go in a straight line and how fast you want it to go around a turn.

this will help you decide big block vs. small block and everything in between.

I have built several big block a-bodies...Some on the cheap and some more expensive. But I will tell you this...I have owned b-bodies mostly and some e-bodies but I love the feel of blowing away people in my 440 dart sport that looks like a stock motor! You can always barter parts too! I got a 391 s/g 8 3/4 chunk in an even trade for a 323 s/g chunk! remember if it was cheap and easy...Everybody would do it!

I've fooled with old cars for years but just started on my first BB Dart. Bought a solid 1967 Hardtop $2K, it already had disc brake conversion. Bought a running '70 440 and 727 for $500, picked up an edelbrock intake for $80.00 and a 780 Holley D/P for $150.00. Have a 9" trac. lok 3:55 that I'm going to narrow for it. Got it at pull a part for $85.00. I'm hoping to get it going for around $5K, just have to decide how much I want to put into the engine. I have a buddy that I swapped out some welding work with to build the trans. He said that he could make it "Knock the knobs off the dash" when it shifted if I wanted it to.

This is the yellow duster from above with the cage we just had put in it. He(womanator, my dad) and I have had alot of luck with tow yard auctions probably better than we deserve. That duster body and paint is the way we bought it except for the scoop and that came off of one of my old b.b. darts. Ive been all over that duster and its the cleanest underneath off all the mopars we have. Heres a shot of the interior the way we bought it(other than the rollbar and swingout doorbar we just had put in it and we can still have an interior. I dont know what the seats are out of but they are sure comfortable but heavy(our chassis guy was saying he was gonna use a cherrypicker to move them in and out while he was fitting the bars for the cage. I dont know what the seats came out of and I wish I did because they are super comfortable anyhow heres a few pics of the cage install:

This is before I put the interior back in
020209_19441.jpg

This one is to show the doorbar I dont have one of the interior done with the doorbar but I can tell you its really nonintrusive(the doorbar in our 67gt is kind of but Im a little bigger around than average.
020409_12381.jpg

Back seat in(has a factory fold down back seat and I kept it all functional)
020409_16242.jpg

And the rest of the interior installed
020409_17121.jpg

Heres a pic of the car The mexichrome flames were on it when we bought the body at the auction.

020509_12091.jpg

And my fav view
020509_13021.jpg

I know a rollbar isnt in the budget for a normal street build but we were running in the bottom of the 12s on the motor with 906s and have went 11:50s with the same setup on a 150 shot now we have a set of worked on stage 6s on the same shortblock so we figured itd be a good idea. Doesnt take much to go fast enough to need a cage(especially on the sauce with a BB) so it should be a consideration too.

Wow lots of issues to deal with putting a big block in an a-body..

not really. with the schumacher mounts its cake. The only prob is whether you go w/ an auto or 4 speed. Schu's headers will work w/ auto only. tti's will work with a 4 speed.

Dustereng6.jpg

Just finished a big block swap into my 68 4-door. I used Schumacher mounts and TTI headers. The headers did fit, but the clutch linkage did not. I had to modify the z bar big time!!! So be careful when they say the TTI's work with 4-speed. They sure as heck did not work for me!!

Silly thread, can't believe I read all 11 pages of it.

I had a pretty good running 350/350 4 speed Camaro with 373s in the back end around 1980, sucker weighed 3070 lbs with the back seat, console, and tool box laying on the ground. Only had one or two cars get around me all summer, but I got my *** handed to me by about 10 cars lengths one Saturday night by a puke green 67 Dart full of high school kids. That Dart was jacked up in the rear with some long *** shackles, and the rear tires were hanging out of fenders that were literally opened up with a torch. You guessed it, it had a 440/727 stuffed in it. Low 13s all day long without even breathing hard, even with the screwed up rear suspension.

Although it's slant motored, my Duster already has disc brakes and power steering and I can guaran-dam-tee you if a I didn't have a 340 that I've been hoarding for over twenty years "waiting in the wings", I'd have scrounged the money for the rotted out 76 motor home I found a couple of years ago and dealt with getting rid the nasty rotting carcass just to get my hands on the low mileage 440 (under 56K) in it. I'm already doing all the same things to get my 340 to live in the Duster that I'd be doing for the 440 except maybe the cost of Schumacher mounts (I found a beautiful V8 K for 50 bucks on the local Craigs List so I don't need to go the expense of conversion mounts for the 340).

i knwo even with putting a 340 in a /6 car, the cost has gone through the roof...........
now i am doing a four speed swap, but here goes

i jsut bought engine and trans package from here for 2,200.00 and cost 550 to go get it.
100 for hump
40 for z bar bracket for the fenderwell
set of /6 to 340 mounts from badlilred 125
aluminu rad 260.00, with electric fan
a body tti header ceramic coated 517.00
had to swap out rear to 8.75........ rear was free, but 500 for the 3:55 suregrip
no clue on driveshaft yet

the engine has about 2,000 worth of aftermarket parts and machine work done to it...............so i say i am in it for more than 4,500.00 just to start

I have a 1968 Dart GT which origianlly had a 273 in it.

Now it is a daily driver and has a 383 with all the usual goodies on it necessary to make it work. I'm not a mechanic, so I had to hire help to help me build the motor and transmission and do some welding and front end Disk brake retrofit as well as bodywork and paint and upholstery.

We built the car in our garage at home, so it took about a year from start to finish. Improvements were done after the initial final build.

My total investment at this Time is around $15K including the original price of the car ($2k)

this is my first build. Looking back on it, I could probably have done a few things cheaper..but all in all, total outlay would still be in the $12-13K range.

--

Do any of you know where I can Pick up a 4-speed trans for my demon? Its got a 383 in it. Also, what would the mopar 4-speed trans be called?

Best place would be craigslist. Other than that look on here. You can buy a rebuild from brewers. there is another place you can buy a new one but i don't know the name.

some things to consider with this is...

If you are using motor mounts or motor plate.

if your car has motor mounts you need...

10.5 inch bell housing. if i remember correctly my starter hit my torsion bar with an 11 inch and motor mounts. thats why I had to go 10.5)
BB Z bar kit from brewers performance or switch to hydrolic ( i prefer Z bar)
A833 4spd tranny
shifter
shifter rods
fly wheel. make sure you know if your engine is internal or ext. if it is internal, a 318 flywheel will work. But I think yours is ext. but I do not know.
clutch kit
clutch fork

If you have motor plate you will need...
10.5 inch or 11 inch bell will fit because the motor plate makes the engine sit higher in the engine bay. but I think you need fenderwell headers in order to fit the 11inch. again I could be wrong.
you will have to go hyd clutch
10.5 or 11 inch flywheel.
shifter rods
shifter
clutch fork
A833 four spd
clutch kit
and you may have to have your drive shaft shortend. but your old one should work. you may or may not be able to use the same yoke

should be about it.

Phil

-
Back