So you want 2 go Big block...Read this first!

-
im building a big block and my heads cost more than some of the cars youre building.Cheap is great but some want more.this started as a good thread to give people an idea of what to think about in a bb build. and went down hill from there.

1965 was the LAST year of the slant six center link (there were not supposed to be any in 66 a-bodies, but I don't know definitively). 1967 got a new center link due to the extra width. The SAME link was used through 1972. There was a new link for 1973, which was flatter due to the fact that it mounted BELOW the idler and pitman arms, instead of above like all 72-earlier a-bodies. There was NO slant-only link for 67-76 a-bodies.

There are however sometimes clearance issues with the idler arm stud on the early link. The fix is a little massage to the CORRECT oil pan.

im building a big block and my heads cost more than some of the cars youre building.Cheap is great but some want more.this started as a good thread to give people an idea of what to think about in a bb build. and went down hill from there.

Thank you, I thought it was a good idea, Now I wish that I could delete it. Knowone that is looking into doing a BB build is going to get anything out of this. Why people came in and started talking about SB builds, and whatnot really bothers me. If you wanted a forum to compare costs in building a BB and a SB, than make one yourself.

All I was trying to do was a good deed and give a heads up to anyone thinking of doing this build. all I got was jumped at, and Told, Many times, that I am wrong, and that A SB costs just as much etc etc.

Out of all this, I do think If you Go ALL OUT and build a Nuts engine, and Build a car up with the best parts you can get, and money isn't an issue... it doesn't matter if you go BB or SB it will cost the same. BUT if money does matter, and you are wanting to do things cost effective, and don't have alot of conections and you don't worrie about the BEST parts... there is a big difference in price.

Like I said in My last paragraph on the very first post.

"So if you think you have a relativly good grasp on the expenses of a big block instalation on an A body. Type your list down...including prices, and give a total. That way people that are thinking of doing it, can look and see what they have, what they need to buy, and roughly how much is it going to cost."

and on the first paragraph I requested reasonable prices, NOT GOOD DEALS

All I had was negativity and people saying that they could do it alot cheaper, and people saying that It costs just as much for a SB. Only a couple people posted a list, and included there costs Its good to know that it CAN be done alot cheaper, but there was SOOO many good deals listed to boot.

That is all I wanted it to be. Not a big debate.

Sorry for typing as much as I did all the time, but I felt that I had to defend the post. If everyone thought that they could do it for $2000, they are poorly mistaken. There is NO way I could do it for that cheap, and I have alot of connections.

AS far as the center link goes. I am sorry for saying that you guys were wrong. Your facts are right about the years and the center links, but you all should also know that there are cars out there that came with different things that isn't the norm. In which case, the center link may be an issue if you have an odd ball situation, or a certain year. You guys have your facts right, and you are right, But to say that I am wrong, and that my center link is the same, and I don't know what I am doing is wrong of you.

Not all of you guys were mean to debate with, but there were a couple. and I apologise if I offended anyone. did not mean to. I could see that it was getting a little ouit of hand a couple pages ago, so I wanted to make sure you knew that I wasn't mad, or had bad intentions...and then I feal it did just get out of hand.

I love this site, and recomend it to alot of people, but this one forum has got me to question how good it really is. If you disagread with my very first original quote, I asked to provide anotherone. I knew prices would be different around canada, and north america. I didn't want to debate about SB...this isn't even the SB section.

Sorry, and I hope this forum gets deleted

Phil.

I'm done

Phil, this was a good thread, and good threads are generally characterized by having great debates. So most of the information is out there now for people to read and glean what they need from it. Threads like this enhance the site as long as people play fair and nobody gets hurt. If you think this thread was out of hand then you should read some of the threads about motor oil. Jeez!!

Hey what did I miss. BIG BLOCK A BODIES RULE.There I said it, let the flinging commence. :evil2::evil2::evil2::evil2:

Terry

OK so I read this. I still want A big block. Your trick is not going to work on me. Trying to scare every one so you can have your big block A club. Shame on you.

OK so I read this. I still want A big block. Your trick is not going to work on me. Trying to scare every one so you can have your big block A club. Shame on you.

I don't think anybody is trying to scare you. It really is an easy swap. I really think that if my son and I had all the parts lined up, ready to install, that we could do the entire swap in a weekend, and still have time to drive it. The only reason my Barracuda is taking longer is because the engine/trans aren't ready to go yet and I want to paint first.

WHAT?????

You really didn't read it very well sorry if you took it that way

You are all trying to make me sound bad. this really sucks.

I started this thread because a Kid just got a /6 1970 dart for free, and he wanted to put a big block into it, But he said on his post that he is into the Hole spending money thing. i wanted him to have a grasp of the costs involved so I typed on his forum a list for a cheap build. Look at his forum for yourself. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=40848

Even Lycandart vbmenu_register("postmenu_322152", true); was on there, and posted his coments about the RB build...and I quote...

"IMO Goin RB it can be a pain to find exhaust for it and gets even better when you add in the 4-speed part of it!Unless you wanna spend lots of dough on little parts!"

weird that He would say that on another post, but not on this one.

anyways, on Aug 7th I posted the costs of a BB build there, and I thought...hey I bet some other people would like to know the costs for a BB build, so I thought It would be a good idea to make a post saying the costs. so one hour later, I pretty much cut and paste the exact post I made on the other forum onto this one. I don't know why the other post didn't get any comments on the build quote. and even at the begining of this one people thought it was a good post wih good info, I even comented to the cheaper builds that it Can be done, cheaper, and that is good to know, but not by the average person...and then people started bashing the hole thing.

You say shame on me?!?! on what grounds?

Burntorange70 vbmenu_register("postmenu_329991", true); I have talked to you on other posts, and havn't seen such comments. why now? what the heck.

You clearly miss read it.

Phil

Burntorange70 vbmenu_register("postmenu_329991", true); I have talked to you on other posts, and havn't seen such comments. why now? what the heck.

Phil[/QUOTE]

Easy Phil, that post is reeking with sarcasm. I think Burnt was merely being funny.

Phil

Easy Phil, that post is reeking with sarcasm. I think Burnt was merely being funny.[/quote]

I hope soo, I really can't tell anymore

Hey Phil take a pill (heh that rimes) LOL, I think Burntorange was funning
ya.

By the way I know first hand what it costs and is still costing since minor mistakes were made along the way. The overall cost is really a crap shoot since there are a ton of variables like cost of rear end, tranny and engine rebuild but if I had to ball park it I'd say 5-7K. This is if the doner car doesn't have an 8 3/4, 727 and front disc brakes.

and Phil, try not to get to upset at the comments as some of the members are just talking and sometimes things get lost in the translation since BB A Bodies is a hot topic to be sure.

Terry

On the other post was he comparing cost on going BB or SB/?Thats what this post is about right?Ok so my opinion on the other post was not a comparison but stating that if you wanna go to a bb 4-Speed in an a body can be hard to find parts for without spending alot of money not that it cant be done on a budget or even as a comparison on any other build.No one here would argue that ANY build can get costly!!!But does not have to be.And sure we can all build high $$$ **** on paper and in our heads but I dont think anyone is out to spend as much as possible are they?The amount you Can spend on a build is unlimited>>>>>for sure!And i would say from what I have seen going to a 4 speed on any build can get expencive regardless if you dont have a 4 speed car to begin with.

On the other post was he comparing cost on going BB or SB/?Thats what this post is about right?

No, thats not right...that is what it turned into, no where in my title, or initial post did I say i wanted to compare costs for a SB build and a BB build. If that is what I wanted this post to be, I wouldn't have put it in the BB A body section, and I would have put it in General mopar section

Ok so my opinion on the other post was not a comparison but stating that if you wanna go to a bb 4-Speed in an a body can be hard to find parts for without spending alot of money not that it cant be done on a budget or even as a comparison on any other build.No one here would argue that ANY build can get costly!!!But does not have to be.And sure we can all build high $$$ **** on paper and in our heads but I dont think anyone is out to spend as much as possible are they?

I agree about the 4 spd stuff. costs for a BB 4 spd, and everything, and a SB 4 spd and everything are almost the same. A couple hundred more for the BB because odds of finding used BB clutch lonkage for an A body would be rare, so you will have to buy it new.

and when you say that it doesn't have to be costly, you are very right again, I won't argue that, but that is why I am saying if you build a basic build BB, it will cost more than a basic build SB. Sure anyone Can do it cheaper. or more expensive, but let them be the judge if they want to or not. My initial quote was one being for all parts at a descent price. if they can get it for cheaper, then they can subtract the cost then. I was asking opinions on what other costs where in north america to do a BB build. never did I want to be talking about SB build.

But I guess I have learned somthing. You can't controll how which way a post goes.

The amount you Can spend on a build is unlimited>>>>>for sure!And i would say from what I have seen going to a 4 speed on any build can get expencive regardless if you dont have a 4 speed car to begin with.

Phil

Hey Phil take a pill (heh that rimes) LOL, I think Burntorange was funning
ya.

By the way I know first hand what it costs and is still costing since minor mistakes were made along the way. The overall cost is really a crap shoot since there are a ton of variables like cost of rear end, tranny and engine rebuild but if I had to ball park it I'd say 5-7K. This is if the doner car doesn't have an 8 3/4, 727 and front disc brakes.

and Phil, try not to get to upset at the comments as some of the members are just talking and sometimes things get lost in the translation since BB A Bodies is a hot topic to be sure.

Terry

thanks terry, It's true that when you read something, you might miss understand what they intended. I am sure I have miss undertood some people here, as well as people have missunderstood me.

forgive, and forget :)

Dont let them rile ya up. they,ll all be playing catch up on the street. big blocks rule

mrtire24, I was just funning you. I ment nothing buy that at all in a bad way. This is a great thread. Keep it up. Sorry for everything.

One day though when I have the money I will have my big block A LOL.

You sure talk negativly towards other members. Look, you may be right on the cars that you worked on, but the one that I had to do on my 1970 duster had to have the center link changed,, and the pitman arms.

I'm glad your done arguing this with me. You are the only one that takes personal jabs, and says I'm wrong, and I'm doing it wrong...when I could be right. I hope you don't come back to this post.

and another thing...so you get lucky and don't have to change the center link, and pitman/idler arms, brings us to $4600!!! you guys are arguing about a $200 thing, thatdoesn't even make a big difference in the price.
Alot of people said that my car may have just been given an older link when it was built just to get it out of the factory ( because they may have run out temporarily of the newer link) reguardless of the fact, I HAD to change it on mine. Beleive me if I didn't have to I wouldn't of.

Hope you don't come back, and you are done arguing. I don't mind the rest of you.

Phil

well i'm back in the thread. i'm not taking a personal shot. just saying something your doing is wrong. that is fact. either your car was a mis matched pile of parts when you got it or you mis matched all kinds of parts from bad information you have recieved somewhere along the line. man you get your panties in a bunch easy. relax man.

either your car was a mis matched pile of parts when you got it

and that would be my fault?

Maybe I did get worked up on this thread, but there sure seamed like some ganging up on here. at least on this side it felt like it. And it sure bugs you when you are told that you are doing somthing wrong, when you take something that IS wrong, and make it right. doesn't make sence. and the fact that i was able to figure it out when everyone else was saying things that didn't make sence ( but prob would have if My car had the parts they were talking about)

and i was trying to make sure you guys weren't getting upset a couple ppages back, and that we were all on the same page. I have re read this thread alot, and there is alot of misscomunication I think.

anyways..about the panties...I'm comando :bootysha:

:)

"I agree about the 4 spd stuff. costs for a BB 4 spd, and everything, and a SB 4 spd and everything are almost the same. A couple hundred more for the BB because odds of finding used BB clutch lonkage for an A body would be rare, so you will have to buy it new."

That's why I never even looked for that stuff. A little cut here, weld there and you've made it yourself. As a matter of fact, both of my sons' big block four speed a-bodies have relocated z-bars (the exhaust fits better this way). There was no factory setup for the big bell housing anyway.

This is hot rodding. Making parts, modifying parts, etc. In some ways things are way too easy these days. Just hop on the internet, order a bunch of parts with instructions, and throw the car together.

"I agree about the 4 spd stuff. costs for a BB 4 spd, and everything, and a SB 4 spd and everything are almost the same. A couple hundred more for the BB because odds of finding used BB clutch lonkage for an A body would be rare, so you will have to buy it new."

That's why I never even looked for that stuff. A little cut here, weld there and you've made it yourself. As a matter of fact, both of my sons' big block four speed a-bodies have relocated z-bars (the exhaust fits better this way). There was no factory setup for the big bell housing anyway. wouldn't one have come in a 440 4 spd 69 cuda?

This is hot rodding. Making parts, modifying parts, etc. In some ways things are way too easy these days. Just hop on the internet, order a bunch of parts with instructions, and throw the car together.

I do agrea, But not everyone can make the parts. and if they were going to buy a $400 welder, and then try and make it, they would be spending the same amount ( if not more) as if they were going to buy the parts allready made. Some people don't have the room for alot of bigger tools. Or the knowledge how to. the only reason I bought mine instead of making it was because I was on a deadline. But you are right, you can make them for way cheaper if you have the tools. If I do another BB swap with a 4 spd, I will take mine out of my car, and make one to match. allready have a welder, so it should be easy.

Phil

-
Back