Solid Roller Lifter Selection

-

gzig5

Reaction score
I'm considering a solid roller cam for an upcoming build and am looking into what is available for lifters. I know the BAM lifters get good reviews. Does anyone have any experience with the Comp 828-16? The 828's are not as expensive as the other COMP option I found. I'm not too worried about grinding for clearance, but more concerned with mechanical reliability of the lifter and it's roller. Any other brands to look for? I could probably get by with a SFT cam but a roller would help achieve my performance goals.

BAM. Or the old Crane Pro Series if you can find them. I think they were made by GS or something like that. You can call Straub Industries and talk to Chris on the GS stuff.

As long as the wheel is .800 or bigger the lifters will be durable. A .750 wheel has no place in a Chrylser.

As long as the wheel is .800 or bigger the lifters will be durable. A .750 wheel has no place in a Chrylser.

Ah yes, I forgot about the wheel diameter topic. I'd definitely want to use the larger one.

You want lifters with pressurized oiling to the axles...... which the 828’s do not have.

Not as big of a problem for a bracket race engine that’s not set on kill.
But really not a great choice for something that will see regular street use.

Probably related to the fact that most roller lobes are designed around using a .750” wheel.
Yeah but…I’ve been told that a .750” roller lifter can’t get out of its own way.

Penny wise, pound foolish. I would use a SFT before I used a .750 wheel roller. It makes no sense. You have a .904 bore, so why use a wheel that is used because it it’s an .842 bore?

The manufacturers love it because it makes them big bucks.

An it’s not so much the lobes are made for what wheel, it’s the base circle diameter that makes things difficult.

What’s sad and funny at the same time is I almost never see even a decent budget chevy go together with .842 lifter bores. Why? Because they want the bigger wheel. Same reason they all run shaft mounted rockers now, when they and their ancestors who think the earth is flat spent decades and hundreds of thousands of dollars trying to prove the stud mounted rocker was the cats ***.

It’s not the 1990’s any more.

I’ll give you a good deal on 7 (828-16) roller lifters with 50, 8th mile passes on them. Don’t ask what happened to the 8th one.

I’ll give you a good deal on 7 (828-16) roller lifters with 50, 8th mile passes on them. Don’t ask what happened to the 8th one.
I’ll pass. That’s the feedback I’m looking for. I have a partial set of comp 829 big block lifters that probably suffered the same fate. Needle bearings on the roller couldn’t keep up.

I’ll pass. That’s the feedback I’m looking for. I have a partial set of comp 829 big block lifters that probably suffered the same fate. Needle bearings on the roller couldn’t keep up.

My link bar broke letting the lifter turn wiping out a stock crank 360 that ran 6.54 like clockwork.
**** Comp!!!

Sorry for your loss but thanks for the feedback. Think I’ll avoid the 828’s as I haven’t heard a lot of positive things on them as I keep looking.

Sorry for your loss but thanks for the feedback. Think I’ll avoid the 828’s as I haven’t heard a lot of positive things on them as I keep looking.

I bought a set of Bams years ago when the old dealer sold them. I put them in my new 408. I have a set of Crower lifters I’m going to call about this week for a 360 shortblock I have for my son. I hear comp even quit rebuilding their own lifters.

.750 wheel, no issues here...
As for running sft over a .750 wheel solid roller....you'd have to be blind and dumb.
Compare the fkn lobes, it's a damn triangle vs a thumb!

I’m using the Hughes solid roller lifters that I purchased off fishy68 from here over 4 years ago engine is coming up to 20k no issues . Just use a decent oil synthetic, and don’t get carried away on the spring pressures ,use within the lifter & cam recommendations and you should be fine .

I'd like to see some dyno comparisons between a .750 and an .850 roller. I get it. It's similar to using for instance a Chevy lobe in a Mopar. Kinda the same thing, yet millions of people have done it and won countless races NOT taking advantage of the Chrysler .903 lifter.

I will agree though, that if you're a serious racer, you're gonna want to find power "wherever" you can and I can see where the bigger roller would allow for "more" lobe......even still I'd like to see "exactly" what the difference the dyno......or more importantly the drag strip says. After all, the strip IS the dyno that counts most.

On roller wheel size alone, I don’t see or have an issue with a .750 wheel. I however would say it has its place. I’m on the street and I have a zero issue with it there.

Now if I’m pounding the 1/4 mile …..

No roller bearings, bushings!

Starts to be the same broken record after while...

If this starts up again...it won't be long before someone lifts the needle and shelfs the record.

Regardless of what lifters you get, or any parts for that matter, Summit pricing just doesn’t seem very good anymore. I find myself using this place as my default source. No tax and shipping usually included in most cases.

From research and user reviews I’d be eyeballing either of these for rollers with no grinding needed (that I’ve read of so far):

F6C83BF5-4BBE-44DE-A7E1-289FAF80746F.jpeg

1B4DB027-59F2-4EFF-993E-BE924F6D02BA.jpeg

Regardless of what lifters you get, or any parts for that matter, Summit pricing just doesn’t seem very good anymore. I find myself using this place as my default source. No tax and shipping usually included in most cases.

From research and user reviews I’d be eyeballing either of these for rollers with no grinding needed (that I’ve read of so far):

View attachment 1715855570

View attachment 1715855571
Wheel size?

-
Back