Some people at Car shows

-
When I used to have my Challenger I would drive it, never failed someone somewhere would say nice Camaro! After awhile I just gave up, I would start saying Thanks.

I rarely take my car to car shows. But I took my 69 Dart to the Hot Rod show in El Segundo, CA last night because they were going to have a cackle fest with a couple of 68 top fuel dragsters. It was really a good show. I had just started up my car to leave when a couple of folks said 'great sounding car' and 'beautiful car' when one guy pops his head into my passenger window and asks "did this used to be a Coronet?". I was flabbergasted but he was serious. I am not a mean spirited type of guy but I couldn't help it. I told him 'yes, but it took a lot of work to shrink the car down to look like a Dart'. He states "well you did a wonderful job'. And I thanked him for his comment. Now does this look like a Coronet from any year?

LOL!!

Well..............Maybe...........Ummmmm......
It kinda looks like.........well......right
Here!
OK, now I see how maybe a non mopar dude could see a coronet right here!;

Attachments

• HAHA Cornet.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 350
My Duster has been called a Nova,Chevel,and a Impala. When I tell them it's a Duster they ask me- What's a Duster? Oh never mind.

Then theres the ones that don't even need to see your car to make judgements. I remember a friend going to the DMV to register a 68 Dart he just bought. The clerk could barely speak english, but knew enough to say, "Oh, thats one of those ugly green cars isn't it?"
I remember telling a girl that I drove a 68 Plymouth, and she recalled an ex-boyfriend of hers who had an "ugly green Duster".
Why is it that our cars have the reputation of all having been painted an "ugly green" color?

The worst thing I ever heard was at a weekly car show in North St. Paul. From my own cousin said:
My '65 Valiant (stone stock, red/white top, 13" whitewalls and full wheelcovers) gets called "cute" all the time... And by some quite attractive ladies. Ladies who will walk right past that tubbed, 'caged, blown rat powered Chevelle to tell me how "cute" my Valiant is. I don't mind at all. 8)

Too bad it took me so long to figure out this is the car I shoulda had back when I was young and single, lol!

Really I don't mind when "general public, non-gearhead" types compliment my (pick one- Rambler, Falcon, ChevyII, F-85, etc,etc.) They're just bein' nice and showing some interest, that's cool.

I can deal with ignorance, people just don't know that much. Hell, I'd be hard pressed to tell a Civic from a Corolla without looking at the name plate. All new cars look like a Jelly Belly to me. Further, I KNOW I've misidentified cars before. In reality, I think the guys who come up and say, "I owned one just like it...." are simply trying to connect, trying to show that they like cars too. Unfortunately, instead of saying, "Wow, nice car." They'd rather expose their ignorance.

What I really, really hate is when I know more about their car than they do, and I'm not talking the minutia crap, like does your 340 car have the washer welded on the front of the K-member. For example, I was at a show and saw a really nice 64 Impala convertible with the hood closed, and no engine emblems on the side. I asked the guy if it had a 409 in it. He said, "Chevy never made a 409."

:banghead:

What pisses me off, is that it should be a requirement that if you own a nice classic car whether you built it or not, you should at least know SOMETHING about cars.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

LOL,

I get a lot of people that ask if my Duster is a Nova...

I love these Car Show stories!!, I have a '72 Swinger ,318, Matching #s, Some Guy told me @ a Cruise on night that I had the wrong Engine in my car, He said they only put slant 6's in Swingers???, Glad I Found Out!!!:hello2::hello2::wack:

About a year ago I was working on my barracuda in the driveway and a guy driving past in a jeep stopped and asked me where I got the " '67 Tempest" and what I wanted for it. He said he really loves those cars and has been searching for one. He got kinda pissed when I told him that it was a '68 Plymouth Barracuda.

I have people stop and tell me I have a nice Chevelle, it's actually a 67 Dart. I almost had it sold to a guy when I told him it was a very rare Dart Chevelle and only made for 6 months and sold in the surfing community of Malibu California. Some people will never learn.

Dan in Silicon Valley

I am going to take my 66 Barracuda sedan to a show I just herd about tonight.
lol, Tony!! 383 over head cam :D

I just got back from my fiends shop and herd about this :cheers: I wish I knew about it earlier today :banghead:
I guess I will get up early and give Victoria a bath and go take some pictures and share them here :hello2:

My 66 Barracuda sedan
:joker::D

Attachments

• MMPWE 20011 Intake and gifts 033.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 325
  • Challenger%20IN%20NASCAR%20Cup%20race%20017.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 308
You have to understand the people and that they are NOT 100% car people.My 65 chrysler is one of the best looking caddies they seen in years,you just smile and say thanks,and know that you are in a new catorgory now,and you own a GM.But in the end, you that with enough medication,any car can look like a coronet,mrmopartech

The problem is some people shouldn't ask stupid questions trying to hide the fact that they know nothing about your car. If you're unsure of what you're looking at, don't try and guess or claim the make or model, just ask the owner what kind of car it is. Simple.

When I first bought the 67 van in 2007, the local Mopar club hosted a cruise-in about 15 miles from my house. I got a vinyl decal that read "UNDER CONSTRUCTION", slapped some chrome wheels / white lettered tires on, and went to the show, primer spots and all. I had the only A-van there, and got several compliments on my new score.

Then the "expert" pulled in. This dude is driving a ratty mid 90s F150 and drives right past the "club parking only" sign and parks just down from me. Half hour later, after he has checked out everyone else's rides, he looks at my pile and says "I wouldna brought that out till it's finished." I said "Just bought it, and thought people might like to see what I started with. It's the only one here." He tells me he knows where I can buy one "just like it, cept it got a factory 4 speed!" When I asked where, he told me, and I knew the van and owner. "That van is a 69 Chevy, and it's a 3 on the tree." I told him. He says " Yeah, it's just like this one, cept its got a 4 speed and its a Chevy."

I politely told him that a friend has a truck just like his black F150, cept it's a yellow Chevy Luv.

It is illiteracy. Apparently O-M-N-I spells rabbit. I get that all the time when I have that car out.

It is illiteracy. Apparently O-M-N-I spells rabbit. I get that all the time when I have that car out.
LOL!!! Nobody can read an emblem. And nobody knows enough about the parent corporations (Chrysler, AMC, GM, FoMoCo) either, 'cause you always get to overhear things like "Pontiacs are Mopars, too." and "Chrysler made the Pacers and Gremlins, but Ford made the Hornet.":wack:

For example, I was at a show and saw a really nice 64 Impala convertible with the hood closed, and no engine emblems on the side. I asked the guy if it had a 409 in it. He said, "Chevy never made a 409."

I would take that to mean that, no, it didn't have a 409, and two, he bought the car cause it looked cool.

I wish I had a nickle ever time my 66 dart wagon wuz call'd a FALCON WAGON????.....

happens every year - they look at my lil red express and comment "my buddy had one just like it....but his was blue/black/green/yellow/purple...any color but RED thats printed in gold lettering on the door.

I usually just say boy, that ones really rare!

Yep, you gotta let them talk, thank um and wait for the next one
to stop. A lot of these folks will probably never have one of these
cars and this may be their way of being part of the group. I have no
problem with that. If I get a chance, I correct them. If not, I just
let it pass. It's just great to talk cars with folks.....I could do it
all day and have.:D

Did I mention that the gentle man was around 60ish and was wearing a Spring Fling 2010 t-shirt? I wondered what he was thinking all the way home. That and why I was the only one standing behind the '68 top fueler when it was running. They ask me to move before they blipped the throttle. Truly a thing of beauty. Here it is.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV5_kEGNI_Q&feature=related"]Hot Rod Magazine car show on 9-30-2011- Part 3 - YouTube[/ame]

Don't forget that the 383's were faster than the Hemi's back in the day! Had a guy tell me that one once, I just agreed with him, he just wasn't worth the effort!

I love these Car Show stories!!, I have a '72 Swinger ,318, Matching #s, Some Guy told me @ a Cruise on night that I had the wrong Engine in my car, He said they only put slant 6's in Swingers???, Glad I Found Out!!!:hello2::hello2::wack:

guess the 340's were mistakes huh?

-
Back