Some Thoughts On Slant Geometry

-

whitepunkonnitro

Reaction score
Coming to the end of the year..my first year of messing around with a Slant, and I'm still trying to get a basic handle on the characteristics of these engines.
Lots of thought, along with cross breeding ideas from my experience with Fuelers, Stockers and everything in between, has led me to a few conclusions..I figured to share them here, because I know a lot of you are going through the same thing.
The car I'm working with is an extremely lightweight Dart that currently has a "mule" 225, stick and 4:10 gear. Immediate goal was to get it into the 12.90s on motor alone, and then spray it down for some grudge action. Car has a 175 horse plate on it, but so far it has never been turned on.
So, this is what I've learned so far.
The 225 is a bit of a paradoxical engine. Its not a typical drag engine with its under square, long rod ratio bottom end. Before I built this thing, I watched countless videos as well as live passes and always saw the same thing..an engine that was very sluggish on the initial hit, but that would turn on just a few feet out. The automatic cars all sounded like they were in pain.
I thought I could beat that system. After all, anything with a 4.15 inch stroke HAS to make low end torque, right? Just needs to be coaxed out of it.
Wrong.
My initial engine setup..again, just a mule to learn with, consists of a cast crank, stock rods, stock pistons (turned around in their bores), A Comp Cams RV grind and head that has been ported to smooth flow, but not increase port and bowl volume beyond what was necessary to get proper contour. The idea here was to build as much low end velocity as I could, to beat that lack of instant grunt.
The head was shaved .100,and installed with a steel shim gasket.
The intake is an Offy 4 barrel that I reoriented the carb on to face North/South, so that there wouldn't be any questions when it came time to tune the carb. Carb is a 600 AFB that I have set up so it can be run on only the primaries, half secondary and full secondary (I immediately found those options unnecessary..the engine seems to want all it can get)
I did have to jet the carb WAY down to get happy plug readings. Currently it has .098s in the primaries and .081s in the secondaries. (Out of the box was .103/.100). At anything over 3000, its as happy and snappy as any 225 6 banger could possibly be.
Timing is locked out at 34 degrees.
So, initial test hits were all done with a 904, and stock converter.
Right away I knew something was wrong. No matter how I tuned or drove this thing, it was flat out dead at the hit.
Dozens of launches, every conceivable combination of timing, jetting, carb opening, pump shot..dead. I could barely get the converter to stall at 1800..the first five feet, this thing would just ooze out of the hole. After that, hang on! From around 3000 to 5800-6000 its an animal...very happy with the way it runs out.
I considered a few converter options, but ultimately converted the car to stick just to eliminate any of those expensive variables.
So, that is how I cured my issue. First time out, it obliterated the standard issue Slant clutch, and the car is apart right now and getting a HD, B&B, intended for a 273 Commando.
Back to the lack of grunt, and geometrical issues that led to them.
The stock 225 bottom end, under square as it is, and with a 1.8 plus rod ratio and tiny bore, does not have enough rod angularity to generate an effective push off TDC at lower rpm. As crank speed increases, the pressure front at the top of piston begins to better match journal speed as it swings past TDC, and suddenly real torque generation takes place.
Where that long rod ratio and extended dwell time would actually be beneficial to generating torque is the same place where the Slant runs out of cylinder head. Geometricly speaking, the 225 WANTS to be a 7000 plus RPM engine, but getting there is near impossible because of the flow characteristics of its head.
I had considered trying to work with a 170, to better match the size of the ports available, but the situation in terms of rod ratio is just as bad as the 225, and you're giving up 55 cubic inches...and in engines at this scale, that's HUGE!
Right in the middle, you have the 198…and it would be the perfect foundation for a Slant if someone was to produce a cross flow Hemi head and valvetrain that could sustain 10,000 rpm...that ain't happening. The rods are vertical for so long in those engines, making any meaningful torque under 4000 rpm is impossible.
So, there are three choices in stock configuration, and none of them are very well suited to getting a drag car off the starting line with any real anger, but, if we do a little mixing and matching, we might be able to come up with something that will work.
Over the winter, I'll be building what I think will be the most effective combination for one of these things.
I am going to fit a 198 crank into a 170 block. Using the stock length 170 rods, my ratio will be a much more drag friendly 1.56. I also plan on using reverse offset pistons to help that angularity along even more, dropping the effective rod ratio closer to 1.5.
It looks like the crank will fit with just a touch of grinding at the bottom of the bores. I'll post updates on it as I move forward on it.
This could be the magic Slant bullet!
1476973827129-240134196.jpg

Last edited:
...I know your looking for more, but just thought I'd throw this out.....
Messed with a couple by doing 3 things:
1. Cut the head .100
2. Added the super six (2bbl intake and carb)
3. Exhaust manifolds have different exit holes. Found the bigger one and ran 2 1/4 exhaust.

Both responded very well and really couldn't tell it was the same engine. The one was in a '72 Duster that we threw 3.55's behind. Even with the stock converter, it would turn the tires very easy.
Never took it to the strip, but we did line it up against a Dynasty 3.3 I had at the time that ran 17.27.
Before: The Dynasty beat it by about 4-5 car lengths.
After: The Duster smoked it so bad you couldn't even count the car lengths.
Conclusion: Nice, nice gain for spending about 200 bucks.

Coming to the end of the year..my first year of messing around with a Slant, and I'm still trying to get a basic handle on the characteristics of these engines.
Lots of thought, along with cross breeding ideas from my experience with Fuelers, Stockers and everything in between, has led me to a few conclusions..I figured to share them here, because I know a lot of you are going through the same thing.
The car I'm working with is an extremely lightweight Dart that currently has a "mule" 225, stick and 4:10 gear. Immediate goal was to get it into the 12.90s on motor alone, and then spray it down for some grudge action. Car has a 175 horse plate on it, but so far it has never been turned on.
So, this is what I've learned so far.
The 225 is a bit of a paradoxical engine. Its not a typical drag engine with its under square, long rod ratio bottom end. Before I built this thing, I watched countless videos as well as live passes and always saw the same thing..an engine that was very sluggish on the initial hit, but that would turn on just a few feet out. The automatic cars all sounded like they were in pain.
I thought I could beat that system. After all, anything with a 4.15 inch stroke HAS to make low end torque, right? Just needs to be coaxed out of it.
Wrong.
My initial engine setup..again, just a mule to learn with, consists of a cast crank, stock rods, stock pistons (turned around in their bores), A Comp Cams RV grind and head that has been ported to smooth flow, but not increase port and bowl volume beyond what was necessary to get proper contour. The idea here was to build as much low end velocity as I could, to beat that lack of instant grunt.
The head was shaved .100,and installed with a steel shim gasket.
The intake is an Offy 4 barrel that I reoriented the carb on to face North/South, so that there wouldn't be any questions when it came time to tune the carb. Carb is a 600 AFB that I have set up so it can be run on only the primaries, half secondary and full secondary (I immediately found those options unnecessary..the engine seems to want all it can get)
I did have to jet the carb WAY down to get happy plug readings. Currently it has .098s in the primaries and .081s in the secondaries. (Out of the box was .103/.100). At anything over 3000, its as happy and snappy as any 225 6 banger could possibly be.
Timing is locked out at 34 degrees.
So, initial test hits were all done with a 904, and stock converter.
Right away I knew something was wrong. No matter how I tuned or drove this thing, it was flat out dead at the hit.
Dozens of launches, every conceivable combination of timing, jetting, carb opening, pump shot..dead. I could barely get the converter to stall at 1800..the first five feet, this thing would just ooze out of the hole. After that, hang on! From around 3000 to 5800-6000 its an animal...very happy with the way it runs out.
I considered a few converter options, but ultimately converted the car to stick just to eliminate any of those expensive variables.
So, that is how I cured my issue. First time out, it obliterated the standard issue Slant clutch, and the car is apart right now and getting a HD, B&BB, intended for a 273 Commando.
Back to the lack of grunt, and geometrical issues that led to them.
The stock 225 bottom end, under square as it is, and with a 1.8 plus rod ratio and tiny bore, does not have enough rod angularity to generate an effective push off TDC at lower rpm. As crank speed increases, the pressure front at the top of piston begins to better match journal speed as it swings past TDC, and suddenly real torque generation takes place.
Where that long rod ratio and extended dwell time would actually be beneficial to generating torque is the same place where the Slant runs out of cylinder head. Geometricly speaking, the 225 WANTS to be a 7000 plus RPM engine, but getting there is near impossible because of the flow characteristics of its head.
I had considered trying to work with a 170, to better match the size of the ports available, but the situation in terms of rod ratio is just as bad as the 225, and you're giving up 55 cubic inches...and in engines at this scale, that's HUGE!
Right in the middle, you have the 198…and it would be the perfect foundation for a Slant if someone was to produce a cross flow Hemi head and valvetrain that could sustain 10,000 rpm...that ain't happening. The rods are vertical for so long in those engines, making any meaningful torque under 4000 rpm is impossible.
So, there are three choices in stock configuration, and none of them are very well suited to getting a drag car off the starting line with any real anger, but, if we do a little mixing and matching, we might be able to come up with something that will work.
Over the winter, I'll be building what I think will be the most effective combination for one of these things.
I am going to fit a 198 crank into a 170 block. Using the stock length 170 rods, my ratio will be a much more drag friendly 1.56. I also plan on using reverse offset pistons to help that angularity along even more, dropping the effective rod ratio closer to 1.5.
It looks like the crank will fit with just a touch of grinding at the bottom of the bores. I'll post updates on it as I move forward on it.
This could be the magic Slant bullet!
View attachment 1714981606

...I know your looking for more, but just thought I'd throw this out.....
Messed with a couple by doing 3 things:
1. Cut the head .100
2. Added the super six (2bbl intake and carb)
3. Exhaust manifolds have different exit holes. Found the bigger one and ran 2 1/4 exhaust.

Both responded very well and really couldn't tell it was the same engine. The one was in a '72 Duster that we threw 3.55's behind. Even with the stock converter, it would turn the tires very easy.
Never took it to the strip, but we did line it up against a Dynasty 3.3 I had at the time that ran 17.27.
Before: The Dynasty beat it by about 4-5 car lengths.
After: The Duster smoked it so bad you couldn't even count the car lengths.
Conclusion: Nice, nice gain for spending about 200 bucks.
Absolutely, you can make great gains for super cheap on a driver type car. Trying to get one of these things to the next level is much easier said than done, though.

I am not doubting anything you have mentioned. I am wondering where you got the 1.8+ rod ratio for the 225. I tried an online calculator and used 6.699 in rod length and a 4.125 stroke. That calculated to a 1.62 rod ratio. I just want to get things straight as I am also building a 225 drag engine (but mine is in a heavier 65 B body @ 3200 lbs.) I always was interested in the 'science' of these things.

I am not doubting anything you have mentioned. I am wondering where you got the 1.8+ rod ratio for the 225. I tried an online calculator and used 6.699 in rod length and a 4.125 stroke. That calculated to a 1.62 rod ratio. I just want to get things straight as I am also building a 225 drag engine (but mine is in a heavier 65 B body @ 3200 lbs.) I always was interested in the 'science' of these things.
Yes, you are right. The number is 1.62..not sure where the 1.8 I typed came from.

ok, just checking (my) numbers.
Is a 1.5 ration more ideal for a drag engine?
I feel that the very small bore needs as much mechanical leverage as possible, as early in the power stroke as possible. The shorter the rod ratio, the more angularity is achieved in the stroke.
Think of it this way. If you were to try to rotate the crank by hand, by pushing straight down on it from a journal placed at TDC, it would never budge. If you kept your hand in the same place, but tilted your arm, the crank would spin. The more angle to your arm, the less effort it would take to move the crank.

Just to randomly throw this out there...I also wonder exactly how much of the 225s displacement is actually viable.
Meaning, with only a 3.4 inch bore, how much of the charge is spent before the piston travels to its 90 degree ATDC point, at lower rpm.
By speeding the pistons acceleration rate away from TDC, as you would with a shorter rod ratio, would you then be closer matching the duration of effective burn to the number of crankshaft degrees covered?

Higher compression decreases duration time, but supercharging would definitely help...as would longer duration burn fuels like alcohol or nitromethane

I'm trying to wrap my head around this.
I wonder if heat from exhaust manifold isn't a factor.
Overall no low end torque with good mid-range & up sounds like non-optimized port, intake valve size & valve timing.
Does retarding the cam help the launch?

I'm trying to wrap my head around this.
I wonder if heat from exhaust manifold isn't a factor.
Overall no low end torque with good mid-range & up sounds like non-optimized port, intake valve size & valve timing.
Does retarding the cam help the launch?
No heat on my setup. Hooker long tubes with the heat tube cut and welded closed. It IS a factor on regular street driver type cars, though. Actually affects cars today now more than it did in the past because of ethenol
Retarding the cam timing is the opposite of what you want for a strong launch...with a gasoline engine.

All very interesting, Tony. I think if anyone can unlock the secret to a strong NA slant, it's surely you. I think you are on the right track thinking about shorter rods. Short rods increase piston speed.

All very interesting, Tony. I think if anyone can unlock the secret to a strong NA slant, it's surely you. I think you are on the right track thinking about shorter rods. Short rods increase piston speed.
Its not piston speed I'm wanting, its rod angularity. We want that thing to lean over and shove the crank in its direction of rotation as early in the cycle as we can

Its not piston speed I'm wanting, its rod angularity. We want that thing to lean over and shove the crank in its direction of rotation as early in the cycle as we can

I get it, but the short rod will accomplish that, too.

I appreciate your efforts. If it was easy.... I am going to go the light weight route to get mine going. Also 5 speed manual to get it down the track faster. My goal is fastest NA slant. I guess I am old school, as I don't want to use fuel, blow or turbo to get it done.

WP:
You were looking for 12.9's on motor. What kind of 60 foot, and at what car weight.
What did you get on your test runs?

There are several pistons in the United Engine online catalog in the Silvolite line that fit the bill as far as bore and their compression height is much taller, which would allow a shorter rod.......of some sort if that's what you want.

Just throwin it out there.

WP:
You were looking for 12.9's on motor. What kind of 60 foot, and at what car weight.
What did you get on your test runs?
No usable track data to this point. Most of our testing has been done in an industrial park. Our one actual outing with the car was with the auto and 3:23, stock converter. I'd be lying if I told you I even looked at the time slips. I knew the combination was for far off, I just discarded them.

-
Back