Somebody please help me buy some axles.

-

LXguy

Reaction score
Hey All

Just got my 8-3/4 rear end for the Dart. It does not currently have axles.

I want to upgrade to the BBP when I put new axles in. I have some B body brakes to put on already.

I'm looking for something stronger than stock for high 11 low 12 second racing, but I want to stay with the factory 30 spline differential. Car will also see street use.

I do need longer wheel studs, but if there's something shorter than 3", I'd sure like to hear about it.

I hear about the Green bearings that elminate the factory adjuster and that sounds awesome to me. Is it race only?

Is there someplace that I can just order axles with the bearings already pressed on and studs installed?

Thanks!

Steve

I've never tried to get them done like that. Id say probably, anybody can, they justcost more. The 3" studs are so the car can easilly p[*** tech. You have to have a stud long enough to extend completely thru the nut. not closed end nuts. I do sometimes cut down the long studs to clean up the apprearance tho. As far as who? I'd call Cass at Dr. Diff. He sells and does anything, and his pricing is good. Moser, Yukon, Strange, and a few others all have axles for you. I like the green bearings too...

I put Moser axles in my Demon. They came with green bearings pressed on and whatever studs I wanted or bolt pattern (I also put the BBP). No problems.

I've also dealt with Cass - straight up guy, good stuff, good prices.

mosher or strange,or mark williams,or dutchman, they al do axles,,
mosher is probably a better deal for the street price wise,,they will ask you for a measurement im sure,,of axel length, tell them it is for a street /strip car,,and you want big bolt pattern 5 on 4 1/2 with the green bearings,,last time i seen a price was 225.00 for a pair ,withthe cost of metal lately im sure it has gone up

I haven't run the green bearings but I've read mixed reviews. I've been told the manufacturer recommends them for straight line racing only. From the tech stuff I've seen, the reason is simple:

:read2:
The green bearing is a flat bearing. The factory used a tapered Temkin design. Supposedly, in sharp corning, a lot of side thrust is placed against the bearing, a condition that tapered bearings were designed to accomodate. In fact, a tapered bearing would absorb all the stress, where a flat bearing would try to disintegrate under the G force. It may be that the green bearing housings will hold up against the side force of a 90 mile per hour corning run, but losing an axle coming off a high speed mountain run would not be my idea of a pleasant afternoon.
I guess it all depends on how you will driving on the street.
Greg Purcell

Damn I am impressed with you guys . . . where did ya learn all this stuff?? Compliments to all. Rog

I think I'll just call Moser. I had a bad experience with them last time, but I'll hope for the best.

Anyone know the length for the A-body 8-3/4 axle?

I don't drive aggressively on the street. I also live in the flattest place on earth. Central Illinois is laid out pretty much on a grid, so about the only time you turn is to park.

I dig the passing tech deal, it just usually seems like the 3" studs stick out an inch or so past the top of the nuts and that looks racier than I want on the street. Technically, the rule is that the stud only has to go past the wheel an amount equal to its' width. EX: A 1/2-20 stud only has to go 1/2"

Steve

been running the green bearing in both my mopars for years,,,both are street driven,,66 barracuda and my 1940 dodge,no problems ever

Attachments

• Untitled01.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 305
Thanks for the information guys.

I just called Moser and ordered. Axles with bearings and studs.

$441.00 delivered.

I hope that's two. LOL!

Give this guy a call and se what kind of price he can give you. His email is [email protected] and I've always gotten decent service and prices from him.

Scott Vadnais
Moparts Parts and Service,
Restoration, performance, general Chrysler repair parts and Mopar Performance at discounted prices
And we also have a complete line of OEM
Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth and Jeep
parts at wholesale prices.
Including Mopar new vehicle accessories.
"We ship worldwide"

St.Paul MN 55125
651-714-4883

Larry

That's a pretty good price. I paid $425 including shipping for Yukon axles, green bearings, and regular length studs from Dr. Diff earlier this month.

I have heard from a few road racers that the green bearings are too sloppy. I think in a car that doesn't see much cornering they would be fine but anything that is driven like I drive they wouldn't work very well.

I don't know that I would put them on a road race vehicle either, but this subject has been debated since they first came out. Green bearing are fine on a street driven vehicle.

Had 2 bad experiences w/green bearings in my Coronet 500 and my 300...they didn't last more than 10k miles before they started making noise. Get the Timken's, have them set up properly (ie-spend the money the first time), and enjoy! Green bearings are junk on anything you plan to drive even on a semi-regular basis

first time im hearing any thing on green bearings,, and i just put a set in my street rod,,,

call moser,youkon, dr diff. they can all sell you axles. tell them its for a stock a-body rear and you'll be fine.

as far as the green bearigs go, i have heard horror stories about them all over the net. but i have used them in quite a few cars with no issues at all. hell my dart has had them in it since the early 90's. it has a ton of miles on it. it was a daily drivr for years in the 90's.

-
Back