Someone Please Make Up My Mind

-

Forrest

Reaction score
My '77 360 block went to the machine shop/motor builder today, along with the stock crank, stock connecting rods, stock pistons, and stock '596 cast iron heads. The shop is going to clean and mag everything and then contact me for the build. I am staying with the stock crank, stock connecting rods, and stock cast iron heads. I am looking for a mild build on this motor. I could care less about horse power and torque but I want that late 60's, muscle car lope. I'm thinking If I build it with decent performance in mind that I will get some good performance and sound quality as a result. So, what do you guys recommend for this type of build: 9 to 9.5 compression, HP and torque not important, motor will not be Dyno'd, no strip use, all street and cruising, lopey, 60's muscle car sound wanted, 727 tranny, 8-3/4 3:55 sure grip, into a '69 Dodge Dart (see avatar). Thanks in advance. Forrest

Well, that's a new question. I have read lots of small block build questions, but never one where the poster doesn't care about HP or torque, just how it sounds?!?

I think a good solid rebuild with one of Comp Cams Thumpr cams might be what you are looking for.

Thumpr cams

So basically all your doing is a cam swap for sound?Come on,you gotta add alittle performance over stock?

just a stock rebuild with a mild cam as suggested,stock cast iron four bbl intake and some heades or 340 manifolds,duals and a mild torque convertor will give surprising results, dont forget good valve springs matched to the camshaft and a distributor recurve :cheers:

Replace the pistons with hypereutectics, internally balance, and use a cam around 225-230°@.050. You're done...lol.

OH yea, what Moper said! Add pistons, most certainly, add pistons!

A set of KB107's and rings are under $250 delivered to the door.

The "60s muscle car lope" was found only in big blocks. You can get a performance engine lope sound from a mild cam but you'll loose idle at cold start.
I've rebuilt 3 engines for my personal cars over the years. I spent a lot of time pondering the aftermarket performance options and weighing those suggestions from others. In the end all 3 engines were put back stock. The only change was dual exhaust.
That way anyone could go to my car, set the choke, turn the key and walk away, even on the coldest morning.

The lope was more a result of mismatched parts and/or poor tuning...lol. Still is from what I see every summer...lol.

Replace the pistons with hypereutectics, internally balance, and use a cam around 225-230°@.050. You're done...lol.

I second that,but I'd go one step further and build a zero deck engine. I find they have a much crisper sound.

9-9.5 thats kinda low isnt it? 10-1 is what id go with

Not really. Alot depends on the combo. Keep in mind, the NASCAR truck series Dodge trucks made well over 700 HP with the restrictions placed apon them, one of them being a 9.0-1 ratio.

While power would have sooared with a much higher ratio, this example just shows that power can still be made even with a 9.0-1 ratio.

Furtherly, todays fuel will leave behind deposites that cake up to raise the ratio sum. Add performance cams with lots of over lap, carbs never run perfect all year, etc..... It add's up.

The issue is the ehads. You go with a true 10:1 and run a mild cam like the XE268 and it will ping like mad. You run the KB107s at a little under deck (you can square deck for "0" but this is a budget build) and with the typical Permatorque FelPros you get about 9.4:1. It works very well and you don't have the ping issue.

The issue is the ehads. You go with a true 10:1 and run a mild cam like the XE268 and it will ping like mad. You run the KB107s at a little under deck (you can square deck for "0" but this is a budget build) and with the typical Permatorque FelPros you get about 9.4:1. It works very well and you don't have the ping issue.

x2 with a performance 3 Angle Valve Job done on the heads while they are being refreshed!!!!

Hey, If you have it in a machine shop why not do things right? Spend a couple of extra bucks and be more happy with the finished product.Do not forget,these Mopar beauties always cost us money but you are only on this Planet Once! Unless you know something I don't!! Just My 2 Cents...Do what you feel is right for you..

If you are not that concerned with performance,just go to the salvage and buy a good usable 360 magnum. Throw a Comp Thumper or Hughes Whiplash cam in it, slap on an intake and carb and save yourself a lot of dough.

-
Back