Someone's stirring up the Bees Nest about "you" doing the work at Self-checkouts

-
I use the “self checkout” at Costco. There are up to three employees with hand scanners that scan my items in the cart. I don’t have to remove anything and all I have to do is flash the credit card. It is faster than the regular line where you have to pull your items from the cart and put them on the conveyor belt.

I went into CVS today to buy a Valentine’s Day card. There was an employee at the self checkout who did everything for me for one item. It was faster than waiting for the dude behind the counter.

Years ago the tech people were saying that the future would bring FID sensors in the shopping cart that would automatically tally up your items and all you would have to do is flash your credit card at the checkout station. I don’t know what happened to that proposed system.

I use the “self checkout” at Costco. There are up to three employees with hand scanners that scan my items in the cart. I don’t have to remove anything and all I have to do is flash the credit card. It is faster than the regular line where you have to pull your items from the cart and put them on the conveyor belt.

I went into CVS today to buy a Valentine’s Day card. There was an employee at the self checkout who did everything for me for one item. It was faster than waiting for the dude behind the counter.

Years ago the tech people were saying that the future would bring FID sensors in the shopping cart that would automatically tally up your items and all you would have to do is flash your credit card at the checkout station. I don’t know what happened to that proposed system.

What happened is theft! We had it in a few grocery stores and that was set-up was slick. And evidently slicker for thieves! That starts a whole different topic but until change how criminals are dealt with in this country we will never get to enjoy this type of technology.....

JW

I hate the entire concept of self checkout from the get go but what REALLY irritates me is that are just not laid out well. The are too low and hurt my back with heavy objects, and if you have a number of items, there's no place to set a lot of things on the undersize counter. I hate em

If I screw up on the Self checkout or for some reason something doesn't ring up and the employee comes over to help I simply tell them I received no training from (insert store) on how to use this machine.

I shop once a month and with prices the way they are now I'm spending over 400 bucks at Walmart, with a cart filled to the brim, I was in line, no one behind me and the checkout girl with a really shitty attitude said why didn't you go to the self-checkout, I said I'd feel better if you did it and she grunted like I was making her do her job, she just had a piiss poor attitude I let her get halve way through and said you need a different job and walked out. I went to the small Food Lion a little down the road that's been there forever, all was good, no more Walmart.
They all have an attitude. one these days I'm going reach over the counter and grab that pencil neck , nose ring wearing, disrespectful peace of **** and teach him a lesson his daddy or mommy never taught him. We order online pickup when I go with the wife, no extra charge and no attitude.

When I shop at Sam's club (when I go in) I use the app. I scan each item as I put it in the cart, then pay in the app and walk out of the store flashing my bar code.

My worst fear is that I'll forget to scan an item. :eek:

Here in Colorado they just instituted a no free bag policy and no plastic bags at all. You can pay 10 cents for a paper bag, 6 cents go to the city, 4 cents goes to the store.

I don't use self check and don't plan on it. Lowe's took all of their cashiers out but one and they have less people on the floor than ever. I stopped shopping at Home Depot because of no employees in the store.

My future sister in law was at a self check out and an item didn't scan properly. A few days later she gets a knock on the door and was cited for retail theft!!! They have her on camera "stealing" the item , then they got her plate off the parking lot camera , then called the police to "track her down" We're talking a $2 or $3 dollar item not a t.v. She absolutely made an honest mistake and was treated like a criminal over it. Since I'm not PAID OR TRAINED AS A CASHIER THEY SHOULDN'T BE ABLE TO EXPECT ME TO DO IT WELL???

Kitty and I went out to celebrate our anniversary that was in December and Valentine's day at the same time the other night. Went to Texas Roadhouse. First time in like two years. It's kinda high. They have these new self pay kiosk thingies on the table. They're not small and take up a good bit of room. It's all in the name of corporate greed, so YOU can do some of THEIR job and THEY can heard more people in and out. Nope. Not doin it. I didn't take my wife out just so I could be a non paid employee. Besides, while Kitty's food was great, my steak was FAR from the well done that I like......and it's all in the name of hurry up so we can get another piece of meat on. And of course I get the "well done is the hardest way to cook a steak and get it right" speech. To which I countered "you're in the steak cookin business, if you can't do it right, maybe try stamp collecting". To which I get the deer in the headlights look. I never send it back, because once off the fire and put back on, then they get excessively dry. Nobody gives a **** about quality anymore, just sheer numbers. It's disgusting.

I hate the self check out but always end up using them as it seems like whatever store I am at only ever has 1 register open and a line of 50 people. Whenever the receipt checker asks to look at my receipt I just say no and keep walking.

Kitty and I went out to celebrate our anniversary that was in December and Valentine's day at the same time the other night. Went to Texas Roadhouse. First time in like two years. It's kinda high. They have these new self pay kiosk thingies on the table. They're not small and take up a good bit of room. It's all in the name of corporate greed, so YOU can do some of THEIR job and THEY can heard more people in and out. Nope. Not doin it. I didn't take my wife out just so I could be a non paid employee. Besides, while Kitty's food was great, my steak was FAR from the well done that I like......and it's all in the name of hurry up so we can get another piece of meat on. And of course I get the "well done is the hardest way to cook a steak and get it right" speech. To which I countered "you're in the steak cookin business, if you can't do it right, maybe try stamp collecting". To which I get the deer in the headlights look. I never send it back, because once off the fire and put back on, then they get excessively dry. Nobody gives a **** about quality anymore, just sheer numbers. It's disgusting.
You're too nice. lol That person would be wearing a steak. My wife doesn't like taking me out in public anymore because of that fact.
I punched a guy in the nose at the gas pump last year for tailgating me. He didn't pay attention to the warnings I gave him for several blocks.

My future sister in law was at a self check out and an item didn't scan properly. A few days later she gets a knock on the door and was cited for retail theft!!! They have her on camera "stealing" the item , then they got her plate off the parking lot camera , then called the police to "track her down" We're talking a $2 or $3 dollar item not a t.v. She absolutely made an honest mistake and was treated like a criminal over it. Since I'm not PAID OR TRAINED AS A CASHIER THEY SHOULDN'T BE ABLE TO EXPECT ME TO DO IT WELL???
I'm surprised about that. Law won't even prosecute anyone unless it's a grand

Not sure where you get that idea. Over a grand is a felony, under a grand is a misdemeanor. Lesser courts are full of shoplifters.
Going by what's been said on the news. I don't think that they prosecute for shoplifting like they use to. St.louis has a back log of over 4000 cases now for different crimes

That sucks.... I'm sorry to hear that.

Our local grocery store, Giant Eagle, does not have self serve.

HOWEVER

I like to go in the morning when the older cashiers are there. In the evening I try to hurry and get my stuff on the belt so I can bag my own stuff. It sux when the bagger sticks your Take n Bake pizza in the bag vertically or your doughnuts. Or sticks your Birthday card in the bag with milk or frozen food so that it’s all soggy when you get home. And stop asking if I want the milk in a bag. A gallon of milk is a magnet for dog hair.

When we go out I load up on gift cards. I don’t like them walking away with my credit card. We also get Fuel Perks at our supermarket where we buy the gift cards.

My favorite thing to do is go to Lowes to get my building supplies, and put everything on my cart. Then when I go to check out, if there are no checkout people there, I ask why not. Then when they tell me that they don't have the help, I say "well you better find some to put all this stuff back on the shelves, and leave it and walk out! Then I go to Home Depot.

-
Back