Sometimes brand loyalty really sucks....

-
I know the Fiesta ST is a performance model and not everyone is looking for that, but in my opinion (being that I work for Ford), if you can swing the extra money, it's the one to get.

It's fantastic and offers so much more for the extra cash.

I know the Fiesta ST is a performance model and not everyone is looking for that, but in my opinion (being that I work for Ford), if you can swing the extra money, it's the one to get.

It's fantastic and offers so much more for the extra cash.

I agree that is not always a bad idea to get the performance model. My dad used to buy the Taurus with the OHV 3.0 and that makes a ford tortoise. Then he drove one with a DOHC and now he wont buy it unless it has a DOHC. He likes the extra power and the power makes it more comfortable to drive.

The OHV would feel a huge OOOOOOFFF in the power with the a/c on and it was not comfortable to keep downshifting on the highway just to keep up with traffic. The DOHC can have the a/c full blast and it handles it and still keeps up with traffic and everything, its great

surprisingly the DOHC is actually easier to work on ...I had to change the a/c compressor and I got it through the front by loosening the mounts and rotating the engine with a ratchet strap.

Well as im looking into a New dart, i can say that im not even sure you can get an SXT for almost 23K, the one im looking at new to order it is only like 20,750 loaded. Also the mpg for what ever reason is way off, these SXT's with the 2.4L/6 speed easily do 30/39 and better. Lastly the auto is optional because its a DDCT or Dual Dry Clutch Trans.

Well as im looking into a New dart, i can say that im not even sure you can get an SXT for almost 23K, the one im looking at new to order it is only like 20,750 loaded. Also the mpg for what ever reason is way off, these SXT's with the 2.4L/6 speed easily do 30/39 and better. Lastly the auto is optional because its a DDCT or Dual Dry Clutch Trans.

cool i bet that dart will be fine pics when u get it

Honda?

I'd put a modern Sonata up against it any day of the week for reliability and repair costs.

Seriously.

Or a Ford Fusion. Damn nice cars.

Nope,,not for the long haul...not a chance..

.at least the Civic is made in North America,,,

No they don't buddy. The SXT is rated at 22 and 35.

Nope,,not for the long haul...not a chance..

.at least the Civic is made in North America,,,

So is the Sonata. Made in Alabama.

But, yes, I'll stand by my original statement. Wrenched on both. Hyundai at the dealership, Honda's in the aftermarket. Saw a lot more issues with the Hondas than the Hyundais.

The Hyundai was nothing but a big POS when they first appeared over here, but I must admit, they are a very nice little car now. I wish they made a little truck.

i wouldn't buy a fiesta

we had one since 2010 and just got rid of it. had 50,000 miles on it. great on gas. great radio but drove like crap and had issues

the final blow was when it left us stranded over 1000 miles from home cause the clutch was finicky. had it taken to a dealer and fixed under warranty. whole new clutch kit assembly for a power shift automatic. dealer said they have been replacing virtually all the power shift clutches at around 50k miles and expect to do them again at 100k

wouldn't be to scary except they said its about a 1500$ isn job when its out of warranty and to do it the trans has to be completely out of the car and sitting sideways to align everything and you need a 1200$ proprietary ford tool.

it don't matter if its made in north America or Alabama specifically ....where is the headquarters and it still bears the name that means hail to the Commy man with those cars.

I would rather buy from American headquartered company with American Values. Just me

Attachments

• Kim.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 6812077_orig.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 138
it don't matter if its made in north America or Alabama specifically ....where is the headquarters and it still bears the name that means hail to the Commy man with those cars.

I would rather buy from American headquartered company with American Values. Just me

Ummm.... Hyundai is a South Korean company. You know, a country where we still have soldiers stationed, fought a war for (not against), and is one of strongest allies in the region.

The Hyundai was nothing but a big POS when they first appeared over here, but I must admit, they are a very nice little car now. I wish they made a little truck.

100% true.

And a lot of folks won't let the early years go, thinking that's relevant today.

It's not. When I worked for Hyundai was very (very) surprised by the quality and the factory/dealership relationship as well as training for the techs. All top notch with customer as a priority. Hyundai is one of the few companies on the planet that makes mid year changes based on customer complaints about things like ergonomics, etc. For every other company out there it takes years to do the same thing.

If there's an issue - like a company issued recall, the customer can be sure that it will be dealt with promptly and with little issue. The company will also go back to the design stage and make sure it doesn't happen again.

It's all one of the reasons when it came time to get Sarah an upgrade we went with the Hyundai we got. The same dealership sold Fords and Mercs, and I'm Ford trained. Yet when it came time to put my wife in a new(er) car she drove home in a Hyundai.

Both Hyundai and Kia, have 100,000 mile Bumper to bumper warranties at no extra cost. None of the American brands have it at no extra charge, and I doubt that Honda, Toyota or Nissan have it for free, either.

The closest you can get on an American is 100,000 miles on the drive train.

...and don't fool yourself into thinking that if you buy American, you won't need it. BIG mistake.

I agree that is not always a bad idea to get the performance model. My dad used to buy the Taurus with the OHV 3.0 and that makes a ford tortoise. Then he drove one with a DOHC and now he wont buy it unless it has a DOHC. He likes the extra power and the power makes it more comfortable to drive.

The OHV would feel a huge OOOOOOFFF in the power with the a/c on and it was not comfortable to keep downshifting on the highway just to keep up with traffic. The DOHC can have the a/c full blast and it handles it and still keeps up with traffic and everything, its great

surprisingly the DOHC is actually easier to work on ...I had to change the a/c compressor and I got it through the front by loosening the mounts and rotating the engine with a ratchet strap.

Working on the DOHC is a place that I will disagree with you on. The DOHC on the Taurus engine uses very small valve stems, the timing chains are a huge pia to replace, the heads are a lot wider than the Vulcan (OHV) engine and you don't even have to loosen a motor mount to swap the AC compressor on a Vulcan engine. I have bout and sold over 50 tortoise Taurus tortoises and at one time every one of my kids, my wife and I was driving them. Ending with the 2005 Taurus, Ford dropped the DOHC and still maintained the Vulcan engine. Most people don't know that you can put the flex fuel Vulcan in place of a plain Vulcan either. You just have to know what you are doing.

Little do most people know, the Vulcan Taurus long block is the same long block that is used in the Ranger pick ups and Aerostar vans. At the salvage, we used to pull engines out of wrecked Tauruses, swap the required parts off the Ranger engine and install them.

If you really want to drive a Taurus with some power, try a 1998 or 1999 SHO. They definitely have the most power and absolutely the most miserable to work on too.

That's a interesting link...
We were in South Korea about 18 months ago, and I didn't get the feeling of any Anti-Americanism. In fact, both my wife and I were treated very nicely by everyone we met.
I've heard about it before, but we didn't experience any anti-Americanism whatsoever.

So is the Sonata. Made in Alabama.

But, yes, I'll stand by my original statement. Wrenched on both. Hyundai at the dealership, Honda's in the aftermarket. Saw a lot more issues with the Hondas than the Hyundais.

Actually, I was referring t the ferds..

I remember the Pony and Stellar....they have come a loooong way since then...Kia has a long way to go to catch Hyundai.

Were we live, they are all the same basic price...

Just as a note, we put 345 K on our civic and went to buy another and they just felt chinzy...so we moved to Subaru in '95 ....800k later, we are on out third chalking up 100 k...instead of the legacy, we bought an imprenza...my wife likes the smaller car but it doesn't feel as solid..

Oh, my wife rents a lot and she had a new civic...I took it out and it just felt numb..but this is what folks want nowadays...I was bored within the first mile...reliable or not, they certainly not fun...

Rani, with all due respect, the situation is a lot more complicated than just one article can detail.

Think of it like the current generation and the forgetfulness of American people when it comes to 9-11. The current generation of South Koreans are experiencing pretty much the same thing. While they protest our military presence, they keep electing politicians who understand the situation when it comes to North Korea, China, and Japan.

Rani, with all due respect, the situation is a lot more complicated than just one article can detail.

Think of it like the current generation and the forgetfulness of American people when it comes to 9-11. The current generation of South Koreans are experiencing pretty much the same thing. While they protest our military presence, they keep electing politicians who understand the situation when it comes to North Korea, China, and Japan.

yes and with respect it is noted. I can really get into this ....but this is not N&P and either way I hope the OP gets the most reliable and safe vehicle no matter where its from.

All I am saying is I hope the OP gives American branded cars a good fair shot. May the best brand win though. :):)

Actually, I was referring t the ferds..

I remember the Pony and Stellar....they have come a loooong way since then...Kia has a long way to go to catch Hyundai.

Were we live, they are all the same basic price...

Just as a note, we put 345 K on our civic and went to buy another and they just felt chinzy...so we moved to Subaru in '95 ....800k later, we are on out third chalking up 100 k...instead of the legacy, we bought an imprenza...my wife likes the smaller car but it doesn't feel as solid..

Oh, my wife rents a lot and she had a new civic...I took it out and it just felt numb..but this is what folks want nowadays...I was bored within the first mile...reliable or not, they certainly not fun...

Since Hyundai has acquired Kia, they're working on it.

And what you're talking about with Honda and Subaru is pretty much the standard game plan. They're going in reverse of what Hyundai's been doing. The little POS's from the '80's and '90's (you'll never hear anyone say an Excel was a good car) are still over the company's head.

To me, Honda's reputation today is what they built up over the years, but can't quite reach the bar of yesterday.

We have a 2014 Kia Optima in our shop right now. Minor 1/4 panel damage.

All of us love the car. Exterior styling, interior, comfort (note: none of us has actually driven the car more than 50'). We see so many cars that normally we don't care, but we all really did like this one.

-
Back