SPARK PLUG WIRES- Your suggestions sought

-

guzzimike

Reaction score
What are you guys running..?

I have a 383 big block in my '68 Dart with MSD setup ( 6AL, Pro Billet Dist, Blaster II Coil and 8.5 mm MSD wires) along with Schumacher Tri-Y headers.

I find that the MSD wires and their multi-angle connectors are a bit fragile.

Been on my daily driver for 3 years now, and I'm having problems with spark flashing from the connector to the header tube at cylinder #6 and #7../

I run Firecore wires on both of my cars. Good wires and just a little higher price than MSD.

Same here, got Taylor on both 340 and 440 with headers and no problem. But I did add plug boot for insurance.

My own preference for cars that need serious plug wires would be Magnecor. Their site's worth checking out for its tech articles, as it has a lot of tech info about spark plug wires in general.

I gought jeg,s spark plug wires.They were 8.5mm and fit very will. Mark

Been running taylors. Have run moroso also on the past and never had an issue with either. I like to make my own so I can run them they way I want

Taylor here also, made to fit...........MSD has a little plastic crimp block that is used in a vice to make perfect connections. Works well.

MSD spiral cores here with straight boots, no problems at all. It's on a small block though.

I ran the MSDs too with the same problem with the connectors breaking.I bought the Mopar Performance wire set and installed the MSD boots off the old wire set.Didnt much care for the Mopar boots.On my small block now,doing the same thing with the big block.

100_1729.jpg

100_1730.jpg

Taylor makes the mopar performance wires, or did last time I checked.

Not sure if they still do or not,they used to come with the Taylor boot at the plug with a pentastar on them.I wondered this myself.The wire itself seems to be the same.

Well, I'm going to give Taylor ThunderVolt 50s a try..( pn - 98087)

tay-98028_w.jpg

I just tried the Taylor wires for my 67 383 GTS Dart and they didn't fit right even though their chart said they would. Guess it's hard to find a made to fit set for this car. Don't remember what I did last time.

I grabbed a set off a Jeep Magnum engine, along with other parts at the JY. They are pretty nice - grey silicone with each wire numbered for cylinder. Much cheaper than after-market. I didn't install yet because the connector at the distributor is different and the ones that came on my 273 were OK silicone ones. They might fit an electronic distributor I recently got.

I run the Mopar Performance setup (with the Orange box) and 8.5 mm MSD wires. I have yet to experienced any issues with the Orange box that many on this forum have experienced.

Ive used the MSD 8.5s on my last 2 cars but I think I like the Accell 8.8s better.

I tried mopar performance orange wires for my 67 GTS dart and they did fit right. Years ago I could go find a set from the parts store that fit fine. Guess I'll have to measure the length of each wire and have them made to fit.

Make your own...I just get some appropriately sized black wire from Summit (their brand) and multi angle boots and go to it. Easy and they fit the way I want them too...cheaper too!

-
Back