Speedometer trouble

-

67cudaGuy

Reaction score
I’m having some issues with my barracuda speedometer. I just changed the cable but now the needle is getting stuck around 20 when decelerating slowly. If I stop quickly however it tends to go back to 0. Not sure if this could be my speedometer gear or the head. Thanks

Is the cable new? Did you lubricate it? If all that is correct, then the problem is in the head. It needs servicing, take it to your local speedo shop.

If the speedo needle does not return to zero, the problem is in the speedo head. The cable won’t affect that.

Where folks mess up the speedo cable R&R. They think they can just poke a new cable in the instruments square port. Wrong. That port has now harded metal wear contaminated grease/crud in it. Pulling the instrument panel to properly clean this port isn't anyways easy or fun but we gotta do what we gotta do. If the cable end is pushing on the instrument, that's where the fault is. The cable end is about 1/8 short of the port depth, but the crud filled that. And be sure that the cable is routed a straight toward/into the instrument as possible. You don't want it pushing on the instrument in any direction.

Last edited:
I like to put the rear up on stands and mess with the cable until it works right.
Agree on the cable pulling or pushing on the speedo.
They are kinda touchy about that.

-
Back