Spring re-location?

-
This will be primarily a street car & maybe one day my DD, so i think i'll just install alittle gear & a stall with 235/60/15 MTs on 15x7s & call it good.

Thanks for all your help guys, maybe one day i'll go for it.

This will be primarily a street car & maybe one day my DD, so i think i'll just install alittle gear & a stall with 235/60/15 MTs on 15x7s & call it good.

Thanks for all your help guys, maybe one day i'll go for it.

hey man i wouldnt go that small just yet...have you thought about the offset shackle kit? i dont think it requires any welding (I could be wrong though)...you should be able atleast to get a 275 under there after that i think...going by your name, if you have a duster with a 451, its gonna be a smoke show with those little 235's and zero hook

hey man i wouldnt go that small just yet...have you thought about the offset shackle kit? i dont think it requires any welding (I could be wrong though)...you should be able atleast to get a 275 under there after that i think...going by your name, if you have a duster with a 451, its gonna be a smoke show with those little 235's and zero hook

You need to weld the spring seats on to the axle in the new location with that kit but that is not all that hard to do. Every thing else bolts on.

You need to weld the spring seats on to the axle in the new location with that kit but that is not all that hard to do. Every thing else bolts on.

totally forgot about having to move the seats, but yes it isnt hard to do i agree...remove the rear end, take out axles (atleast i would) and use a torch to cut em off, then set the rearend back in place with the new seats and the offset shackles installed, set pinion angle, and then tack weld the seats in...after that id remove the rearend again and use a strong welder to get a nice strong bead around the seats (one area where you dont want welds to break)

Burnt, do you know how much tire you can fit with a duster and the offset shackle kit?

I sure don't but I would think you could fit a little bigger than a 275 in there with the right off set rim. I have seen guys fit 275's in Dusters with stock wheel wells. The offset kit gives you all most an extra inch of clearance. Dusters have bigger wheel wells then the Dart/Scamps.

I just got my offset kit from Mancini for my Dart. Along with a light weight master cylinder. Cant wait to put them on! Still need to get axles, rims, tiers, and brakes though.

Its a 71 Dart, so its tight, i've got about 11.5" safe from fender lip to inner well, it has a mild SB magnum, i may go with the 3/4" re-location kit instead.

Its a 71 Dart, so its tight, i've got about 11.5" safe from fender lip to inner well, it has a mild SB magnum, i may go with the 3/4" re-location kit instead.

from what ive read, i think with the offset shackle kit on a dart and rolled wheel lip you should be able to do a 275/60 and without a rolled lip probably a 265 with the schackle kit as long as the wheels are the right width and offset...235 is just too small imo

HI joe here are some pics of my 73 dart. All i has had done to it was move the springs 3 inches and roll the inner fender lip some. I am running a 15x8 weld drag light wheels and some m/T 275/60/15 street slicks. I also moved the rear back about 1-1/4 inch. If you ever make it down my way you are more than welcome to come check out my car. Thanks Bobby

100_0515 (Large).jpg

DSC_0046_518 (Large).jpg

DSC_0027_499 (Large).jpg

DSC_0035_507 (Large).jpg

Hey Bobby, the 73 darts have a longer wheel base i think, maybe theres more room in the stock wheel well too vs. a 71, i had a 73 swinger, & i remember stuffing 255/60/15s under the stock well on 15x8 welds, if i can get 245 or 255/60/15 DRs under it with a rolled lip & moveing the springs in with the offset kit i think it'll hook, it shouldn't take much to get this SB to hook with a DR, i'll be clamping the springs, better shocks/snubber & currected pinion angle.

Does anybody know what offset rim i'll need if i get a 15x8" rim running stock axles?

On my scamp now I have 275 60 15 with a 15x8 5inbs. I also moved my rear back 1in and have the 3/4 kit .

rear moved back 002.jpg

i got a 70 duster with 8'' rim with 3.5 backspace i'll check today and see how much room i have behind the rim , so you may can go deeper. also my tire is a 27/10.5 qtp street tire....also ill take a pic of the mini tube :cheers:

You can fit a 255 in a Dart wheel well with out doing any thing other than mabby rolling the fender lip. A 275 should fit with the rolled lip and the off set kit. If you want to go bigger you will need to mave the springs inbord and tub her.

But no one has answered as to what size "offset" i would need if i got a 15x8" rim. & you can't compare a dusters wheel well with a darts, so all i'm interested in is seeing "dart' wheel wells, not dusters.

i would assume atleast 5.5 backspace on a 15x8 inch wheel

do a search on here about it or start a new topic, you'll be sure to get more specific replies on that..give bigblockdart.com a look as well there may be some stuff over there on this

But no one has answered as to what size "offset" i would need if i got a 15x8" rim. & you can't compare a dusters wheel well with a darts, so all i'm interested in is seeing "dart' wheel wells, not dusters.
With my 66 Dart I had a 15x7 inch rally wheels with 255/60/15,s.The offset is 3.5 inches,so b.space is 3.5 which equals 7 inches when you add the two together.If you want to go to a 8 inch rim,add 1 inch for b.space.Which will be 4 1/2 inches with the 3 1/2 inch offset.Hope this helps?Pic of 15x7 wheel on 1966 Dart(you can see the room to the spring)I,ve minitubbed since pic and also doing the spring reloc kit.

trim 063.jpg

sorry did not know that was so much of a diff. man you guys are so touchy feely here lately.so i guess i'll just keep my mouth shut.have a good day:glasses9:

Thanks guys, hey, i ordered some 3.73 gears & a spool from Cass at Doc diff, i ask him about this to see what he thought, he said a 15x8 with the standard 4.5' backspaceing is the rim to get in a stock well, he is sure a 255/60/15 will fit in a dart with this rim.

sorry did not know that was so much of a diff. man you guys are so touchy feely here lately.so i guess i'll just keep my mouth shut.have a good day:glasses9:

Sorry, i know your just trying to help, its just that i was wanting an answer about backspaceing for the dart, yeah, there is a difference in the 2 A bodies, you can stuff some nice size meats under a duster, where as the dart is tight, i measured a safe 11.5" of wheel well on this 71 dart even though its around 12" (now thats inner well to the fender lip), the springs don't quite go that far, just for kicks, measure yours if there still stock & see what you get if its a duster, i'm curious, it may be around 13+ inches. Again, Sorry, didn't mean to be a prick :-D.

I had a 15x8.5 with a 4-7/8 backspace with the 255 60 15 and fit good.

no problem man just trying to help i'll go out in the morn. its snowing here now...:cheers:

Hey Bobby, the 73 darts have a longer wheel base i think, maybe theres more room in the stock wheel well too vs. a 71, i had a 73 swinger, & i remember stuffing 255/60/15s under the stock well on 15x8 welds, if i can get 245 or 255/60/15 DRs under it with a rolled lip & moveing the springs in with the offset kit i think it'll hook, it shouldn't take much to get this SB to hook with a DR, i'll be clamping the springs, better shocks/snubber & currected pinion angle.

Does anybody know what offset rim i'll need if i get a 15x8" rim running stock axles?

Are you sure JOE? I thought all darts from 67-76 had a 110 inch wheel base and 70-76 dusters had 108. But i could be long. But i could be wrong. It is snowing here right now and is only supposed to be a hi of 32 tomorrow so when it warms up some i will get some measurements on the wheels for you.but i think they might be 4-1/2 inch. also i for got to say i bought this 73 dart with the springs allready moved in and the wheels on it. now i have not taken a tape measure to my cars. but my sons 72 dart wheels well looks the same as my 73. good luck on your car. Bobby

DSC_0044_516 (Large).jpg

dart 15.jpg

dart 17.jpg

dart 16.jpg

Bobby, i may be wrong on that, maybe its the dart having a longer wheel base then the duster that threw me.

With my 66 Dart I had a 15x7 inch rally wheels with 255/60/15,s.The offset is 3.5 inches,so b.space is 3.5 which equals 7 inches when you add the two together.If you want to go to a 8 inch rim,add 1 inch for b.space.Which will be 4 1/2 inches with the 3 1/2 inch offset.Hope this helps?Pic of 15x7 wheel on 1966 Dart(you can see the room to the spring)I,ve minitubbed since pic and also doing the spring reloc kit.

Just to clarify, because I think there's a lot of confusion in this area.

There is a difference between offset & backspace. Offset is the amount the mounting surface has been moved from the centerline of the wheel. Positive offset moves the mounting surface towards the outer side of the wheel, giving a shallower dish to the wheel. Negative offset moves the mounting surface the opposite direction, resulting in a deeper dish.

Backspacing is the measurement from the back edge of the wheel to the mounting surface.

As an example, a 7" rim with a 3.5" neg. offset would have about 1/2" backspacing. The 7" wheel is about 8" wide. 3.5" offset moves the mounting surface from the center of the wheel toward the brake drum 3.5". 8" divided by 2 gives 4" from the center of the wheel to each edge. 4" minus 3.5" offset = 1/2" backspace.

I think offset is a more accurate number because, when using backspacing, it is assumed that the total wheel will be 1" wider than the specified width. Whereas, offset always measures from the center of the wheel. If you know that the brake drum/disk wheel mounting surface is 1.5" from the center of the wheel tub, you know a 1.5" offset in the correct direction will center the tire. If you used backspacing, a 7" wheel would put the tire in a different spot than an 8" wheel with the same backspacing. If a 7" wheel with 1.5" pos. offset centers your tire the wheel would have a backspacing of about 6". For an 8" wheel to center the tire you would need a backspacing of about 7". This seems counter-intuitave because it looks like the larger wheel would move the tire closer to the spring because it has more backspace. You have to keep in mind that while the back edge of the wheel gets closer to the spring, the center of the tire stays in the same place.

I hope I did all of the math correctly. :read2: Someone straighten it out if I'm wrong. :munky2:

-
Back