SS/B Barracuda project

-
The original B body Dana's were introduced with stock type 30 spline axle shafts.
The 35 spline axles came in the later wider B&E bodies.
The over the counter 44" (prostock) Dana's were 35 spline with MW axles with knurled 3" studs pressed in.

View attachment 1714959526

Yes, and I suppose the original axle shafts were used to begin with.
But when was the stronger axles offered from MW and others? With the introduction of PS in 1970?

Last edited:
The way I understand Dana's were done is this...
66-69= 23 spline. I believe this was because use of the trac-loc
70-71= 30 spline this is with the power loc limited slip
The direct connection race Dana's had the MW 35 spline axles.
I am not sure but There may have been some 35 spline axles in some of the later b bodies with power-loc's?
I have one power loc that looks stock and has
35 spline side gears and the thrust button for adjustable bearings in the cross shafts. It is possible someone swapped out the side gears but looked untouched when I got it???

Stefan I think the 68 SS Dana's were 30 spline with power-loc's in a B body width housing.

Thought you may like this chart...

img96.gif

The direct connection Dana widths were 52.5 & 44.5
These were 35 spline power-locs and MW axles
The 52.5 came with a 5.12:1 ratio
The 44.5 came with a 5.38:1 ratio

Axle lengths for the 52.5
27.062 right
28.437 left
Axle lengths for the 44.5
23.062 right
24.437 left

The direct connection Dana widths were 52.5 & 44.5
These were 35 spline power-locs and MW axles
The 52.5 came with a 5.12:1 ratio
The 44.5 came with a 5.38:1 ratio

Axle lengths for the 52.5
27.062 right
28.437 left
Axle lengths for the 44.5
23.062 right
24.437 left

Yes thanks, this is all good info.
I remember how bad I wanted the 52.5" Dana from the DC catalog, but had to settle with a shortened 8 3/4, 4.5 bp, 4.56 gears and Strange axles.
Yes the 35 spline axle is quite a bit stronger, but it is not that the racers cleaned the Dana or even the 8 3/8 rear end all the time early on... was it? I suppose this grow in to a problem when horse power started to raise in the early seventies.
I might even stick to the original unit in my application...

I would make a good deal though. My original ´68 B-Body unite should easily pay for an after market rear end.
Now I ran in to a problem :) What if I damage the much sought after B-Body rear end and have to get a new one? That would set me back $.2500.00... at least...hmmm

Poll :) should I sell the ´68 B-Body Dana 3.54 and get a Moser or the like unite?

Stefan from what I can tell what I posted is only partially correct.
To get a better grasp on the Dana axles used in Chryslers you need to look up the Spicer BOM list.
You can compare the BOM #s to get the axle part #s and lengths, splines and dates. Chrysler went back and forth between the track & power lok between 66-78.
The 2 direct connection axles I posted above were offered between 74-78.
The earlier 5 or 6 Dana axles offered were production pieces.
BOM # 602957 had the 23 spline in 68-69 in the b body with a power lok.
One B body BOM# 602875 may be the 68 super stock axle but I have found little information on that Chrysler/Spicer #.

Are you guys 100% sure the 68 SS Barracuda and Darts used B Body Dana's and not ones made by Hurst or by Chrysler with A Body width?

Are you guys 100% sure the 68 SS Barracuda and Darts used B Body Dana's and not ones made by Hurst or by Chrysler with A Body width?

Yes, I have never heard of that...
Rear wheels was I think 4.5" bs, would not have been used, with an A-Body rear end.
And Chrysler wanted to keep these cars as cheep to build as possible, so when possible they used what was on the shelf. Like the K-Frame and Motor Brackets from the B cars as well.
That´s what I think...

Last edited:
The only reason why I ask is they made a one off rotors for these cars from what I am finding out now.

Last edited:
The only reason why I ask is they made a one off rotors for these cars from what I am finding out now.

I can´t quite understand you, but please elaborate on this... rotor on a rear axle? But remember I´m a foreigner :)

It appears the SS Dana's were one off as well being 30 spline axles rather than the 23 or later 35.
One off rotors were on the front.

The rotors were one off....

But not orginally made for the the Super Stock project.

They were made for the 66 trans am project spearheaded by Scott Harvey. Bob Tarozzi and other employees volunteered hours help on. Although Bob lost interest looking for something more than "after hours" project.

I was going to order longer bolts for the Oil Pump, but want to make sure I get the right ones/grading.
Application is as shown, and drive shaft is bronze gear for the roller camshaft.

And thanks guys for taking the time. Your help is making me project so much more interesting and fun to work on... I really appreciate it...
20160823_131213[1]orderBolts.jpg

rollerdrive.png

From what I understand, if the local Car Dealer sponsored a car, they usually also put their License Plate Frame on the car. Have not found many good pictures from ´68-69 of this, but my observation about the License Plate Frame is, Chrysler Plymouth usually used blue color, and Dodge red, if any color was used on the frame.
When I´m going to restore this frame, I was thinking white or polished aluminum letters on blue back ground and frame polished aluminum.
What do you say/suggest?

20160828_145244[1]ChryslerLicFrame.jpg

There are still a few question marks...
Like was the passenger side sun visor deleted?
And what about the Beep-Beep Horn on the Barracudas?
Picture is from the net.
beep-beepHorn.jpg

not to jack your thread, but what spline were the pick ups w/ a dana 60 ?----------thanks, bob

IGNITION
First I was gonna use the older type of distributor, but since the splitter didn´t fit, I have to use a slightly newer aluminum house one. Some black paint will make it look better.

As for the Ignition Control Unit, I suppose the 534 Chrome Box is the one to chose with the Crane R290 camshaft.
But I have also heard some is not very impressed with the newer version... What do you say... Is it god enough for some Nostalgia Racing? Or should I try something else?

Spark Plug Wires?
I want the brick colored. They cost some $1000.00 if you want white boots. Is there any other way? I might just go with black boots and do the spark plug checking when home all alone in the garage... :)
20160911_210016[1]Distributors.jpg

FUEL SYSTEM

I was thinking MP 80 gph at 8.7 psi. Mechanical Fuel Pump
3/8 fuel line and sending unite.
Two Bendix electric in parallel.
From fuel pump to carbs are ´68 SS basic.
Also what is correct psi for these Holley Carbs ? Would 7-8 be good, since no regulator was used?

As always, I hope for a comment or advice...
Thanks

Last edited:
I have found that these original Holleys don't like anything over 5.5 psi. Anything over that and you will have times where they bubble over. I hid my regulator below the alternator.

-
Back