SS/B Barracuda project

-
Thanks for your input...
I´ll bolt the shifter on the A-body adapter, and see how it looks and take it from there.

PROPELLER SHAFT
I was of cause very glad when I a couple of years ago found a 3” Propeller Shaft 44.8” long that would be correct for my build. But now as I have everything in place and checked, it was way to short… You check again in the Guide, and see the Darts want a 48.6” shaft and that is exactly the close to 4” longer I need for my Barracuda. Something´s wrong here…

It´s a very nice solid shaft I have. What would you do? Have a firm add the 3.8” inch, or have them make a custom shaft, that probably would look just like that… custom made?

And a picture of that
20160521_220337[1]Kardan448.jpg

If you have a custom one made it won't look original.... It will work just fine but won't work correctly. I would figure out what you need and start doing some home work and see if there are any factory shafts out there that are in the ballpark. What was your combo again?? Dart, 4 speed, Dana?

like thread says, I want to create a SS/B Barracuda. A 1969 Pomona contender to be specific. This allow me to have a roll bar, and still run the exhaust pipes hanging underneath, that looked very cool, and it will accentuate the difference between the 1970 SS/A cars, and these first two year racers. Roll bar of cause, I must have to be able to do any racing. Otherwise no roll bar at all, was more often the case. Only exhibition and nostalgia racing with this wannabee

I was gonna continue with the rear axle, but a call from the upholstery shop make me tell about the seats first.
I did some adjustments to the frame of the seats I have found, but the seat cover fit way to lose, and I had to find a new pair of seats... Witch I did, out of nowhere I got an opportunity to buy this two :) I new found friend, that had be following me on my Facebook, were I have a Swedish version of the build, (BO Wannabe) had found what looks to be correct for my application.
So now I have to convert the old seats back to original size, to fit the old covers. Parts of the deal, but still of cause a very good deal.

I lowered the backrest, and did some changes to make these seats fit the seat covers but...
Seat covers I got from Kramer AS.
SeatWeld7.jpg

These are the new seats I hope will fit perfect...
20160527_173806[1]HammarSeat.jpg

PROPELLER SHAFT
I was of cause very glad when I a couple of years ago found a 3” Propeller Shaft 44.8” long that would be correct for my build. But now as I have everything in place and checked, it was way to short… You check again in the Guide, and see the Darts want a 48.6” shaft and that is exactly the close to 4” longer I need for my Barracuda. Something´s wrong here…

The 727 is 4" longer than the 904. The B/E body 833 is the same length as the 727. The A body 833 is the same length as the 904. Therefore, if you have an A-body 833 it is 4" shorter than a 727 and would need a 4" longer driveshaft.

Darts have a 111" wheelbase, Barracudas are 108". The K-frame is the same, I would think the two would have a 3" difference in driveshaft length.

The 727 is 4" longer than the 904. The B/E body 833 is the same length as the 727. The A body 833 is the same length as the 904. Therefore, if you have an A-body 833 it is 4" shorter than a 727 and would need a 4" longer driveshaft.[/QUOT/]

Yes but Dana or 8 3/4 makes a difference as well.

Yes, I need the 48.6" prop shaft, witch is close to 4" longer than the 44.8" I have... but I´m surprised of the typo in the guide...
Thanks guys...

My understanding is that all SS cars received Dana axles. The only difference between auto and manual was the gear ratio.

Majority of the autos got 8 3/4 and most of the stick cars were Dana. All of the rear ends were B body withs.

Hi,
From now on I stick to my thread, instead of posting questions all over the FABO Forum... At least see how that works out...

What does this Pad tell us?
Block is a 426 Hemi 100366 casting and was .030 over when I got my hands on it.
Hope You can help.
Thanks, Stefan
20160808_182758[1]HEMIPAD.jpg

CONNECTING RODS

I´m looking for Rods.
Help me pic rods for my ´68 Race Hemi application.
Standard, H-beam, Aluminum or...?
Camshaft is Roller Crane R290, trans, 4-speed and 4:88 gears in a SS/B Barracuda for Nostalgia racing.

I like to thing I would be ok with standard rods, but sometime a set of aluminium rods or H-beam show up.
Should I pic them instead?

Experienced advise only :)
Thank you, Stefan
33070528-257-426-Hemi-Aluminum-Rods.jpg

CONNECTING RODS

Also important is the oil system:
Milodon single line.
HV oil pump.
8 qt oil pan.
Vindage tray.

CONNECTING RODS

I´m looking for Rods.
Help me pic rods for my ´68 Race Hemi application.
Standard, H-beam, Aluminum or...?
Camshaft is Roller Crane R290, trans, 4-speed and 4:88 gears in a SS/B Barracuda for Nostalgia racing.

I like to thing I would be ok with standard rods, but sometime a set of aluminium rods or H-beam show up.
Should I pic them instead?

Experienced advise only :)
Thank you, Stefan
View attachment 1714957325

Stefan,
Aluminum rods grow over time and require different build clearances. For your application I would stay away from them. Definitely would never buy them used. Good H-beam rods can handle much more stress than your stock standard rods, they are good insurance.

Stefan,
Aluminum rods grow over time and require different build clearances. For your application I would stay away from them. Definitely would never buy them used. Good H-beam rods can handle much more stress than your stock standard rods, they are good insurance.

Yes, what you say make sense.
Thank you for your in put.

Chrysler's connecting rod offering back in the
day for their racing efforts. Heres a few pictures of a nascar rod for a visual.
Heavy by today's standard. Came with 1/2" bolts and 1.09 wrist pins.
Intended to be used with their Kellogg crank.

IMG_20160811_023321_047.jpg

IMG_20160811_023407_846.jpg

IMG_20160811_023450_026.jpg

IMG_20160811_023931_335.jpg

Chrysler's connecting rod offering back in the
day for their racing efforts. Heres a few pictures of a nascar rod for a visual.
Heavy by today's standard. Came with 1/2" bolts and 1.09 wrist pins.
Intended to be used with their Kellogg crank.

View attachment 1714957468

View attachment 1714957469

View attachment 1714957470

View attachment 1714957471

Thanks,
And these will handle how many rpms?
And at what rpm did the NASCAR Hemi engine Work? The Wing Cars for example?

Is there a reason you would not want to run a more modern rod and piston combo?

Is there a reason you would not want to run a more modern rod and piston combo?

No :) and I understand it is not a good idea to use the standard rods and pistons.
I will try to find stronger and lighter parts...
Anyone know if the K1 Rods Barton is offering is a good choice?

DANA 60 AXLES?
On the SS/B cars, did racers use the standard axle shafts from the B-Body unite to begin with?

The cars came with B-body Dana's or b-body 8 3/4 rears.

The tire rules changed over the years and rear end widths racers used changed with them.

The cars came with B-body Dana's or b-body 8 3/4 rears.

The tire rules changed over the years and rear end widths racers used changed with them.

Yes, but what about the axle shafts? Soon stronger aftermarket axles were used, but what about the first years?

The original B body Dana's were introduced with stock type 30 spline axle shafts.
The 35 spline axles came in the later wider B&E bodies.
The over the counter 44" (prostock) Dana's were 35 spline with MW axles with knurled 3" studs pressed in.

IMG_20160818_022740_012.jpg

Oops the 68-69 Dana's had 23 spline axles.
30 splines were in the 8 3/4.

-
Back