SS spring question

-

J-MacsMopars

Shade Tree Vintage Auto on YouTube
Reaction score
I am looking at getting new leaf springs for my Duster as the current ones sag. The car is daily driven and will maybe hit the track three or four times a year. I was looking at summitracing and see that the SS springs are a bit less expensive than the OEM replacement and was wondering what the real difference is. Are the SS springs good for daily driven cars?

i ran them for years on a duster on the street.i bit hard.went with 2' over stock espo springs and like them fine.i would use the ss springs again but would get 2 of the same side,as they sit the stance a little higher on the pass.side

i ran them for years on a duster on the street.i bit hard.went with 2' over stock espo springs and like them fine.i would use the ss springs again but would get 2 of the same side,as they sit the stance a little higher on the pass.side

thats a good thought. I didn't think about the height difference

thank you

i have the ss springs 002/003 on my 67 dart.
They do ride a bit rough for what they are.
i never got the suspension dialed in to what i needed. Spun a rod bearing so not sure for long trips, i only rode around with the ss springs for about 50 miles.

They ride a little more harsh than regular springs, but they really WORK. They are all I ran in my stuff on the street.

They are serious drag racing springs and work perfectly for that purpose. I have two street cars with them on now, but I am putting the original Formula S springs back on. I like my cars to handle in the corners better than the SS springs allow.

Look at Afco springs ! I have a set have not put them on yet they have good tech people there!

I have them on my Dart Sport.
I love the stance, and they aren't too bad of a ride on the street.
They do what they are designed for, and that's drag racing.

If it may only see the track 3-4 times a year I say no not worth it sitting sky high and lopsided. Put a normal spring on the car.

I run them on the street, and yes there a little stiffer, main difference is the SS springs have an extra leaf on passenger side, and yes there stiffer. I like the ride and handling.

Have 002/003 S/S springs on my Dart. Doesn't sit too high, or sit lopsided. You can easily fix the "lopsidedness", if there is any, by adjusting the torsion bars.
071511_04-1.JPG

Have 002/003 S/S springs on my Dart. Doesn't sit too high, or sit lopsided. You can easily fix the "lopsidedness", if there is any, by adjusting the torsion bars.
071511_04-1.JPG

guess thats a matter of opinion. to me that car sits too high. good looking car other than that though.. :)

That looks great too Joe! I wonder if anyone has used the S/S springs with some lowering blocks?

I've used SS spring (002 & 003) for decades on daily drivers - no problem.

071511_04-1.JPG

I think that looks great. I personally like a little higher stance. I think my questions been answered. I doubt it rides any harsher than it does with the air shocks.

I have 002/003 on my dart, stance is good and ride is fine. I take trips up to several hundred miles at time with no complaints. Make sure you use the correct shocks, that probably most peoples problem is shocks. Just like 69_340_gts, my car is not sky high and does not sit lop sided ... And yes, it will ride 100 x's better than air shocks !

Abodyjoe, Your crazy ! that car is not too high, not much higher than your car ... MAYBE 1.5" .... I would agree with you if his rear wheel arch was above the tire !

I went with espo 6 leaf 340 springs 1 inch over... car sits nice and rides good. I think it was around 330 shipped for a pair. Great people to deal with and matched set of springs.

I think that looks great. I personally like a little higher stance. I think my questions been answered. I doubt it rides any harsher than it does with the air shocks.
I think the picture, taken from a low angle, actually makes it look higher than it really is. Here's another pic:
071511_02-1.JPG

Mine with 002/003 springs

Attachments

• 20141017_153628-1.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 297
I have 002/003 on my dart, stance is good and ride is fine. I take trips up to several hundred miles at time with no complaints. Make sure you use the correct shocks, that probably most peoples problem is shocks. Just like 69_340_gts, my car is not sky high and does not sit lop sided ... And yes, it will ride 100 x's better than air shocks !

Abodyjoe, Your crazy ! that car is not too high, not much higher than your car ... MAYBE 1.5" .... I would agree with you if his rear wheel arch was above the tire !

If I remember when I get home I'll show ya how much 1 1/2 inches is. It's huge. Too much space from the rim to whe wheel well. Like I said its a nice car but sits way too high for me. But hey different strokes man.

-
Back