SS springs and?

-

aquapimp

Reaction score
Thanks 72scamptramp: I believe they have bushings in the front, but none in the rear. They are at my shop, I'll have to check.

I'm really happy with how the the Dart is turning out, there is an incredible amount to learn about these cars! I appreciate the help tremendously!

Your gonna want to get the ones in the first link,hangers and bushings(2)to maintain stock look.The SS springs will make your car sit higher,unless you flip your front spring hanger/mounts.

The fronts are pressed in already. Looks like the shackles in the first link come with bushings in them all ready so you don't need the ones in the other link. They are over priced any way. You can get a bushing set from Mancini for 16 bucks.

I'm trying to maintain as close to a stock ride height toohttp://

Not with s.s. springs you won't...as for the shackles and bushing i always use Espo springs&things...

Thanks guys! To make sure:

1.) purchase the new shackles (first link). They have the new rear bushings.

2.) the new SS springs came with the front bushings

this handles all associated bushings.

Flip front hanger mounts to maintain stock ride height. If I do NOT flip front hangers, how much lift should I expect?

Also, If I could run this by you guys... other mods planned (parts obtained). Make sense?

1. changing gears from stock 3 23's to Strange 3 91's (8 3/4 rear end)
2. rebuild rear end
3. frame connectors
4. pinion snubber
5. new shocks all the way 'round

The shackles on tour car now are giving you a few in of lift already. That's why I suggested stock shackles with the super stock spring, this should put you at the same ride hieght you are currently at. (not stock).

great point, Lowride. Hope you are right! I neglected that in the post. The measurements seem to suggest it will put it back to it's current ride height.

Here is my Dart with a set of 002/003 S/S springs on it. I did not flip my hangers.

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 457
  • 024.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 430
  • 025.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 438
I like the way it looks with a little rake to it. Better than it did with the old sagging springs dragging her butt around.

Also, If I could run this by you guys... other mods planned (parts obtained). Make sense?

2. rebuild rear end
3. frame connectors
4. pinion snubber

Sounds like a good build plan to me.

agree on the long shocks.

pinion snubber is optional - dont bother unless you are having problems at the track or chasing hundredths on your 60 ft.

i just put a home fabbed snubber on mine and rancho 9000 shocks.

also - you can lower the rear with lowering blocks. mine has 1" blocks on it.

Ah this is just what I am struggling with. I have the SS springs on my Dart but would like to get the height back down to stock. I thought about flipping the front bracket on the springs, which would be a 2" drop measuring the bracket. But unless I'm wrong here wouldn't flipping the front bracket rotate the pinion up adding positive angle to the pinion angle? Someone suggested here I check my pinion angle, which I never thought of doing. After checking it I'm at 1.5* up which needs to go down. Geez something else to do to the car. :icon_smi:

I could also do lowering blocks and would this also affect the pinion angle?

Ah this is just what I am struggling with. I have the SS springs on my Dart but would like to get the height back down to stock. I thought about flipping the front bracket on the springs, which would be a 2" drop measuring the bracket. But unless I'm wrong here wouldn't flipping the front bracket rotate the pinion up adding positive angle to the pinion angle? Someone suggested here I check my pinion angle, which I never thought of doing. After checking it I'm at 1.5* up which needs to go down. Geez something else to do to the car. :icon_smi:

I could also do lowering blocks and would this also affect the pinion angle?

Your pinion angle will probably be off. Mine was off so far that I had to order (2) 2 degree shim kits from Summit racing and it's still only about 0 degrees. I'll probably have to have my perches cut off and re-welded to obtain the correct angle. You will find that it will make a horendous noise if you try to drive it like that.

Currently I have 4 degree plates in mine and it comes out to 0. So thats what I'm looking at doing next (re welding new perches on). I'm wanting to make a set of custom front spring hanger mounts along with a couple of reinforcing plates. My intention is to move the rear end back a little to center the wheel and tire in the wheel well. I have my materials gathered up and trying to find the time now.

2. rebuild rear end
3. frame connectors
4. pinion snubber

Sounds like a good build plan to me.

Are you going to be racing? If not you dont need subframe connectors or a pinion snubber neccessarily...but they dont hurt either and if you've already got them, then may as well use them.

As far as shocks go, I had SS springs on my 67 and put a set of KYB's on all 4 corners and they worked fine, didnt need longer shocks or the dreaded shock extensions either. It did sit higher in the rear, and the passegner side sat higher than the drivers side, but that's to compensate for engine torque on launch. (again, these are race springs afterall)I evened things out by adjusting my torsion bars so it sat a little less "stink bug" and level....ride was pretty firm, but not overly harsh. If I had to do it all again (which I'm going to on the Duster). I'd go Espo +1 springs...

3.91's are a good compromise street/strip gear....but if your thinking more Power Tour then I'd stick w/ 3.23's or 3.55's...

So it sounds like the easiest way to get back to stock ride height would be to put the stock springs back in?

I noticed the difference with the SS ones but I would like to get it back to closer to the stock ride height. Car is not raced, just a street ride.

Well I haven't tried to lower it yet with changing the front spring mount. I did add 4* plates and now I'm at 1.7* instead of -1.5* for the pinion angle calculation. Which I'm thinking might be ok for a street machine.

So here's a thought. Could I get away with putting in 1" shorter shackles to lower it some? This would also add more down angle on the pinion which should be better than raising the front of the springs which would add positive angle to the pinion. Shackles are 4.5" now. Would being 1" shorter cause any problem having a shorter radius arc on the rear of the spring?

-
Back