stainless steel lug nuts

-

planetmopar

planetmopar
Reaction score
does anyone know where to buy stainles steel lug nuts? 7/16 or 1/2 inch or the best buy for chrome?
thanks, Danny

I'm pretty sure, given the properties of stainless steel, that you won't find any for wheel nuts. Chrome ones can be had at your local wheel/tire or speed shops and are readily available on the internet from various sources.
Daryl

I'm pretty sure, given the properties of stainless steel, that you won't find any for wheel nuts. Chrome ones can be had at your local wheel/tire or speed shops and are readily available on the internet from various sources.
Daryl

I think a product called Gorilla nuts are supposed to be chip and peal proof. Try Summit or Jegs.

You never use stainless nuts or bolts for any "loading" application, like suspension or brakes. I would include lug nuts in that as well. Stainless will fail (pull the threads out very easily) under moderate loads.

For instance, stainless bolts will be used in shear pin applications where you want the bolt to fail before other things are damaged. Alloy Steel is much stronger and will bend a lot before failing.

You never use stainless nuts or bolts for any "loading" application, like suspension or brakes. I would include lug nuts in that as well. Stainless will fail (pull the threads out very easily) under moderate loads.

For instance, stainless bolts will be used in shear pin applications where you want the bolt to fail before other things are damaged. Alloy Steel is much stronger and will bend a lot before failing.

Stainless steel is an alloy.

McGard has a lot of triple chrome plated made in USA lugnuts. High priced but well worth it. They make a lot of different kinds.

I just bought a set of the Gorilla's but Summit had a bunch of different brands to choose from.

McGard $$$,but you get what you pay for.I use these,nothing worse than having stripped lugs with a deep dish rim.

...stainless is just nickel added to the parent metal.
the carbon content in the base steel will determine its' strength or hardness.
there are many different grades of stainless steel......

SS is fine with lugs, i weld loads of SS under high stress loads, again like above said nickel alloy, and tell me your wheel torque is what 100ft lbs or so?
people are delusional , dont tell me after decades of welding SS and working with it it s bad,
there food grade to structural aircraft and more, tell the millitary that , idiots

Kinda harsh there dont you think. When youre wrong about something are you an idiot.

Any closed end lug nut is sugect to seizing to the stud. The dont disapate heat well at all. That's why the factories made those nuts with the stainless jackets over them.
Defeating a seized lug nut will be more difficult if it's made of high quality solid stainless.
A good anti-seize compound is a must.

-
Back