Starter

-
Something else (magnums) uses that "hemi style" starter because I have one, and it did NOT come off a hemi

Actually... get one from a 2005-2008 Dodge Ram with a 5.7 and a MANUAL transmission, as the automatic one is different.

2005 DODGE RAM 1500 PICKUP 5.7L V8 Starter Motor | RockAuto

Hi Guys,

I came over this thread a few weeks ago and was really happy because they sell them starters here in Europe for about 90€, so i didnt have to order from the USA which would be more expensive.

Tried to install it today, loads of room to the headers but it wont fit the block (1976 360cui)
see the pics.
Anybody else with the same issues or does it fit your blocks?

Thank you
Laurin

20201031_200203.jpg

20201031_200125.jpg

20201031_194518.jpg

20201031_194705.jpg

20201031_194842.jpg

20201031_194852.jpg

Would be interesting to see who’s running 727 or 904....

All this talk about the "clunky and heavy" original Chrysler starters and I've never heard one single complaint of one that came stock on the 13.5:1 Max Wedge cars.......and I used to know someone with one locally. Busted off every single time cold, hot or heat soaked. I can see from the size standpoint, but the starters themselves were a good design. Just like any other, the cheap *** remans gave them a bad rep.

Mine is a 904.

Think i will go with a msd dyna force starter now

kind of figured as such.... I run an R3 block and last year changed from a 727 to 904 and my nippendenso starter had to be ground on to fit.... so the different location of the starter definitely can be a game changer here.

Need to find a starter. Engine has 14: 1 compression. What are the best options. What are you guys using?

Why not change your starting procedure; leave your ignition off until engine is spinning over, then flip your ignition on. That way you are not forcing the starter to buck a cylinder that is trying to fire.

Would be interesting to see who’s running 727 or 904....
I have one on my 904 transmission. My 96 dakota has a 360 magnum engine and a 904 transmission. The starter cam off a 95 dakota sport with a 5.2 magnum and automatic transmission. But I don't remember what size transmission it had

I have one on my 904 transmission. My 96 dakota has a 360 magnum engine and a 904 transmission. The starter cam off a 95 dakota sport with a 5.2 magnum and automatic transmission. But I don't remember what size transmission it had
That would be a starter from a magnum engine.... Mr 74Scamp was trying to use a Geniii hemi starter that some have used with success apparently. I’m just wondering if those guys were using 727s.

That would be a starter from a magnum engine.... Mr 74Scamp was trying to use a Geniii hemi starter that some have used with success apparently. I’m just wondering if those guys were using 727s.
Oh sorry I missed that part.. are you thinking about trying one?

For the last 20 years all I've ran is a starter for a 93 5.2 Dakota and see no reason to change.

For the last 20 years all I've ran is a starter for a 93 5.2 Dakota and see no reason to change.

me too.... warranty units from work back in the mid 90’s. There were no “serviceable” parts so repairs got a complete starter. I’d buy starter contacts and use them. :). I have a couple spares that I’ve never used.

Exactly, so anybody used the 2005 dodge ram manual trans starter with success?
I bought it because it is stonger (1.7kw) than the normal mini starters, as they spin my engine barely when its cold and not at all when its hot.
Tried a lot to prevent heat soak but have not found a solution yet so i just try a stronger starter. My compression is actuall only about 10 to 1

Exactly, so anybody used the 2005 dodge ram manual trans starter with success?
I bought it because it is stonger (1.7kw) than the normal mini starters, as they spin my engine barely when its cold and not at all when its hot.
Tried a lot to prevent heat soak but have not found a solution yet so i just try a stronger starter. My compression is actuall only about 10 to 1

Have you checked your voltage at the starter while cranking? My 434 is 11.2-1 and the Magnum starter spins it over fine.

13.5 to 1 with my timing locked at 32 degrees..... 95 era mini starter cranks it fine.

Does anyone have pics of this '05-'08 Ram starter installed on an engine? 440 with tti 1 7/8 headers would be fantastic.

Oh sorry I understand now. I think Rob MC makes or made a clock able mopar mini starter. But I am sure it's lots more money. I might buy one of the hemi starters and see if it will fit my engine set up

-
Back