Starting problems

-

Ashton

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I just completed a 318 to 360 swap and I've yet to get this thing started. (Once I fix one thing another comes up) but while trying to get my car to start my battery went dead so I got it charged when I got it back in nothing would happen. No clicking or anything. With the new starter in I tried doing the screwdriver trick, it sparked a little bit and engaged for a second, then after that nothing.

Things that I've done so far are; switch out starter and and test voltage in wires with a multimeter. Pretty much they all read 12.68 except for the small thinner wire on starter. I've checked fuses and a couple were blown so I replaced them also.

Any guesses as to what the problem is? It's just strange that it was turning over engine one day and the next I've got nothing.

Let's get this to the most basic components

If I understand, it won't crank, even when jumpering across the starter solenoid?

Most basic you have block---ground cable --battery -- positive cable -- starter relay "big stud"--down to starter--and through the starter to block, a complete circle

You should be able to short the two terminals AT the starter and it should crank

If not, clip your multimeter to the block and to the large starter terminal AT the starter

Check voltage while jumpering the solenoid

If voltage is below 10, battery is low, cables are bad, or starter is bad

Check voltage at battery posts while jumpering starter. This will take a clip on remote switch, or two people

Below 10, battery low or defective.

If battery is OK, but low at starter, check your battery cable terminals.

Agree. Check the battery voltage while trying to crank. Even better, measure on the cable sides, since corrosion can cause a big drop from posts to cable. Better still, measure right at the starter, from its case to its biggest stud. I remember helping a friend at night in a parking lot. We could push start his mini-truck, but nothing with his new battery. He finally looked close with a flashlight and saw he had left the plastic cap on the battery post.

I eventually figured out to clean off my terminals and it started right up. (I felt really dumb) now I'm just working on getting alternator to charge the battery but I've got the tight diagram now so that shouldn't be a problem soon. Thanks for all the help guys!

-
Back