Steering shaft nut / threads issues

-

shadango

Reaction score
The steering wheel on my Barracida was just stuck on the shaft (barely) with no nut.....so I started looking into gettin ga nut...

Someone on the cuda-challenger.com site said it is is a 1/2" fine lock nut.

Well,I found a couple of 1/2-fine (20) nuts.....one a stop nut the other a nylon lock nut.

However, seems that the top of the shaft is a little mushroomed over.....I have a thread chaser die and a thread file and thought I was making a little progress but no joy.....the die doesnt seem to want to start ......

Afraid to get too aggressive and really louse up the shaft.....

Any words of wisdom on this?

I suspect you can't get that thread file in there to clean the threads up. If that's the case I'd probably disassemble the steering column and pull the shaft out. Then that thread file could be put to good use, then use the die. Just my 2c.

Actually I can get the thread file in there.....

Just doesnt seem like I am helping matters much....LOL

I thought I had the die started but no joy.

I guess I want to confirm the size too, if anyone knows....

A full nut of threads or close to it is all you need. You can cut off 1/8" or more of the shaft. Should clear a mushroomed end.
i can check the thread size come morning.

A full nut of threads or close to it is all you need. You can cut off 1/8" or more of the shaft. Should clear a mushroomed end.
i can check the thread size come morning.

Thanks! I would appreciate that....

Awesome....thanks!

Will feel a little better now trying to make this work....LOL

Ok....it took some real patience and a little panic on my end (LOL) but got the steering wheel nut I was having trouble with due to messed up threads going on fine now nut wise......I still have to try and see if there is enough thread for the nut to press the wheel can to the shaft......

But one issue I am wondering about is that I can move the steering shaft in and out about 3/4" to 1 "....it moves in and out of the coupler that joins to the input shaft of the power steering box....

Here is a shot of my vice grips holding the shaft in place so I can work on it inside....

DCP_0097.jpg

Here is a shot with the pliers removed....

DCP_0098.jpg

Here is what it looks like inside...note the locking clip some distance away from the plastic....

DCP_0096.jpg

Here is a shot of the shaft pushed all the way in towards the engine....

DCP_0099.jpg

and here is what it looks like inside when pushed all the way in.....

DCP_0100.jpg

Any thoughts? Seems like I may have something amiss here.....The steering wheel can will only go as far as the locking circlip there.....and then the can will probably ride up against the steering column collar, which cant be right.....

Please tell me I dont have to pull/replace the steering shaft after all the work I went through to get the nut on! :walkaway:

There should be a spring and a stop collar at the bottom of the column above your vise grips

Oh for pete's sake......I am embarassed to say that I didn't see that the circlip was disengaged from the groove...

How did I not see that? These old eyes must be getting even poorer than I thought....LOL

I guess part of it is that I assumed it was together the way it "should" be...looks like when the previous seller replaced the ignition lock he forgot that!

That took up about 95% of the movement...there is still some there though....is that normal?

Would the spring/stop collar be visible? Cant seeanything like that in the service manual pics.....??

Depends on year model. The design of the lower bearing changed at some point. Automatic or manual makes a difference too. A little bit of movement shouldn't be a problem.

so everything is good ? glad you got that behind you :-D

How true!

I bought a steering wheel/pulley/etc puller kit from harbor freight today...it has long bolts with it that Iam hoping will work with the can on this steering wheel......I want a way to get it off before I put it back on just in case. LOL

So it turns out that the puller I got, though longer than the others I saw, is still about an inch or so too short......

GGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

The service manual calls for chrysler tool c3428B...but I'll betcha that is steep!

Can you just get some longer bolts for the puller?

Yeah, the bolts I figured I could get in a longer size no problem.....its the center piece ....that you screw down against the shaft.....Its a fine thread, large sized piece....

Yeah, the bolts I figured I could get in a longer size no problem.....its the center piece ....that you screw down against the shaft.....Its a fine thread, large sized piece....

A couple ideas:

1. Use a small socket or piece of pipe to extend the length of the center piece of the puller.

or...........

2. Put the steering wheel back on and thread the nut on the steering shaft. Install the 3 nuts that attach the steering wheel to the collar. Rock the wheel back and forth while pulling it up towards you. Make sure you have the nut threaded on several turns or you could pop yourself in the face. #-o

-
Back