Steering wheel choices for protouring guys?

-
I have a rimblow wheel on there currently. It's in need of some resto. Multiple cracks and someone disconnected the rim horn activation, likely with good reason, and cut a hot in the center cover and but a horn button in it. :(

Well, at least you have the spacer...

Thanks, Joe! Yep...another $100... oh well.
Fortunately, I did get the Classic/Nostalgia 846 as you recommended.

Is the turn signal stalk the only concern? If so, bending it might be an option...especially if it means that I could get an extra couple inches of arm room.

if i remember correctly.. i think the wheel becomes too far away.. it may be comfortable for you though..

if i remember correctly.. i think the wheel becomes too far away.. it may be comfortable for you though..

Ok...I guess it makes sense to try it first. I prefer a slightly more "arms out straight" driving position. Even with my seat (bench) all the way back, my arms are bent to much...so who knows? It could be an improvement.

For an option that doesn't require an adapter, and for those who like to keep things as much Mopar as possible, you can use a wheel from a later or more upscale Chrysler product. Depending on the year of the donor and your car, you might have many options.

The stock wheel in my '73 Dodge truck was cheap looking with a large diameter and very thin rim. I replaced it with one from an '80 Cordoba, which was about 2" smaller than the original. It was a direct bolt on and I bought an inexpensive leather cover and a small piece of 1/8" upholstery padding and covered it myself in a few minutes. Less than $50 for everything.

I also used the Cordoba turn signal stalk. It was identical to the truck, only shorter.

Are you sure you didn't get the soft Corinthian leather cover? ;)

I bought this leather wrapped tuff wheel at a swap meet for $20. It came out of a Cordoba, and yes it was FINE Corinthian leather. It was so fine, I sold it some guy in Sweden for $300!

tuffwheel004LargeMedium.jpg

So the Grant wheel is installed...mostly.
The spacer may in fact be a necessity. While the position of the wheel is an improvement without it (for my preferences), as Joe suggested, the turn signal stalk gets in the way of your hands. There's less than an inch between the stalk and the rim of the wheel. It's only an issue when maneuvering in parking lots, etc...but it's an annoyance.

Has anyone successfully bent their turn signal stalk for more clearance? How did you do it? I think I will buy a replacement one and attempt the bend before I mangle my stock one...

Secondly, the horn button doesn't seem right. There is a spring in the center that pushes on the inside of the button/cup away from the shaft...this assembly is supposed to hold the contact plate away from the surface of the steering wheel until you compress the spring (push the button) and make the contact.

It's incredibly simple but it doesn't work...horn blows as soon as I reconnect the battery.

The switch from the stock steering wheel is self-contained and a lot nicer but it's too tall to fit under the center of the new wheel...I think.

Did anyone else have problems with this? The directions are very vague and non specific to the model of the wheel.

-
Back