Stock '69 318, t-quad vs q-jet vs holley vs edelbrock?

-
Best to stick with a new carb as parts are available. T quad and q jet carbs you will have to hunt for parts.
All the carbs will function well when tuned on the engine. T quads have long been out of production and finding one that is serviceable may be difficult.
Rochester bolt on the same manifolds and Edelbrock has new reproduction carbs available. The Rochester triple booster on the small primaries provides good fuel economy at low speeds.
The Edelbrock AVS2 carbs come with annular boosters on the primary venturis to aid atomization and economy. Very beneficial on an airgap style manifold.
Personally I would go with the AVS2 650 CFM, and second choice would be the Rochester style Edelbrock. Once you get either dialed in, just forget and drive.

Both QJ and TQ use triple boosters & I am 99% sure that Edel stopped selling QJs a long time back.

I'm not jumping into the argument over which is best but I will comment on my experience. I have used all the aforementioned carburetors in one instance or another and I can say with 100% confidence that the Thermoquad is the best carburetor I have ever run on a mild to slightly moderate (down to about 12-14hg) street or dual purpose car. I don't run one on Vixen now, because she's pretty rowdy at only 6hg and I'm sure I'd have trouble with idle tuning. Plus, I don't have a TQ to try. She's getting a 650 double pumper next.

Stock 1969 318, 9.2:1 cr.
230 factory horse power.

Added 1406 Edelbrock 4 bbl on the stock 2 barrel manifold. (intake manifold ports match the 318 head ports)

Huge power and performance improvement, pass anything you want at 70+ mph on the freeway.

No restriction, no bog, fun to open the secondaries at will when you want more go.

Even the tone of the engine deepened up with the 4 bbl upgrade, now giving it the fuel that it needs. Remember the stock 2 barrel carbs are economy carbs.

20230124_110028.jpg

All this with stock 2 bbl. cam, stock exhaust manifolds, and single factory exhaust system, and stock points distributor.

Resized_20190721_191121_2357.jpeg

Go Man Go

The light Torque Thrust aluminum wheels are part of the secret that makes this setup perform, less rotating mass to spin up. More "Go" to the ground.

☆☆☆☆☆

230 factory horse power.

Added 1406 Edelbrock 4 bbl on the stock 2 barrel manifold. (intake manifold ports match the 318 head ports)

Huge power and performance improvement, pass anything you want at 70+ mph on the freeway.

No restriction, no bog, fun to open the secondaries at will when you want more go.

Even the tone of the engine deepened up with the 4 bbl upgrade, now giving it the fuel that it needs. Remember the stock 2 barrel carbs are economy carbs.

View attachment 1716097957

All this with stock 2 bbl. cam, stock exhaust manifolds, and single factory exhaust system, and stock points distributor.

View attachment 1716097958

Go Man Go

The light Torque Thrust aluminum wheels are part of the secret that makes this setup perform, less rotating mass to spin up. More "Go" to the ground.

☆☆☆☆☆
It would probably perform even better with the 1405, as the 1406 is also an economy carburetor. The 1405 is the performance version. Still the 1406 is a vast improvement over a BBD.

Same with this '76 D100 truck with a stock '90 318 (9.2:1cr, 230 hp engine).

Add on Edelbrock 1406 4 bbl. electric choke carb. It is bolt on and go, runs so nice and great idle too. Just keeps on pulling when you put your foot into it, never floats out. That Roller valve train, roller springs and stock factory 302 heads and dual 2" exhaust system, are all part of the magic that makes this one perform.

This '76 truck was at Mopars in the Park car show in MN this weekend was in the Truck section.

I am sure the A body guys did a Walk-a-Bout and saw it there.

'76 D100 Mopars _ Park 2023.jpg

20220910_152024.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Probably a little known fact on a Mopar forum, but the QJ was used on a 230in inline six Pontiac engine in 1967. It shows the versatility of the design. The engine will take the air that it wants...& no more.

Probably a little known fact on a Mopar forum, but the QJ was used on a 230in inline six Pontiac engine in 1967. It shows the versatility of the design. The engine will take the air that it wants...& no more.
Mama had a 67 Tempest with the Sprint option. It was pretty snappy.

Hi all,
Just got a '69 dart with a 318. New to this engine and mopars in general. It is a completely unmolested engine, stock two barrel of course. After I get some headers and dual exhaust on it, I plan on doing a 4 barrel swap. In terms of intake, I could go for something spread bore to run a t-quad or q-jet, but is this the right way to go? I could also try to find a square bore intake and run an edelbrock avs2 or a holley vac secondary...

The t-quad seems really appealing given the stories of great mileage and unparalleled airflow for the price but is it more of a hassle?

Thanks guys
OP, remytherat, enough bench racing.

Here's a FREE, (postage $20) Complete, 80457-2, electric choke 600 CFM Holley, vacuum secondary.

Has factory jetting (64 primary jets), and is all original and unmolested.

In terms of a small CFM carb designed for stock or slightly modified small engines, this is it.

Plenty of tuning parts out there, jets, power valves, spring kit for the vacuum secondary diaphragm to dial in the secondaries opening rate, etc.

You should be able to find an LA style dual plane, used intake, for between $100-$150 here or less at swap meets

The carb will clean up nicely. there are plenty of resources for you to consult when you rebuild the carb.
Start with YouTube. Easily rebuilt with half a dozen basic hand tools.

Amazon has A Holley brand rebuild kit for $25.

So... For about $150-$200, (carb, intake, gaskets, air cleaner) plus some sweat, you'll have a nice power adder on your engine.

Oh, did I mention that the carb is 100% complete ?

PM me for address exchange.

PXL_20230604_110747200.jpg

PXL_20230604_110739653.jpg

PXL_20230604_110727643.jpg

PXL_20230604_110701854.jpg

Last edited:
I don't want to spend a ton on the performance upgrades, and I don't want to spend a ton on supporting upgrades to make way for more extreme upgrades.

Something that cruises well at 70 mph, not screaming down the highway.
As long as I can punch it at 30 and cruise to 80 in a jiffy i'm chill with it

Strongly leaning towards t-quad and 340/360 intake, exhaust first of course
Small primaries kinda just make sense for what I'm looking to do it seems like
Bottom line the thing has to be somewhat practical cuz I'm gonna drive the hell out of it
Excellent! Do the OEM 4bbl. intake and the earliest TQ you can get without any emissions stuff and as little vacuum ports as possible. The best header and exhaust kit system I’ve done is from Summit using their own Summit brand headers into their dual exhaust kit. 2-1/2 inch pipe will be perfectly fine.

The small primary TQ is perfect for your idea IMO. Just so you know if you don’t, there is an electric choke version and they have the small primary.

Do not worry about any port mismatch between intake and cylinder head.

Below, member George Jets shows an excellent set of posts that demonstrate a great execution. He knows the deal and is very good and knowledgeable about this. Following his example is a plus.
Going to stick with points and see if I can make it work, since if people could make em work in the 60s I don't see why I can't. That being said I have some experience with the pertronix modules which work incredibly well and I will probably install one at some point.
The points ignition is fine BUT parts are becoming hit and miss on quality. Finding OEM or other quality replacement parts can be done but can be a little pricey for what they are. Not that it would break your bank, just silly in price. It reminds me of price gouging on stuff. But the points will work great once you get it dialed in. No doubt.

After all of this, I’d say your good to go.
230 factory horse power.

View attachment 1716097957

View attachment 1716097958

Go Man Go

☆☆☆☆☆
Good show Mr. George Jets!

OP, remytherat, enough bench racing.

Here's a FREE, (postage $20) Complete, 80457-2, electric choke 600 CFM Holley, vacuum secondary.

Has factory jetting (64 primary jets), and is all original and unmolested.

In terms of a small CFM carb designed for stock or slightly modified small engines, this is it.

Plenty of tuning parts out there, jets, power valves, spring kit for the vacuum secondary diaphragm to dial in the secondaries opening rate, etc.

You should be able to find an LA style dual plane, used intake, for between $100-$150 here or less at swap meets

The carb will clean up nicely. there are plenty of resources for you to consult when you rebuild the carb.
Start with YouTube. Easily rebuilt with half a dozen basic hand tools.

Amazon has A Holley brand rebuild kit for $25.

So... For about $150-$200, (carb, intake, gaskets, air cleaner) plus some sweat, you'll have a nice power adder on your engine.

Oh, did I mention that the carb is 100% complete ?

PM me for address exchange.

View attachment 1716097976

View attachment 1716097977

View attachment 1716097978

View attachment 1716097979
Now THAT is an amazing deal. For the cost it'll be worth the extra effort to refresh and tune to your liking.
Stuff like this is why I love the FABO community!

Best to stick with a new carb as parts are available. T quad and q jet carbs you will have to hunt for parts.
If you are familiar with the Thermoquad and know how to tune one, it will suck the other carburetors right down the intake. There's just no comparison. On the other hand, if you're not...........
Don’t get me wrong, I love the TQ. I have a collection of them. I buy them up price permitting. Just saying, hard to find parts. If you have the time and will, start your hunt. Yes, I believe the TQ is the performance leader for a street car and street/ strip car. All out race car? Holley unless your restricted by rules.

I don't want to spend a ton on the performance upgrades, and I don't want to spend a ton on supporting upgrades to make way for more extreme upgrades.

Something that cruises well at 70 mph, not screaming down the highway.
As long as I can punch it at 30 and cruise to 80 in a jiffy i'm chill with it

Strongly leaning towards t-quad and 340/360 intake, exhaust first of course
Small primaries kinda just make sense for what I'm looking to do it seems like
Bottom line the thing has to be somewhat practical cuz I'm gonna drive the hell out of it

absolutely will do, I want to be able to cruise the canyons without dying

Going to stick with points and see if I can make it work, since if people could make em work in the 60s I don't see why I can't. That being said I have some experience with the pertronix modules which work incredibly well and I will probably install one at some point.
Have you spent some time with the stock config?
Honestly, I'd play with what you got.
That's not to stop you from planning for a switch to 4 bbl, but in the meantime see how you like the baseline.

a '69 318 with 2 bbl is still plenty torquey. (at least a 49 state engine) It certainly surprised quite a few people in our 4 door Belvidere.
It's at the drag strip where it (the 2 bbl and the single point distributor) will noticibly run out of steam.

The 4010/4011 is a nice carb once you clean out the machining debris. There's some long threads on Racing Fuel System forum comparing the details.

One advantage of a factory 4-bbl carb and intake is keeping the factory mechanical choke. Hacking into the electrical system gets lots of people in trouble.

-
Back