stock looking engine , BIG POWER |||

-

ValerianMagnum

the little car that could
Reaction score
i just bought as some have seen , a 74 rr gtx , it as a 440 hp engine ( low compression 74 ) and i would really like to keep it it stock looking , but of course have more power , headers is fairly the cheapest as usual , but i would like to keep the original exhaust manifold on the engine ,

thinking about buying aluminium heads , dual plane intake , maybe stroke it but everything that can be painted and hidden ,,,

Lots of people say you just CANT make good power with exhaust manifold even if its extrude honed ,,, so what can i do ... recipes , tricks ? post youre combos of *fast and stock looking *

btw : the car s gonna be a lot lighter with aluminium painted parts , and a good stall and gears of course

Stroker motors are all the rage now. Probably because they are cost effective and can increase performance on pump gas. The Mopar grind cams can't be beat for performance either. Factory iron heads run out of breath without extensive modification. The cost of upgrades to iron heads starts to get close to alloy heads in stock form. If you think you are giving up power with cast manifolds you are correct. But I would do it anyway. I can't stress enough the benefits of cleanliness and a good machinest who knows Mopars. good luck, bon chance

i heard that porting exhaust manifold are only good for like 6 hp and 7 tq on a 600 hp stroker ! ...im really impressed with those guys that run f.a.s.t class with a stock looking engine its totaly crazy ,

The more horsepower you try to make the more they will eat but look at restricted plate racing hp still can be made. Extruded hone ain't worth it porting gives you little.

Cr and Cam would add a lot especially one with extra exhaust duration a custom hydralic roller probably be the best way to squeeze power out. But you go aftermarket heads and intake even painted a good eye will spot it.

............ aluminium heads , dual plane intake , maybe stroke it but everything that can be painted and hidden

First, no aluminum head I've ever seen "looks factory" I don't care what color it's painted

Second, trying to pull this off might be fun, but it SURE will be VERY expensive. Someone mentioned F.A.S.T. This is a shining example of "how cool" this is, but I can assure you, this is VERY expensive in terms of 'bang for the buck'

Stealth Heads on a BB look very factory when painted if you don't know what to look for. A stroker with a set of ported Stealths would look stock to most brand X and lots of mopar people.

Man don't go with nitrous. ALL THROUTL NO BOTTLE ! ported stealth heads It can be done. I am telling ya you can make your car stock looking as much as possible & still run 11s or even 10s. I am going to do it with my cuda or die trying. It might cost more but it will be well worth it.

keep the ideas coming !! already thinking about getting the another hood to put the bulge higher on the r runner , because i will run a higher intake with at least 1" spacer and the original style air bowl , the car s gonna go trough a lot of weight loss , lots of aluminium brackets a rr of that year must be around 3 800 pounds with a 440 , want to shred a good 500 pounds or more and keep it subtile ( aalready did it with my duster ) but im suchhh with a newbie with the b-body and big blocks , do you have links for the iron stealth heads ???

and really thinking about stroking and run iron exhaust manifolds , i tought that the extrude honing was 100x better than port them !! keep some ideas coming !!!!

From the pics I saw in your other thread that car looks like it lost over 500 pounds of metal already ;) :D

ahahhahahahaaha....... yeah or even more !! but still after the huge body job , im taking some infos on the 440 and the goals that im looking for !

Look for some of the articles Andy F did on his stroker big block Coronet like this.
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/mopp-0501-1965-dodge-coronet-500/

You could do a similar build with the stealth heads which like other people have stated look stock when painted. DP4B intake looks stock and flows good. I think its a cool idea and will be interested to see how you proceed.

X2 on this!!!!!

And has anyone noticed how prevalant the "high performance/stock looks" theme seems to be with the Mopar crowd versus the Chevy / Ford guys? Its one of my absolute favorite attributes about the Mopar world = )

BEST OF LUCK V-MAG!

Stealth Heads on a BB look very factory when painted if you don't know what to look for. A stroker with a set of ported Stealths would look stock to most brand X and lots of mopar people.

The guy that's neighbors with Hell,nailed it. The heads are aluminum,look really close to stock B/RB castings. Paint them factory color,call it stock Stroker kit,hydraulic roller cam.

Get on 440 source web site. Lots of info on the stealth heads & stroker kits. Don't get the heads with valves, springs ect. Put on what the cam calls for.

http://store.440source.com/440-Source-Stealth-Aluminum-Cylinder-Heads/products/36/

There aluminum heads but look close to stock. Most suggest have them gone through for poor hard wear but heads them self's are good.

I know a guy (on here once in a while) that had a dart, w/ a supposedly 383 in it, it had a painted-same color as the engine, dual plane intake that had the indy logo ground off, looked close to stock on that 500 incher. course everyone knows he`s full of it. LOL he`s a darn sharp mopar guy ! car ran pretty darn good !

I know a guy (on here once in a while) that had a dart, w/ a supposedly 383 in it, it had a painted-same color as the engine, dual plane intake that had the indy logo ground off, looked close to stock on that 500 incher. course everyone knows he`s full of it. LOL he`s a darn sharp mopar guy ! car ran pretty darn good !

Wayne's sunflower yellow Dart?

I knew a guy that had a 416 small block stroked in a 71 340 cuda...its amazing the faces that people do when they dont expect to be blown by a stock looking car !!! The shorty with the heath risers can be a good idea , the point is because i always been in the small block recipes...the fact of having for the first time the chance to play with a big block... i dont have to explain that a bigger engine s gonna drink a lot more , so since it would drink why not make it drink even more but at least have mega power, have to waste my gas for a good reason ��

I built a 383/496 two years ago. One stock appearing at Carlisle that year. Through manifolds it made 450hp to the tires. He's since made some bolt on changes and it now makes 480. But it can be done. If you were to start with a running engine (core) and go from there, you'd belooking at $12-13K for it. Ported Stealths, solid flat tappet, no need to port the manfolds by the way. Totally not worth it. Having the right cam is what matters.

-
Back