Stop discarding good 340 engines ! !

-
Yep, with a lot of work you can put a 2.08" intake valve in a 340 X head.....

Oh, you can put a 2.14" intake valve in the 383 906 head.
I put 2.19 intake and 1.88 ex in a 915 head,

No, it's a truck..............That's where they go :)
Yes in a standard WORK truck or van.

But the LRT was a "Last Hurrah" HotRod and being over 6200 GVW had no emissions in 1978 so a 440 Six Pack would have worked well.

In 1979 EPA slapped Chrysler and made the 1979 LRT have all the emissions.

Washington state use to have SMOG testing every two years. When I'd bring my LRT in and they put it on the rollers and had me bring it to 2500 RPM, the stacks pointing up would set off the Carbon monoxide alarms in the ceiling and they would need to shut down the site and clear the building out. They had to test me outside the building and not on rollers and it passed every time.

Yes in a standard WORK truck or van.

But the LRT was a "Last Hurrah" HotRod and being over 6200 GVW had no emissions in 1978 so a 440 Six Pack would have worked well.

In 1979 EPA slapped Chrysler and made the 1979 LRT have all the emissions.

Washington state use to have SMOG testing every two years. When I'd bring my LRT in and they put it on the rollers and had me bring it to 2500 RPM, the stacks pointing up would set off the Carbon monoxide alarms in the ceiling and they would need to shut down the site and clear the building out. They had to test me outside the building and not on rollers and it passed every time.
Yeah, I know. I was just F*%^in' around with the 360 folks. :thumbsup:

I think it was Motor Trend that bought a new 1978 Little Red in LA and drove it to the Great Salt Lake. with the tail gate down they got it to a fast 145 MPH. Faster than the best 1978 Corvette.

Fast in corners? Oh HELL NO!!!

The EH1 E58 had some of the best 340 stuff inside, 340 Auto cam, windage tray, Con Rods, Heads, Intake. But was "RATED" at 225 HP with 20 more cubes than the 340.

The 360 in the 1974 Dodge charger also had good 340 stuff inside and was rated at 275 HP. So why was a LRT 50 HP shy?

I think it was Motor Trend that bought a new 1978 Little Red in LA and drove it to the Great Salt Lake. with the tail gate down they got it to a fast 145 MPH. Faster than the best 1978 Corvette.

Fast in corners? Oh HELL NO!!!

The EH1 E58 had some of the best 340 stuff inside, 340 Auto cam, windage tray, Con Rods, Heads, Intake. But was "RATED" at 225 HP with 20 more cubes than the 340.

The 360 in the 1974 Dodge charger also had good 340 stuff inside and was rated at 275 HP. So why was a LRT 50 HP shy?
ones net hp and the other gross hp, low cr 340 rated 245 net hp

more cubes equals more torque since is based on per power stroke but don't automatically mean more power since smaller engine can breathe/rev higher, rpm equals more power strokes over time aka hp.

Last edited:
The only old school engine Chrysler ever made as a true high performance engine was the 426 hemi. Everything else had a basis, first and foremost, in practicality. They needed reliable, reasonably powerful engines for mass-produced cars. These were the small blocks and wedge BB engines.

Yes there were performance variants, notably the Max wedge, and to a degree, the 340TA variants. Yeah I know that there were some fast 440s but they were all pretty handicapped by their heads.

But all suitably modified small blocks can be made to haul ***, doesn't really matter whether you are talking about 318/340/360. I do feel the 273 is pretty handicapped by the very small bore which limits valve sizing and compression, but I'm sure you can still make a lot of power with one of these as well.

-
Back