Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
That green car is almost too nice to drive in the salt. I don't know if its possible to totally protect it even with careful repainting and something like Waxoyl in the places that can't be painted.

@Tooljunkie @toolmanmike Wagoneer's alternator is putting out proper power now.
drivin-gif.gif
Not sure what I did to fix it.
confused-gif.gif

When I got to the garage I started with the Barracuda since I had to move it. Regulator is definately not working after start up. Giving it a bit of gas (1500-1800 rpm) and it would go to 17 Volts at the regulator's connector. After a few minutes it seems to cut off around 15 Volts. That's measured across regulator so that's the voltage its seeing inside. Not seeing any voltage drops between the regulator housing and the battery neg.
huh-gif.gif
I have another regulator but they're bloody expensive to be going through every year or so.

On the Wagoneer the first things I did was put the battery on the fancy charger. Then adjusted the belt tension and then retorque all of the bracket bolts through the water pump. That needed to be done anyway since I erred on the safe side yesterday.
Not satisfied with that, I thought it would be worth checking resistance in the alternator wires. Field (some call exciter) had 15.2 ohms which is about right and the others were 1/2 Ohm or less.
Fired it up and started checking current at the battery negative (nothing not sure why) and then went back to the same method I used the other day; measuring at the alternator out. Kept adding load and Voltage stayed the same.
27.4 Amps, 14.3 V at 680 rrpm with heater fan on max and headlights.
I should be happy but instead I'm kicking myself for not seperating out the testing. Now i don't know if it was the belt tension, the battery too low to get the field juiced up, or a poor connection that I temporarily 'fixed'.:rolleyes:
laugh2-gif.gif

It was nice to drive home and not have the power switch over to battery everytime I came to a stop. :)

That green car is almost too nice to drive in the salt. I don't know if its possible to totally protect it even with careful repainting and something like Waxoyl in the places that can't be painted.

@Tooljunkie @toolmanmike Wagoneer's alternator is putting out proper power now. View attachment 1715285325 Not sure what I did to fix it. View attachment 1715285326
When I got to the garage I started with the Barracuda since I had to move it. Regulator is definately not working after start up. Giving it a bit of gas (1500-1800 rpm) and it would go to 17 Volts at the regulator's connector. After a few minutes it seems to cut off around 15 Volts. That's measured across regulator so that's the voltage its seeing inside. Not seeing any voltage drops between the regulator housing and the battery neg. View attachment 1715285327 I have another regulator but they're bloody expensive to be going through every year or so.

On the Wagoneer the first things I did was put the battery on the fancy charger. Then adjusted the belt tension and then retorque all of the bracket bolts through the water pump. That needed to be done anyway since I erred on the safe side yesterday.
Not satisfied with that, I thought it would be worth checking resistance in the alternator wires. Field (some call exciter) had 15.2 ohms which is about right and the others were 1/2 Ohm or less.
Fired it up and started checking current at the battery negative (nothing not sure why) and then went back to the same method I used the other day; measuring at the alternator out. Kept adding load and Voltage stayed the same.
I should be happy but instead I'm kicking myself for not seperating out the testing. Now i don't know if it was the belt tension, the battery too low to get the field juiced up, or a poor connection that I temporarily 'fixed'.:rolleyes: View attachment 1715285328

It was nice to drive home and not have the power switch over to battery everytime I came to a stop. :)

This sometimes helps! Sounds like you are on top of it.

magicwandIV-featured.jpg

@Tooljunkie @toolmanmike Wagoneer's alternator is putting out proper power now. View attachment 1715285325 Not sure what I did to fix it. View attachment 1715285326
When I got to the garage I started with the Barracuda since I had to move it. Regulator is definately not working after start up. Giving it a bit of gas (1500-1800 rpm) and it would go to 17 Volts at the regulator's connector. After a few minutes it seems to cut off around 15 Volts. That's measured across regulator so that's the voltage its seeing inside. Not seeing any voltage drops between the regulator housing and the battery neg. View attachment 1715285327 I have another regulator but they're bloody expensive to be going through every year or so.

I should be happy but instead I'm kicking myself for not seperating out the testing. Now i don't know if it was the belt tension, the battery too low to get the field juiced up, or a poor connection that I temporarily 'fixed'.:rolleyes: View attachment 1715285328

Belt tension. Didnt i mention that the other day? I was thinking it for sure..

I remember when loom fixers would do that. Just spend a hour, adjust every damn thing. Then when it did weave right they didn't know exactly what fixed it. No worries, on to the next one.

Belt tension. Didnt i mention that the other day? I was thinking it for sure..
Yes you did. That's why I called you out. or what do the yung uns say "A shout out"
thumbs_up-gif.gif

Of the things I did, that seems to be the most likely.
Next most likely is the battery charging. My understanding of the SI alternators is the field gets power from whichever is higher voltage, the battery or the diode trio. So my thinking is if the battery is low, the field never really develops any strength.
Not saying my understanding is correct.
huh-gif.gif

Aparrently every mechanic is supposed to have one. Only to use during phone calls. You know, what do you think is wrong? Phone calls...
Really didn't help when the Tappet brothers made a regular hour of humourously helping people who called in, many describing or imitating the noises their problem car was making.
laugh2-gif.gif

Didn't like the show or its premise for a long time.
Eventually grew to see some humor in it.

Yeah. I have always just bought new or reman'd but no one local stocks these calipers and rockauto, i'd have to ship the old ones in for core charges, not sure how that works exactly. Meanwhile, I can get the rebuild kits for 1/4 of the price and now core. The core charge is more than the calipers themselves but I think i have to pay shipping on top of that. plus the polara is about learning new things. Which is why I am converting BACK to points.
It depends on what's wrong and what caliper. I've never managed to get the K-H fixed caliper piston's back in. A couple of guys here have it down pat, but I've tried several times and no go. Another issue now with those is the chroming on the pistons has been shoddy in recent years.
If you've got Bendix 4 piston calipers the core charge is high because they are rare. Use yours if they aren't ruined. See if someone makes stainless steel pistons or brass sleeve them if need be. Then bleed the brakes every Spring.
THIS
I was planning to do the ones on Duster. Bleeders were seized. I tried drilling them and fubarred the holes. And off to Autozone I went. LOL
That's the way it went on the Wagoneer's sliding calipers. Fortunately there was still a local parts store close by. They had a Cardone rebuild waiting for me when I got there. Fugly looking but they worked.

yeah. thats why i normally buy new ones, I hate them dang bleeders
Crack them with the best fitting wrench you've got. I'll sometimes use a 6 sided socket. After that can use an open end or box wrench.

No, they don't even list them. I'm gonna check with KeaganB, he works at the local advance auto, he's been able to pull part numbers up for me that others can't.
Advance is now combined with Carquest. Not sure if that will increase your odds but it might. You need a real parts store. One with at least couple warehouses they can get stuff from. I know. They've become rare.

Neighbor's latest. 67 slant, runs, but won't stay on. Sounds like it needs a carb. No rust, CA car. planning to fix n flip...

View attachment 1715285223
looks like a good starter project for the guy's neighbor, who just so happens to be getting an insurance check... just saying

Yup. I'd say thats his problem to solve.
wink-gif.gif

Bleeders are like a idle mixture screw in a carburetor. Most rebuilds have different bleeders than the oem ones. The rebuilders just drill them out, tap and install a new bleeder screw regardless of what it was made fore. Heck, the threads could be the next size up but the bleeder might be metric thread from a Toyota.

Bleeders are like a idle mixture screw in a carburetor. Most rebuilds have different bleeders than the oem ones. The rebuilders just drill them out, tap and install a new bleeder screw regardless of what it was made fore. Heck, the threads could be the next size up but the bleeder might be metric thread from a Toyota.
There are bleeder repair kits, drill and tap to 1/8” npt. A bleeder is threaded into adapter.

Just rebuild them easy to do usually even if you have a
0bBT6CY.jpg
A flat o ring and a dust boot for each piston. Just clean up the reservoir part does not mater as long as it does not hit and RA has new pistons in the universal site if needed. Oh yeah and new bleaders with anti seize on the thread and sealing surface.

A little hub-bub going on at FBBO. A car deal gone bad and a few mods want to get involved. No No No. No can do!
Says so right in the sale rules.

Well just left for good the RV forum I had just joined. Some *** hat told me "you are going to kill someone driving that fast" with my 5th wheel. 70MPH was what they were crying over. Jeezzz.

Well just left for good the RV forum I had just joined. Some *** hat told me "you are going to kill someone driving that fast" with my 5th wheel. 70MPH was what they were crying over. Jeezzz.
And lots agreed with the *** hat...

They are almost as bad as the FRRO forum. Used to go there but no more. Holy hell raise a crap load or hate when I put solar panels on my RV. Almost as bad as a 100 point build with poly bushings!

-
Back