Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
We took my Dad off it because it there is no evidence is slows or improves the Alzheimer’s condition and has cardiac side effects. For my Dad, it was depressing his heart rate which was already naturally low at 56 bpm.

Yes, my Dad was on it.

NAMZARIC is a prescription medicine approved to treat moderate to severe Alzheimer’s disease in patients who are taking donepezil hydrochloride 10 mg, the active ingredient in Aricept®.
So it is the generic form already. Dang

We took my Dad off it because it there is no evidence is slows or improves the Alzheimer’s condition and has cardiac side effects. For my Dad, it was depressing his heart rate which was already naturally low at 56 bpm.
Hmm I’ll have to try and convince my mom and grandfather and the doc of that. My grandmother has been on it for 16 years.

Can that cause strokes? Or at least increase the risk?

Good Evening All! I spent the morning de-thawing my RV, got water going. Wife got the Stinger stuck in the ditch so spent the day pulling other vehicles out (including the wrecker I called for my wifes car). It was a bit expensive but no damage so all is well. I'll post pics just for the humor, the wrecker was in the process of taking out a row of mailboxes before he would let me help him.

Good Evening All! I spent the morning de-thawing my RV, got water going. Wife got the Stinger stuck in the ditch so spent the day pulling other vehicles out (including the wrecker I called for my wifes car). It was a bit expensive but no damage so all is well. I'll post pics just for the humor, the wrecker was in the process of taking out a row of mailboxes before he would let me help him.
What was your wife doing with a missle?!? Hahahahaha j/k

We eventually took him off Aricept too. Alzheimer’s drugs only work modestly in the early stages of the disease and are useless after that. The side effects just aren’t worth it.

The only ones that are useful later are the ones that reduce aggression, and even those are only worth using for a while as the disease progresses past the aggression stage.

Can that cause strokes? Or at least increase the risk?
Only indirectly...maybe.

Stroke is not a known side effect. It can cause an irregular heartbeat that may increase the chances of stroke slightly, but there is no correlation with the drug.

The wife had a dental appt. and wanted to try out her AWD, too much hill and ice for the summer tires. The wrecker there is taking out mail boxes even though he had chains on. After I pulled him out he went back into town for a different wrecker, at least it had 4WD and got the car out w/o damage.

IMG_5181 (1).jpg

IMG_5180.jpg

IMG_5184 (3).jpg

We eventually took him off Aricept too. Alzheimer’s drugs only work modestly in the early stages of the disease and are useless after that. The side effects just aren’t worth it.

The only ones that are useful later are the ones that reduce aggression, and even those are only worth using for a while as the disease progresses past the aggression stage.
Right now she’s in the sobbing phase

You charged him the same fee to pull him out right?

He said he discounted it but yeah right, $225, kind of expected that much. It was still worth it tho because no damage to the car, he had the ability to run his hook cable under his dolly lift which put the cable at ground level. My Suburban has a 6 inch lift, rides on 37's and the angle from my winch would have cracked the front end of the car up.

Here's a car that had a worse incident on the hill today. Airbags deployed.
IMG_5177 (1).jpg

Right now she’s in the sobbing phase
That isn’t an actual Phase, but rather a part of the second stage most commonly known as the “anger stage”. It is when emotions run wild across the range of anger to helplessness. Sobbing is just one of the manifestations.

Go to ALZ.org and learn all you can. It does help.

That isn’t an actual Phase, but rather a part of the second stage most commonly known as the “anger stage”. It is when emotions run wild across the range of anger to helplessness. Sobbing is just one of the manifestations.

On it thanks.

He said he discounted it but yeah right, $225, kind of expected that much. It was still worth it tho because no damage to the car, he had the ability to run his hook cable under his dolly lift which put the cable at ground level. My Suburban has a 6 inch lift, rides on 37's and the angle from my winch would have cracked the front end of the car up.

Here's a car that had a worse incident on the hill today. Airbags deployed. View attachment 1715285472
Ouch

Customer dropped off her truck. Have to check for damage. Whiteout conditions, deep ditches dont mix.

Hmm after reading that, it seems she’s in the final stage. Every symptom she has minus the aggressiveness lines up with it. She got diagnosed very early, in her mid 50s. She’s now 73. But the last 2-3 years have been the worst. This disease is freaky. 99 percent of the time, she can’t say a single word. Has trouble recognizing her own kids, but fully recognizes me, and my two kids. And her and my 3 year old carry on conversations like normal. Then there’s days like Christmas Eve where we took her and my grandfather plus my kids to the original homestead property which I now own, and she was speaking the clearest she has in years. Fully conversations and all. The next day, it was like nobody was home and she didn’t know where she was or who most family was. Except for 4 of us, my two kids, me and my grandfather. Freaky

Hmm after reading that, it seems she’s in the final stage. Every symptom she has minus the aggressiveness lines up with it. She got diagnosed very early, in her mid 50s. She’s now 73. But the last 2-3 years have been the worst. This disease is freaky. 99 percent of the time, she can’t say a single word. Has trouble recognizing her own kids, but fully recognizes me, and my two kids. And her and my 3 year old carry on conversations like normal. Then there’s days like Christmas Eve where we took her and my grandfather plus my kids to the original homestead property which I now own, and she was speaking the clearest she has in years. Fully conversations and all. The next day, it was like nobody was home and she didn’t know where she was or who most family was. Except for 4 of us, my two kids, me and my grandfather. Freaky
I have been thru it with my father in law. Patience is key. And love..

Welcome to the World of Alzheimer’s disease. There are no specific rules, just general categories. Everyone who goes through it does so differently. One minute coherent, next minute...nothing.

I lived through 3 years of it with my Mom and 7 years with my Dad. Before that, I lived through 5 years with each of my grandparents.

I have always likened it to them being like a corrupt computer hard drive and CPU...nothing it does makes sense or will be the same with the next input.

All you can do is keep them safe and comfortable as much as you can until the end. That’s all you can do.

Welcome to the World of Alzheimer’s disease. There are no specific rules, just general categories. Everyone who goes through it does so differently. One minute coherent, next minute...nothing.

I lived through 3 years of it with my Mom and 7 years with my Dad. Before that, I lived through 5 years with each of my grandparents.

I have always likened it to them being like a corrupt computer hard drive and CPU...nothing it does makes sense or will be the same with the next input.

All you can do is keep them safe and comfortable as much as you can until the end. That’s all you can do.
Yeah trying my best. As the eldest grandchild normally this stuff wouldn’t fall onto me but it does. My aunts and uncle are out of state, my siblings and my mom all but refuse to help and just want to poke fun. So it’s on me. I don’t mind it since I lived with my grandparents more than my own parents growing up. Just sucks to see how self centered the rest of the family is.

Anyway, thanks for the advice and guidance Dave. Really means a lot. Thank you.

And to the rest of you all too.

Yeah trying my best. As the eldest grandchild normally this stuff wouldn’t fall onto me but it does. My aunts and uncle are out of state, my siblings and my mom all but refuse to help and just want to poke fun. So it’s on me. I don’t mind it since I lived with my grandparents more than my own parents growing up. Just sucks to see how self centered the rest of the family is.

Anyway, thanks for the advice and guidance Dave. Really means a lot. Thank you.

And to the rest of you all too.
Its tough for anyone close to someone suffering from alzheimers/dimentia. One friend is going through it with his brother. He works in the field so has good experience dealing with it.
A good friend’s dad is suffering with it too. “I know who you are but cant remember your name.”said to his daughter.

I had a neighbour say the exact same words to me.
Mom is 83,still driving. She reads a lot,my understanding is keeping the mind active helps.

Alzheimer’s brings out a lot of things in families. I have spent 1/3 of my like dealing with it caring for family members. Some family members are so frightened by it that they retreat and deny its existence to preserve their own sanity.

Others decide the person with it has died at the first sign of it and writes them off. The very few, with fortitude and moral center to step up and fight the long fight of care and love at their own sacrifice take over.

Just like not everyone has the will or capability to be a first responder and run toward danger, nor do all family members have the internal fortitude to care for an Alzheimer’s patient when it scares the hell out of them.

Forgiveness in every direction is the only way to get through being a dedicated caregiver.

Not everyone can do it...only a few have the ability to put aside their fear and selfishness to do what is right for the loved one.

-
Back