Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
However, fast ramp speeds tend to break valve train stuff.....In comes a roller cam....

yes, but the ramps on those Erson cams are the slowest that I've seen... Maybe too slow for a given duration @ .050...

I agree that you don't want too fast of ramp speed, but you don't want too slow either...

Goldilocks theory here, not too much - but not too little, you want just right.... :popcorn:

yes, but the ramps on those Erson cams are the slowest that I've seen... Maybe too slow for a given duration @ .050...

I agree that you don't want too fast of ramp speed, but you don't want too slow either...

Goldilocks theory here, not too much - but not too little, you want just right.... :popcorn:
I am just figuring out cam shafts, the nuances of the grinds, BUT I remember those Erson cams made some good top end power..

I haven't been on much this week...

Are they family from Japan...

I have some Japanese cousins, but they were all born in US... My uncle married a Japanese woman...
Daughter, SNL and two grand kids. SNL is in the Air Force, Japan is where they're stationed. They come back every year for a month.

I am just figuring out cam shafts, the nuances of the grinds, BUT I remember those Erson cams made some good top end power..

I installed an Erson cam in a daily driver 318, it had too much advertised duration for the given duration @ .050"... It had no power and fell on it's face when accelerating...

I took it out and never ran that cam again...

Daughter, SNL and two grand kids. SNL is in the Air Force, Japan is where they're stationed. They come back every year for a month.

My uncle was an interpreter for the state department and did a 'tour' in Japan back in the late 60's/early 70's and married a Japanese woman... He had new assignments every 4 years and was in a few different countries...

I installed an Erson cam in a daily driver 318, it had too much advertised duration for the given duration @ .050"... It had no power and fell on it's face when accelerating...

That's what I thought. Not much duration @ .050 but a pretty serious amount for total.

My uncle was an interpreter for the state department and did a 'tour' in Japan back in the late 60's/early 70's and married a Japanese woman... He had new assignments every 4 years and was in a few different countries...
They had been stationed in England, before they went to Japan. Talking about maybe Germany or Italy next.
Eventually when the kids are a little older they'll come back to the US.

That's what I thought. Not much duration @ .050 but a pretty serious amount for total.

Yep, that much advertised for a given @ .050" leads to waaaayyy too much overlap and low cylinder pressure, then idle vacuum is too low....

the one that I had came in my 68 340 S engine when the PO had it rebuilt... I had hardened valve seats installed and swapped in a MP 484/284 cam and it was much better...
Burnout.gif

That cam in a 318, would requires some real low gears. Not a good choice, IMO

They had been stationed in England, before they went to Japan. Talking about maybe Germany or Italy next.

My uncle did 2 terms in Washington DC while they had their kids (3 cousins) and then did a term in Iceland and returned to DC after that...

My mom and uncle are 3/4 German...

That makes my cousins 1/2 Japanese and 3/8 German... Talk about the loosing side of WWII.... :rolleyes:

Anyone's day ever started like this, I'm doing my morning things like taking out the dog get the garbage to the curb etc. and making my coffee, well I do those things and and more finally get time for a cup and realize I forgot to turn the pot on. I hope the rest of my day goes better.

Anyone's day ever started like this, I'm doing my morning things like taking out the dog get the garbage to the curb etc. and making my coffee, well I do those things and and more finally get time for a cup and realize I forgot to turn the pot on. I hope the rest of my day goes better.
Ah, nothing that can't be easily fixed.

That's what I don't like about Erson cams... Too much advertised duration for a given duration @ .050" = very slow ramp speed which leads to too low of vacuum at idle... View attachment 1715410024

I agree it looks like that - but really don't know until we know where the advertised comes from, and how the ramps are shaped.
That what Wyrmrider is often posting about.
And why we can't measure the Chrysler durations because they're done on the drawings - but we were able to makes some estimates that made the Dynomation results line up much closer to known dyno curves.

My 340 S Barracuda has 3.91 gears, but the MP cam ran much better....
Proof that bigger is not always better. TRW had a TP cam that the guys used to buy. 300 duration/ .500 lift. A lot of Chevy guys tried it and replaced it with a smaller stick. That cam was always good for additional sales.

I wonder if the Erson adv durations were measured at .008?
Or Less LOL It goes to show, you need to look at both numbers and not just the .050 spec. "114°, ya that will be perfect in a 318" :BangHead::BangHead:

-
Back