Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Lol, I posted up a thread on the Buick forum and I had one guy reply. He said its poor quality. The concensus for the Buick gurus is everything new is either junk or cheap. Moog ect ect ect. The only brand they sorta trust is rare parts.

The majority strongly reccomend I only replace whats needed. Because they believe everything from factory is still better than what's for sale.

Its a 55 year old car the suspension has to be worn. But what do I know.

Thoughts?
Not sure what PST has there. But I have to believe it's not 'junk' . They are right in a way though. The currently produced stuff is pretty cheesy compared to what those old parts when they were new. But, they are not new anymore. So, it's a gamble. Do you chance on the quality of the new parts or the age and wear on the old ones. I replaced everything when I did my Duster.

Like many on here I have replaced my front end on several Mopars with PST components and HDK. Is it OEM nope. Does it withstand going to track, wheel standing, 600 hp launches, and hard stops for years and years? Sure does. I am by no means an expert and I certainly do not restore as many on here do. But I drive the snot out of mine and I like PST. Just my 02.

Not sure what PST has there. But I have to believe it's not 'junk' . They are right in a way though. The currently produced stuff is pretty cheesy compared to what those old parts when they were new. But, they are not new anymore. So, it's a gamble. Do you chance on the quality of the new parts or the age and wear on the old ones. I replaced everything when I did my Duster.

I agree, ive seen some of the new stuff and it's garbage. And it comes down to exactly what your asking.

The other thing these guys fail to recognize is im in a Lesabre. Parts aren't readily available for it as they are for the more popular skylark.

My front disc brake conversion was custom made and had calipers and brackets made up for it. They don't have kits on the shelfs for it like the skylark.

I did control arm bushings on a 79 corvette a couple months ago. From old to new moog,the difference was night and day, according to the owner. Smartened up that front end a lot.
As long as you arent installing junk, one brand is as good as the other.
When i did the 65 mustang, my opinion is that heim joints shouldnt be used on daily drivers, but that was what was supplied. Im a believer that all front end wear parts should be greaseable.

Buick snobbery rears it's head again. If it's not NOS, or made from unobtainium it's just not good enough.
I would feel far safer if all the parts were new, quality pieces, rather than 55 year old oe with who knows how many miles of use.
It's your car, do what you think is best.

Lol, I posted up a thread on the Buick forum and I had one guy reply. He said its poor quality. The concensus for the Buick gurus is everything new is either junk or cheap. Moog ect ect ect. The only brand they sorta trust is rare parts.

The majority strongly reccomend I only replace whats needed. Because they believe everything from factory is still better than what's for sale.

Its a 55 year old car the suspension has to be worn. But what do I know.

Thoughts?
Buick front end has to be the same as Chevy......right?

Buick snobbery rears it's head again. If it's not NOS, or made from unobtainium it's just not good enough.
I would feel far safer if all the parts were new, quality pieces, rather than 55 year old oe with who knows how many miles of use.

I agree, but its fruitless arguing with them.

Piece together parts from Rock Auto? They have a few brands. I bought AC Delco parts for my Swinger and although it was made off shore (but not China) it was real nice stuff. I just looked up a couple steering parts for a 65 LeSabre and it looked like there were choices.

Buick front end has to be the same as Chevy......right?

Thats a gray area. Some people say yes and some say no.

For example some of the suspension stuff for the chevelle will not interchange with the skylark of the same year.

I've also read about people buying front disc brake conversions ment for impalas only to find out they won't work on the other b body cars like mine.

The last really nice day here for a week.
All this parts talk, I think I'll get the cars out later and go limber them up. :thumbsup:

IMG_1726.JPG

IMG_1586.JPG

Piece together parts from Rock Auto? They have a few brands. I bought AC Delco parts for my Swinger and although it was made off shore (but not China) it was real nice stuff. I just looked up a couple steering parts for a 65 LeSabre and it looked like there were choices.

Thats something I've been working on.

I first started at Napa since they carry moog. Everything was going well till we got to the ball joints. Their computer shows they go for about 150-200 per joint. I called up the guy i bought my disc kit from he says thats actually a kit that comes with 2.

Further more they couldn't find some of the rubbers so they quoted me the whole part new.

Everything said and done the estimate was $1,3k for the front end.

So I looked up rare parts and they have most of the stuff but the price just dosen't compare to PST.

Actually what's crazy is both the rear upper and lower trailing arms from ride tech I installed on my buick were ment for the A body.

Gimmie the chevy!
You'd have to fight the wife for it...haha!!
We've been to a couple car shows, and offered really good money on the spot.
She always tells them "No, its NEVER for sale". :(

You'd have to fight the wife for it...haha!!
We've been to a couple car shows, and offered really good money on the spot.
She always tells them "No, its NEVER for sale". :(
It's only money. More is made every day. Not so for old cars....

Give you new guys a little peek. It's a SBC 400 under the hood with an old B&M scoop.

IMG_1737.JPG

IMG_1741.JPG

IMG_1732.JPG

car show 5.jpg

Thanks!!
A friend and I did the engine when we rebuilt it a couple years ago.
It came with a lot of red/blue AN and I changed it all out to nickle for the look.
I got the idea of the shroud to cover the radiator off an old pic I saw in a magazine.
I drew it up and a friend made it for me...one piece.
Like she says "its only money, and why leave it all to the kids".

-
Back