Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
It is probably my crappy work installing the oil pan. However this drip showed up first after priming the engine oil system. I took pan back off and resealed then. Still a small drop. Then this.
What oil pan

I think I can get it off with engine in the car. I have never tried before...

Easy job. Came right out

20210824_082404.jpg

Yes. Since start a small drip. Small small. But now that I am doing a little more spirited testing major leak from rear area. Minor major. Not gushing out. But a steady leak . occurs hot even while not driving. Just in neutral and reving it up. I am going to pull pan and reseal it. PITA. And go from there.
Tim priming the pump would be the rear crank seal no pressure on the pan gasket then. Be nice to have all the info Sparky!

Tim priming the pump would be the rear crank seal no pressure on the pan gasket then. Be nice to have all the info Sparky!
I had to give the problem some thought, when it started. Then I remembered the drip after priming......after resealing the pan, it still had a small drip .....Well, pan is off now..... onward...

All I know is Tim has me worried that I need to check my Rear main seal BEFORE I put it in the car. Hmmm engine test stand build ?

Well, that was easy. Removed oil pump, removed rear main cap, Seal was cut! Nicked. or just defective... So just replace the easy part, the part in the cap!! Picture does not show anything..... But I am still going to replace the entire seal....on second thought....

Well, that was easy. Removed oil pump, removed rear main cap, Seal was cut! Nicked. or just defective... So just replace the easy part, the part in the cap!! Picture does not show anything..... But I am still going to replace the entire seal....on second thought....
Do it right this time :poke:

Road test is a success!
Steering box definitely has less play, think i can adjust it a little more. So driving at 60 mph with one hand is do-able,and at 2,000 RPM’s i might add:thumbsup:

and i thought timing was a little advanced,i set it (roughly) when i was battling with the carb and never went back to recheck. So now with the taller gear, 2nd pings a little when i stand on it.

Do it right this time :poke:
I did not assemble the short block. OR install the rear main seal. BUT it was easy to replace. Removed spark plugs, pushed the top seal around as I turned the crank by the front bolt, and rolled it out. Installing the opposite. All done. Oiled the seal to get it to slide in easier...

Last edited:
Road test is a success!
Steering box definitely has less play, think i can adjust it a little more. So driving at 60 mph with one hand is do-able,and at 2,000 RPM’s i might add:thumbsup:

and i thought timing was a little advanced,i set it (roughly) when i was battling with the carb and never went back to recheck. So now with the taller gear, 2nd pings a little when i stand on it.
Using an old style timing chain cover, on magnum. Have to use a magnum balancer, so timing marks are not in the right place. So just use a timing tape, right? All the reviews say the same thing, they come off at speed. Guess what? They are correct! Came off! POS...

-
Back