Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
When I got up for work this morning it was only 30 ish, its usually 20 something in january.
Its like a game; since the defrost does not work in my truck, I have to drive by the side windows. the windshield does not de-ice until I get there usually:lol:

Get a plastic container about a quarts worth fill with water before ya leave the house, NOT HOT!, but a little warm maybe, throw it on the truck windows. Save container for the next morning.

Get a plastic container about a quarts worth fill with water before ya leave the house, NOT HOT!, but a little warm maybe, throw it on the truck windows. Save container for the next morning.
well yeah, I thought about that but my 4 am morning brain cannot comprehend such abstract forethought:poke::rofl::rofl:

If the garden hose ain't froze that can be an option tooo :lol:

When I was stationed in Korea, the commander's driver was a guy from Mississippi. Complained about the ice and snow on the windshield. Someone suggested he dump hot water on it.

The C.O. was not happy to have to ride to his meeting without a windshield.

So question. How are electric cars going to produce heat? I’m guessing some sort of electric coil similar to a space heater?
I ask cause I’m curious how long a fully electric car could sit on i95 in a snow storm before needing a charge?

When I was stationed in Korea, the commander's driver was a guy from Mississippi. Complained about the ice and snow on the windshield. Someone suggested he dump hot water on it.

HOT only works once and it get breezy thereafter :rofl:

At least he could see!:lol:

Tesla Winter Survival Kit

AM3240_VULCAN-BBQ-KIT-COOLER-WITH-TROLLEY_s3.jpg

:rofl:

If the garden hose ain't froze that can be an option tooo :lol:
When I had my 64 Sport fury in Indiana, in the winter, I always hosed it off after driving in the snow, with a hose connected the the water heater. Kept it from rusting away....

So question. How are electric cars going to produce heat? I’m guessing some sort of electric coil similar to a space heater?
I ask cause I’m curious how long a fully electric car could sit on i95 in a snow storm before needing a charge?

Heat pump essentially...and heated seats/ steering wheel.

Range reduces by about 50% in cold weather. And that's a relative "cold". Sitting in 13" snow on an interstate... better have your -40 bag in the frunk.

@Tooljunkie ...lol....don't even bother

Oh....and Tesla recommends keeping it plugged in to preheat the batteries...

More coal please

Customer says to gas station attendant in mid winter in Barstow "Well ... Aren't you going to wash my windshield?"
Response "It's too cold."
"Well I want it washed" says customer.
Attendant proceeds to cover driver's side of windshield with ice. "Have a nice drive." :rolleyes:

Those batteries going dead in that weather is a huge concern. Might cause someones death. You have to think about something. First, extreme temps affect a batteries ability to keep a charge. Hot or cold. Second, unlike a internal combustion powered vehicle, which used wasted energy to produce heat, an electric car has to use battery power to do the same. So sitting in that cold is a perfect recipe for problems.... IMO, electric powered cars are not ready for prime time...no matter what they want you to believe...

Those batteries going dead in that weather is a huge concern. Might cause someones death. You have to think about something. First, extreme temps affect a batteries ability to keep a charge. Hot or cold. Second, unlike a internal combustion powered vehicle, which used wasted energy to produce heat, an electric car has to use battery power to do the same. So sitting in that cold is a perfect recipe for problems.... IMO, electric powered cars are not ready for prime time...no matter what they want you to believe...

And being stranded in a midwinter traffic disaster is rather hard to predict.

Heat pump essentially...and heated seats/ steering wheel.

Range reduces by about 50% in cold weather. And that's a relative "cold". Sitting in 13" snow on an interstate... better have your -40 bag in the frunk.

@Tooljunkie ...lol....don't even bother

Oh....and Tesla recommends keeping it plugged in to preheat the batteries...

More coal please
I was wondering that after seeing the Virginia mess. Assuming a full charge, at idle, you’re looking at 3 hrs tops. My diesel can idle for 24 hrs and burn about 20.8 gallons if it consumes what the owners manual says (.87 gal per hour at 0 degrees). If I had a full tank (53 gallons), I could technically idle for nearly 2 days

Correct Tim. Battery technology has not moved very much over time. I ran into that in my former life and as a lot of our Northern friends know, extreme cold is battery kryptonite. That being said, at least in the cold the battery just dies. In the heat that can be a more violent death.

FYI - My post above was based upon a Consumer Reports article from a couple of years ago using a Nissan Leaf and a Tesla Model 3.

I’m curious how extreme cold and drain to 0 will affect those expensive batteries

I also question what would will happen if they were mostly electric cars - say 50-75% like they are pushing for. That said, when the batteries do go dead, then what? People are in danger and freeway is full of dead cars that cant be moved. Maybe a bunch of diesel generators and extension cords??? Internal combustion engines, add more go juice and get the cars off the road.

I’m curious how extreme cold and drain to 0 will affect those expensive batteries
Tesla has a onboard battery heating system, that uses battery power to run.... Tesla knows full well the issues. BUT we have to start somewhere.... Fossil fuel will run out some day, if we are still on this planet...

I also question what would will happen if they were mostly electric cars - say 50-75% like they are pushing for. That said, when the batteries do go dead, then what? People are in danger and freeway is full of dead cars that cant be moved. Maybe a bunch of diesel generators and extension cords??? Internal combustion engines, add more go juice and get the cars off the road.

Hope for good hearted dinosaur powered drivers with tow straps?

Maybe the big freeway plow trucks could just push them in the ditch on the way thru?

Maybe the big freeway plow trucks could just push them in the ditch on the way thru?

Speaking of which :lol: When I went to town this morning for take out breakfast from Black Bear Diner :D, what do I see?
A CalTrans F350 4WD sporting a plow cruising through town. Been a long while since I've seen such in this neighborhood :realcrazy:

-
Back