Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Well, apparently I wasn't able to recreate the initial alignment as well as I would have liked. Vibration.... not anything violent but doesn't feel right. Guess I'll need to play with it a bit. Caster and camber are a challenge. Toe is good
Joe's Tire and Alignment is your friend. String and a tape measure isn't accurate enough when machines measure in 1/10 of a degree.

Joe's Tire and Alignment is your friend. String and a tape measure isn't accurate enough when machines measure in 1/10 of a degree.
Yep. It’s fine to get around during a build or while you have burner tires on. But even the PO S Neon got shop alignment when I bought new tires.

Made some progress! Pieced it in. Taped and gooped.
I’m now up to the point I had hoped to be by this (past) Monday. :thumbsup:

0C72041B-3098-414B-8B0C-AB6CC178DC44.jpeg

What ya get? Milk, bread, eggs, pound of hamburger and a 6 pack? :rolleyes:
You ain’t far off. For two packs of hot dogs, a gallon a milk, a loaf of bread, two pounds of potatoes salad, two packs of buns. And a watermelon, equaled 101.35… this morning

WTF Where do you shop? The 2# of potato salad is the problem. I could get all that for $25 or so.

You ain’t far off. For two packs of hot dogs, a gallon a milk, a loaf of bread, two pounds of potatoes salad, two packs of buns. And a watermelon, equaled 101.35… this morning
That’s nuts! I actually got 2 for $5 on Ballpark beef dogs last week. I’m sure I could do under $30 for that order.

WTF Where do you shop? The 2# of potato salad is the problem. I could get all that for $25 or so.
Yeh, prepared stuff like that is ridiculous. I gave the wife hell for buying already cut up melon last week. Was like $5 for a little container for honeydew and cantaloupe. The whole melons are like half that and it takes a couple minutes to cut one up :BangHead:

Kroger. Each pound was 8.99. Milk was 3.99, hotdogs were 2/5 Ecrich. They were out of the cheap buns, so I got stuck with the 6 dollar a pack ones.

oh I did forget to add the sweet corn to that list. And it was 2 gallons of milk.

Yeh, prepared stuff like that is ridiculous. I gave the wife hell for buying already cut up melon last week. Was like $5 for a little container for honeydew and cantaloupe. The whole melons are like half that and it takes a couple minutes to cut one up :BangHead:
Watermelon was 7.99…

So far can't get any of the local shops to agree to do it at all...or. return phone calls. Amazing how "the guy that does that" is never around. :mad:

Toe is good
But toe is done last.
Ride ht, - > camber - > caster - > toe.
recheck camber after caster as those two are tighty related.

Alignment shouldn't cause a vibration. It should cause pull or tire wear, which eventually might cause cupping.
Strings are OK for toe.
Need a bubble gage or digital version for camber and caster... I assume you have that.

But toe is done last.
Ride ht, - > camber - > caster - > toe.
recheck camber after caster as those two are tighty related.

Alignment shouldn't cause a vibration. It should cause pull or tire wear, which eventually might cause cupping.
Strings are OK for toe.
Need a bubble gage or digital version for camber and caster... I assume you have that.

Been working caster camber with a plumb bob and measuring tape. I'll go back through in that order and see .

Smart camber is pretty good for the price.
I still prefer bubble gages. The hitch is mounting consistantly to the hub. Can't reference off of tires. Rims are OK although not perfect. Smart camber uses the rim.

Been working caster camber with a plumb bob and measuring tape. I'll go back through in that order and see .
I gd I remember doing that!
Talk about the toughest way to do it.

Do you have any smooth, somewhat level and flat area? I have a "hitman alignment" system in the box. Havent used it in years. its a PIA as the dust covers need to be removed from the hubs - and also two wheel nuts.

Watermelon was 7.99…
Buy local and in season.
OTH if that was a 25 pound watermelon, maybe not a bad price at all. :)

Blue berries and strawberries going for about $5 a quart at the farm market. Def higher than past years. Peaches just coming into season $2.50/pound. Cheaper if you go the farmstands of course.

Think I will clean up and go hit a few stores. Not sure what's open tomorrow, but I try to avoid any shopping on holidays. I will in a pinch, but I like having the day off and don't want to encourage stores to make anyone else work.

Beef prices are up about 2 dollars a pound from last year best I can tell.

Do you have any smooth, somewhat level and flat area? I have a "hitman alignment" system in the box. Havent used it in years. its a PIA as the dust covers need to be removed from the hubs - and also two wheel nuts.

:D working with the tools I have at hand.

Yes. Garage floor is level concrete...(checked that early on to make sure I wasn't chasing my tail)

20220703_151029.jpg

Is there any rules of thumb when it comes to adjusting the caster bolts on the UCA?

Well howdy all. I sorta got voluntold for a tripto Mexico so back on a different boat yesterday. Only good thing is it will help pay for the septic system on the house. $20k is steap for one. Supposed tobe 11 days total.

Buy local and in season.
OTH if that was a 25 pound watermelon, maybe not a bad price at all. :)

Blue berries and strawberries going for about $5 a quart at the farm market. Def higher than past years. Peaches just coming into season $2.50/pound. Cheaper if you go the farmstands of course.
It is in season.

But yeah.

Is there any rules of thumb when it comes to adjusting the caster bolts on the UCA?
Couple of coffee club tips.
Moving either bolt changes caster about twice as much as camber.
Depending on front and rear suspension mods, there is some degree of challenge in getting a lot of positive caster.

There's at least couple different approaches. The Master Tech goes over at least one time saver approach.
Starting from scratch, I'd start with both bolts at mid-point. Drop the car and see what the camber and caster is.
To change just camber, move both bolts the same distance (rotation).
Drop the car and remeasure.
With the camber close to what the tires want, then go onto caster.
To get more positive caster, move just the rear bolt inward if there is room to do that.
That will increase negative camber somewhat, and increase positive caster more.

-
Back