Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
I still need to decide if i'm gonna try using my 1962 pump that sat for 45 years.. or my LA pump with unknown miles..... Gotta roll them dice :) The carters look rebuildable but read up that they really aren't (the old school screw together ones)

I still need to decide if i'm gonna try using my 1962 pump that sat for 45 years.. or my LA pump with unknown miles..... Gotta roll them dice :) The carters look rebuildable but read up that they really aren't (the old school screw together ones)
Used to be able to buy kits. Not any more.

Yes...

Should be today :thumbsup:
Outstanding
That La pump could be a good one, my vote is the LA with unknown mileage

Outstanding

That La pump could be a good one, my vote is the LA with unknown mileage
And will carry a spare in the toolbox in the trunk.. along with a points dist and spare coil... i have never been towed home and don't wanna start now :)

And will carry a spare in the toolbox in the trunk.. along with a points dist and spare coil... i have never been towed home and don't wanna start now :)
Same here, and a ballast resistor. I got towed in one time, just up my driveway after my 66 Sedan was struck by lightning, replaced the ignition wiring when it was my daily driver, great little 170 /6 I put together

Picture 222 092.jpg

Same here, and a ballast resistor. I got towed in one time, just up my driveway after my 66 Sedan was struck by lightning, replaced the ignition wiring when it was my daily driver, great little 170 /6 I put together

View attachment 1716111180
*adding a jump wire to my list of spares to carry... Never had a ballast go bad but it will happen eventually :)

Actually... with the pertronix setup i wonder if i even need a ballast anymore... need to check on that

Kid just needs a little more education other than what he's getting today in school...JMO.

1688646381062.png

The one I have coming is a Carter

Today is a down day and I get study all day and focus preparing for teaching tomorrow/Saturday. On plus side we get to do some force on force at some point tomorrow or this weekend depending how class progresses. That is always a hoot! We are training a school commissioned security class.in our State they literally have to pass same shooting qual as LEO. While I wholeheartedly agree, I personally would like the qual to be a bit more challenging. Not competitive shooter type hard but more than a sobriety test!

Not sure what I am going to do today. I cruised around on my trails yesterday with the ATV. I need to walk them and clear them of broken branches and sticks.

yeah.. i honestly trust that 60 year old pump more than buying a new one... i'm sure the diaphragm has to be shot though
That's the risk.
Changes in fuel composition in the early 70s killed some rubber parts. And that happened again a few times after that as Im sure you know.

There are some guys who rebuild fuel pumps, have parts, and/or will uncrimp and recrimp the crimped types.

Mancini had rebuild kits for the after market carters. Not sure if they still do. Watch out for the spring force. Its too high on some of the Carters. Should max out around 6 psi, not 7 or over.

Watch out for the spring force. Its too high on some of the Carters. Should max out around 6 psi, not 7 or over.
In the aftermarket
Carter M6902, if available, should be good. M6720 is not - pressure too high.

The Holley '110' mechanical pump p/n 12-360-11 has been a solid performer for me.

Mechanical Fuel Delivery for Mopar LA Engines

Mopar Performance and Edlebrock had 6 valve pumps which should work fine but only IF installed on an engine with a '69 down water pump.

That's the risk.
Changes in fuel composition in the early 70s killed some rubber parts. And that happened again a few times after that as Im sure you know.

There are some guys who rebuild fuel pumps, have parts, and/or will uncrimp and recrimp the crimped types.

Mancini had rebuild kits for the after market carters. Not sure if they still do. Watch out for the spring force. Its too high on some of the Carters. Should max out around 6 psi, not 7 or over.
And be prepared to deal with high pressure. Check the pressure to make sure. Mopar Joe a buddy of mine replaced the pump on his 383 with a Car Quest replacement. The damn thing always ran rich, black smoke, loading up etc. Joe is one of those guys that doesn't diagnose the problem just goes another direction. He had a 500 horse 440 built. When we swapped the engine, I transferred the pump to the new engine. It ran pig rich as well. He had a stock car buddy come over one night to tune the AFB but couldn't lean it out far enough to make it run right. I got thinking that the pump was transferred to the new engine. We checked the pressure and sure enough it was 7+ pounds. AFB's only like 5# tops. He went to Car Quest and bought another pump, put it on and it was 11# right out of the box. A regulator fixed the issue. So be aware. Sorry for the long story!

fuel pump 002.jpg
Morning . My pump after 20 years.

-
Back